Weird adjust controls on LCD

da na

Picked up an LCD yesterday that I assume is from 2000-2005 era. Looking through the menus it has many adjust options I have only seen on CRTs, such as horizontal/vertical adjust. It also has clock and phase adjust, whatever those do, and black level adjust as well as RGB/contrast/brightness adjust. Was this a common thing on analog LCDs?
Thanks! 

8 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Picked up an LCD yesterday that I assume is from 2000-2005 era. Looking through the menus it has many adjust options I have only seen on CRTs, such as horizontal/vertical adjust. It also has clock and phase adjust, whatever those do, and black level adjust as well as RGB/contrast/brightness adjust. Was this a common thing on analog LCDs?
Thanks! 

http://www.techmind.org/lcd/phasexplan.html

As for horizontal / vertical adjust... I somehow recall tinkering with the option on my ancient cheap monitor back then.
And the level of panic I was in because I couldn't see my windows taskbar.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

6 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Was this a common thing on analog LCDs?

Yes, very much so. There was also an option called "Auto-Adjust" that would try to do all that for you automagically. However there were some instances where you would still have to adjust manually to get rid of the black borders.

2 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Yes, very much so. There was also an option called "Auto-Adjust" that would try to do all that for you automagically. However there were some instances where you would still have to adjust manually to get rid of the black borders.

And I do recall throwing every curse words I know at the monitor & the brand after choosing Auto-Adjust and it ended up still messy as heck.

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

@PoinkachuUsually happens to me when I have a user try to use it on a remote call. It's always a pleasure trying to walk through a non-tech savvy individual through the super clunky HUD of most monitors to fix this if Auto-Detect doesn't work.

Those are for the VGA input.  The monitor has to accept VGA signals from various sources (video card, industrial machines, all kinds of hardware that's not computer video cards). 

Some devices may not send a 100% compliant vga signal or they send the image formatted in such a way as was expected to be when used with a specific monitor (for example let's say a monitor had a 1 cm border covering the screen, so the maker of the industrial machine adjusted the vga video card to move image to the right 1 cm to be able to see the image.  On your LCD monitor, you can adjust the offset so you don't have a 1 cm border.

12 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Yeah, auto adjust looks fine on VGA to DVI. I'll just stick with it

37 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

@PoinkachuUsually happens to me when I have a user try to use it on a remote call. It's always a pleasure trying to walk through a non-tech savvy individual through the super clunky HUD of most monitors to fix this if Auto-Detect doesn't work.

Oh trust me brother, I can feel ya.
My friends always turned to me whenever they have pc problem.

Apparently, the sentence "Just keep clicking next button until there are no next button" is rocket science to a bachelor degree.
Windows had to be reinstalled was the problem.
The worst part? it wasn't the first , nor the 2nd time he had to be helped with it.

Your experience is most likely worse though, since in my case I wasn't paid so I assumed I'm allowed to verbosely express my frustation and ... rage.

Refresh before you reply