How to clear a "write-protected" CD?

snozking

Unless it's a rewritable disk (CD-RW), you can't. CDs are typically read only, with the exception of burnable disks. And with the exception of CD-RW, they are write-once only.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Unless it's a CDRW you can't do that. Imagine burning a CD as cutting down a tree. You can't glue it back together and cut it down again in a different pattern. Because of how CDs work, using a laser to burn patterns of data into a disk, you can't just "un-burn" it. 

14 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Unless it's a rewritable disk (CD-RW), you can't. CDs are typically read only, with the exception of burnable disks. And with the exception of CD-RW, they are write-once only.

my CD i want to clear is a used Norton antivirus disk i found and i want to clear it

Just now, snozking said:

my CD i want to clear is a used Norton antivirus disk i found and i want to clear it

Is this an official disk from Norton? You can't, for the the reasons listed above. That's not possible. 

1 minute ago, rickeo said:

Is this an official disk from Norton? You can't, for the the reasons listed above. That's not possible. 

sad, i guess i will need to destroy the cd another way 

CD-R are mostly write once and when they are finalized it's permanent. Data on it cannot be erased or new data be added  to it. That Norton AV disc you got it most likely stamped pressed, so there is no way to erased the data that's on it. Just to and buy a blank CD-RW, for whatever that is you want to do.

The Norton Antivirus Disc, it basically the setup file, there isn't any serial number or anything on it. Not sure why, there is a need to destroy it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

CD-R are mostly write once and when they are finalized it's permanent. Data on it cannot be erased or new data be added  to it. That Norton AV disc you got it most likely stamped pressed, so there is no way to erased the data that's on it. Just to and buy a blank CD-RW, for whatever that is you want to do.

The Norton Antivirus Disc, it basically the setup file, there isn't any serial number or anything on it. Not sure why, there is a need to destroy it.

destroy it because its fun and i dont like norton o-o

4 minutes ago, snozking said:

Unfortunately it is likely not possible. 

Many disks like that are distributed as CD-ROMs which have a maximum capacity of like 650MB and are read only.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-ROM

1 hour ago, RageTester said:

Talk about cheap tech, just buy new one. It's not worth the struggle even if it is rewritable.

rewritables are more expensive so yeah it's worth it!

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity