How should I best format my PC before sale?

Hakiroto

Hi, everyone. I'm selling a gaming PC this week so will need to format the SSD. Right now, it's running Windows 11 and the license is tied to my Microsoft account (it's not an OEM license) and it's been sold without a Windows license. The buyer will likely want to test the PC before taking it, though, so I need to have it set up for them but would then want to format it. Is Windows' Settings  > Update and security  > Recovery > Reset PC enough for this? I've never used that as I typically just format when installing Windows fresh from a USB. I just don't want to get stuck needing to wait a while for it to format, etc. Are there still legit installs of Windows available that are limited without a license or something?

Any other tips before sale? Thanks!

If the buyer want to test out the PC, then, just reset your PC (delete all file) with Windows tools, and let the buyer test it under your controls.

After that, if the buyer accept, delete Windows by using drive wiper USB. (or format tools is just enough) then reset it to factory settings.

Just now, HQuan said:

What do you mean?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I know some people install Windows sourced directly from Microsoft and don't activate it, meaning they can still use it but certain features are limited. No idea if that's still a thing as I've always had paid licenses through work but I just wondered if installing Windows fresh, without my license, would make things easier. I'd have to mess around setting up drivers and stuff if they wanted to test a game so it's not worth it, I guess. Thanks for the reply.

3 minutes ago, HQuan said:

If the buyer want to test out the PC, then, just reset your PC (delete all file) with Windows tools, and let the buyer test it under your controls.

After that, if the buyer accept, delete Windows by using drive wiper USB. (or format tools is just enough) then reset it to factory settings.

no, that won't remove the license, like he wants.

What you need to do, grab an 8GB USB Drive, and download the Windows Media Creation Tool 

You can DL Win10 or Win11 there.

Run through the installer, do "Custom" and delete all partitions, and then let it install windows.  (If you're offline, there's no way to use a key.)

Don't complete the setup, and you're done.  

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

no, that won't remove the license, like he wants.

What you need to do, grab an 8GB USB Drive, and download the Windows Media Creation Tool 

You can DL Win10 or Win11 there.

Run through the installer, do "Custom" and delete all partitions, and then let it install windows.  (If you're offline, there's no way to use a key.)

Don't complete the setup, and you're done.  

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that's exactly how I reinstall Windows if I want to set things up fresh. I guess I'll let them test it as is and if they want to buy it, run that tool and stop when asked for a license. I recently created an up-to-date Windows 11 installer using the Media Creation Tool so I'm good to go. Thanks. Much appreciated.

Just now, Hakiroto said:

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that's exactly how I reinstall Windows if I want to set things up fresh. I guess I'll let them test it as is and if they want to buy it, run that tool and stop when asked for a license. I recently created an up-to-date Windows 11 installer using the Media Creation Tool so I'm good to go. Thanks. Much appreciated.

just run the installer, and when it reboots, turn it off.  That's all you need to do.

DBAN the drives.

Re-install Win10, skip the license, it'll run anyway just fine, install all updates and drivers, let new buyer test from there.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

13 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

DBAN the drives.

Re-install Win10, skip the license, it'll run anyway just fine, install all updates and drivers, let new buyer test from there.

Not meant for SSDs, it destroys them. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red