7950 for 4k + 1080p?

ktkrk8
Go to solution Solved by UnknownEngineer,

I'm not much of a gamer but if I want to play games I could change the resolution to something other than 4k right?

Yes you can, then you could go with just one 7950 (you will be playing in 1080P most likely). You might be able to play some games @  4k, maybe FTL jkjk. I don't really know what the 7950 can do @ 4k, but i know it's not much.

Will one 7950 be enough for 4k and a 1080p monitor or will I have to buy a second 7950?

For gaming, you'd want another 7950. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I don't quite think so, i do think that you should sell the 7950 and get a R9 290(x) if you wan't 4k gaming, but if you don't want 4k gaming the i guess it can do movies.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

I'm not much of a gamer but if I want to play games I could change the resolution to something other than 4k right?

Yes you can, then you could go with just one 7950 (you will be playing in 1080P most likely). You might be able to play some games @  4k, maybe FTL jkjk. I don't really know what the 7950 can do @ 4k, but i know it's not much.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Zero Antialiasing, Lowering Ultra spec to High-Medium, may be required for a single 7950 do get playable fps with 4k.

The 290 @ stock can do 4K Playable Ultra-High spec without AA at all, but the 7950 would need to lower settings as well to do so.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I'll just stick with one 7950 for now and get another if I need it

I would still recommend the R9 290 over dual 7950's mainly because of the Vram and the fact that the 290 is supposedly made for 4k. You could look at some benchmarks to see if 2 7950's have more of what you need, at 1080P i think the 290 might lose, or it would at-least get very close.

Spoiler

see if u r getting any good deal on 7950 may be u can sell it and save some bucks and get a 780 or r9 290x...that would be a balanced gpu for 4k... :)

I'd recommend what other people are saying. if you do need an upgrade make it a 290.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well the thing is I have a second 7950 that I don't use

I would like to not spend more money if I don't have to

Well the thing is I have a second 7950 that I don't use

I would like to not spend more money if I don't have to

Have you not put it in yet? and if so why?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I used to game a lot when I first got it but I don't now so I just took it out because one is good enough for now

I used to game a lot when I first got it but I don't now so I just took it out because one is good enough for now

Even then i think you could sell them both and get a 290, you can sell bot for ~290€ or 250 (worst case scenario) and get 500+€ from both together. A 290 can go for 400€ (I have seen one for 229£, so i strongly recommend the upgrade to a good single GPU, as opposed to dual).

Spoiler