Is worth the repair? EVGA GTX 660TI

Sata 3 Trip

Hello everybody, how are u guys?

I had an EVGA GTX 660 TI, it's completely functional but, the heat-sink is damaged because I applied wrong thermal paste (metallic...)

The core of the board has some damages too, but it's minimal if compared with the heat-sink.

I would like to know if someone still selling this model of heat-sink and if it's worth refurbishing this GPU, to stay as a test board.

Thanks in advance, there is some photos of the model and the damage.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rx2Gyzc5pjGQgKzv5

*PS: Is not working properly with games, they froze and sometimes I lost video (overheating).

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

The heatsink seems to have a copper coldplate looking at its color so it shouldnt be damaged, just a visual defect

Gpu die wise idk its prob just some residue

@Sata 3 TripI agree sand down cooler, with fine grit sand paper and leave GPU alone, just clean using isopropyl alcohol or similar 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

2 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

@Sata 3 TripI agree sand down cooler, with fine grit sand paper and leave GPU alone, just clean using isopropyl alcohol or similar 

Yeah it seems to just have bubbled a little and fused with the heatsink but not really damaged it much. So pretty much as you said fine grit sandpaper and the heatsink will be flat again.

8 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You can lap that probably. Aka just sand it down well and flat. The cheapest option and it will be fine too.

5 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

The heatsink seems to have a copper coldplate looking at its color so it shouldnt be damaged, just a visual defect

Gpu die wise idk its prob just some residue

4 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Thanks guys, I'm gonna sand the heatsink and try. My main worry is with the core, I can feel the surface is lightly rough (and the games freezing/crashing seems like a bad thing).

20220119_201622.jpg

@Sata 3 Trip

Also don't be cheap with the paste, use a blop of tim about this size, if the paste is thick, use a litte less:

image.png.baff105049988f4c021ead1318b51807.png

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

1 minute ago, Sata 3 Trip said:

Thanks guys, I'm gonna sand the heatsink and try. My main worry is with the core, I can feel the surface is lightly rough (and the games freezing/crashing seems like a bad thing).

Dont worry about it just dont use too little thermal paste

FS in Denmark/EU:

1 minute ago, DoctorNick said:

@Sata 3 Trip

Also don't be cheap with the paste, use a blop of tim about this size, if the paste is thick, use a litte less:

Ok, do you recommend what kind of thermal paste? I have a cheap one from Aliexpress (but doesn't last long).

Just now, Sata 3 Trip said:

Ok, do you recommend what kind of thermal paste? I have a cheap one from Aliexpress (but doesn't last long).

Simple arctic mx4 cheap good reliable is plenty. Lasts a while too. Generic crap paste from aliexpress is just not a great idea.

Also for this thermal paste application you want to smear it out so it covers the gpu well and then put another blob in the middle that can spread to fill all the parts that need to be filled. Usually that spreading out isn't needed but since your gpu and heatsink are in no longer great condition on the surface helping it out with spreading the paste is not a bad idea :p.

2 minutes ago, Sata 3 Trip said:

Something like Arctic MX-4 or whatever will work great. 

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Simple arctic mx4 cheap good reliable is plenty. Lasts a while too. Generic crap paste from aliexpress is just not a great idea.

Also for this thermal paste application you want to smear it out so it covers the gpu well and then put another blob in the middle that can spread to fill all the parts that need to be filled. Usually that spreading out isn't needed but since your gpu and heatsink are in no longer great condition on the surface helping it out with spreading the paste is not a bad idea :p.

3 minutes ago, Bearded_Ed said:

Something like Arctic MX-4 or whatever will work great. 

I bought one of this but, It's from Aliexpress so, 0% reliability. Anyway thanks a lot for all the suggestions.

Screenshot_1.png

Whatever you do, make sure you use an electrically non-conductive TIM. I've accidentally killed a GPU once by using a conductive TIM.

Usually it wouldn't matter too much on a CPU (because of the heatspreader), but with a bare-die GPU like this, better to be sure.

1 minute ago, Sata 3 Trip said:

I bought one of this but, It's from Aliexpress so, 0% reliability. Anyway thanks a lot for all the suggestions.

Screenshot_1.png

I mean just buy it from any other store it's less than 10$ for a big tube. Don't even need that much.

14 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

@Sata 3 Trip

When applying directly on-die you'll want to spread the paste manually. You do not want a single mm² not covered by thermal paste - which can happen when just spreading it by the pressure of the heatsink. That could lead to hotspots and a dead GPU. Don't be afraid to apply too much. Unless you apple the whole syringe, there is no such thing as too much thermal paste.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

When applying directly on-die you'll want to spread the paste manually. You do not want a single mm² not covered by thermal paste - which can happen when just spreading it by the pressure of the heatsink. That could lead to hotspots and a dead GPU. Don't be afraid to apply too much. Unless you apple the whole syringe, there is no such thing as too much thermal paste.

@Sata 3 TripIf you find this method easier do this. I like the other method better and get no air bobbles this way. Edit: I don't see how this could kill the GPU. Might run a little hot if too little thermal paste is applied 😄

FS in Denmark/EU:

53 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

@Sata 3 Trip

Uhhh you wanna cover the entire die, gpus are direct die so if something isnt covered that makes a hotspot and ruins temps

Just now, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Uhhh you wanna cover the entire die, gpus are direct die so if something isnt covered that makes a hotspot and ruins temps

Hence the giant blop.

FS in Denmark/EU: