CPU Cooler Recommendations

JeremyDS77

I scored a 5800x for a great deal due to a friend buying the wrong item. So I'm swapping out the 5600x I currently have for it. I'm looking for cooler recommendations. I have a Thermaltake Versa H22. Since I wasn't planning for a new build, a new case isn't an option. The case only supports a 120mm AIO which would have to be mounted at the back. As for air coolers, the max height is 155mm. Using PCPartPicker to help with compatibility, I found that the usual favorites from Noctua and beQuiet are too large. So far I have found the following air coolers: Scthye Fuma 2, Cryorig H7, and beQuiet Dark Rock TF 2. And that is in addition to the 120mm AIO's. What are people's thoughts? I've read/heard many say the 120 AIO's are no better than an air cooler unless space is restricted. I'm not an overclocker and only upgrading since it was so cheap.

12 minutes ago, JeremyDS77 said:

I scored a 5800x for a great deal due to a friend buying the wrong item. So I'm swapping out the 5600x I currently have for it. I'm looking for cooler recommendations. I have a Thermaltake Versa H22. Since I wasn't planning for a new build, a new case isn't an option. The case only supports a 120mm AIO which would have to be mounted at the back. As for air coolers, the max height is 155mm. Using PCPartPicker to help with compatibility, I found that the usual favorites from Noctua and beQuiet are too large. So far I have found the following air coolers: Scthye Fuma 2, Cryorig H7, and beQuiet Dark Rock TF 2. And that is in addition to the 120mm AIO's. What are people's thoughts? I've read/heard many say the 120 AIO's are no better than an air cooler unless space is restricted. I'm not an overclocker and only upgrading since it was so cheap.

The conventional wisdom is that the 5 pipe air cooler from noctua is fine. AIOs go by mm, so something 240mm (2fan) or 360 (3 fan) would both be 120mm coolers.  Any big air cooler would also work fine I suspect.  The 5800x is hotter than the 5600x but not nearly as hot as one of the big intel K chips.  Partially because they’re not exactly famed for overclocking well. A 212evo or similar 4 pipe air coolers might be kinda light. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just to clarify, the only AIO that fits this case are the single fan 120's like the NZXT Kraken M22, Corsair H60 or other similar ones. Digging more into Noctua's site, I was able to find the C14s is also an option.

29 minutes ago, JeremyDS77 said:

Just to clarify, the only AIO that fits this case are the single fan 120's like the NZXT Kraken M22, Corsair H60 or other similar ones. Digging more into Noctua's site, I was able to find the C14s is also an option.

120mm single fan AIOs don’t have any more power than a decent sized air cooler.  A decent sized air cooler may not fit in your system though.  If that is the case a 120mm AIO is the only option.  The question becomes how much clearance you have.  Iirc the smallest big air coolers are over 150mm so it may not be possible to begin with. You’ll need to check the clearance for your case.  I tried and failed.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, JeremyDS77 said:

I couldn't find a direct comparison, but I have seen the Scythe Fuma 2 recommended by others around here, and it looks like a beast of a unit!

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

Just now, Tech87 said:

I couldn't find a direct comparison, but I have seen the Scythe Fuma 2 recommended by others around here, and it looks like a beast of a unit!

Fuma2 is on the smaller end of one of those “big air” coolers I was talking about.

The case clearance is 155mm per the manual. According to their site, the Fuma 2 comes in at 154.5mm while the Cryorig is 145mm.

If I went with one of the an AIO looks like there are a number of options. Any recommendations? RGB doesn't mater as my case doesn't have a window.

New case should always be an option if you dont have a decent one. Its pretty much useless to look at cooler reviews and pick the best one for 2-4C margin if your case makes your cpu run 10C hotter than a decent budget case would.