Is my laptop secondary HDD failing?

ChocoMocoHD

Hi,
My laptop has a 128gb nvme ssd which has the operating system on it and is the C drive, and a secondary 1TB seagate hdd (st1000lm035) which is the D drive. The D drive boots fine but after a random period of time will disconnect and won't reappear until restart.
I have run crystal disk info which says caution and says the problem is with reallocated sectors count (says 96 current, 96 worst, 36 threshold. not sure what these numbers mean) but all the other things are blue rather than the yellow caution. Running a seatools test seems to pass the short generic test and the smart test but when running a long generic test, after some time the D drive will end up disconnected which means it fails the test. Running a chkdsk has been successful once but usually has failed(when the drive disconnects), I've tried letting it repair the drive on boot rather than with the drive unmounted but both have resulted in the drive disconnecting, usually the chkdsk gets stuck at a certain percentage and then the drive disconnects. The drive appears in bios, it usually works fine on boot and then after some time will disconnect meaning I have to restart again. The fact it works fine at boot means I have been able to backup my data(although I had to do this in multiple efforts as it would usually disconnect mid file transfer). When it disconnects, going to disk management to try and get it to recognise the disk again does not work. The drive appears in the hidden section of device manager when it ends up disconnecting. I've tried uninstalling the driver on device manager and rebooting and it still hasn't changed a thing. Over the past few months i would occasionally get a notification that I needed to restart to repair drive errors which were related to the D: drive (I think there are some corrupted files or something), though the drive never stopped working and I presumed chkdsk had dealt with those problems. I'm not sure what to do, I've ended up buying a 2.5 sata ssd in case I need to replace the hdd but before I open the packaging I'd like to confirm that the hard drive is indeed failing.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

7 minutes ago, ChocoMocoHD said:

st1000lm035

Im pretty sure those are a known bad model. Those issues are all simmilar to that of a bad drive.

Id guess its a bad drive, and replace it with a ssd. 

18 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Im pretty sure those are a known bad model. Those issues are all simmilar to that of a bad drive.

https://www.cheadledatarecovery.co.uk/2018/02/st2000lm007-st1000lm035-worst-hdd-ever/

Yup, good to know as I have one that came in one of my laptops but I immediately replaced with an SSD at the time.  Now I know to avoid using this drive for anything important.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

18 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Thanks for the help, yes I will be replacing it once i figure out how to unscrew the stripped screw I've got at the bottom of my laptop.

17 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

https://www.cheadledatarecovery.co.uk/2018/02/st2000lm007-st1000lm035-worst-hdd-ever/

Yup, good to know as I have one that came in one of my laptops but I immediately replaced with an SSD at the time.  Now I know to avoid using this drive for anything important.

Cheers for the link, will definitely be replacing it when I can.

I've replaced it with an SSD now and everything is fine, I appreciate the help. 

Just a quick question someone may be able to help with. Windows still lists some programs that were installed on the old drive and won't let me uninstall them from the control panel because it can't find the uninstaller. I assume this has to do with the leftover registry stuff from the old programs. Is there an easy way to get rid of these?