New Intel chips join AMD's Ryzen in being unable* to play encrypted 4K Blu-ray discs (*without questionable workarounds)

JCHelios

I had to illegally stream the episode of the Simpsons with Micheal Jackson because it's scrubbed from online streaming sites. It's a thing, I watched it, but then I couldn't find it to show to my GF when we were watching through all the Simpsons episodes. Either you have it on DVD, you pirate it, or it just doesn't exist anymore.

13 hours ago, Commodus said:

That's not necessarily true. Apple TV+ and Disney+ are known to have higher quality than rival streaming services.

That may well be true but I bet it's not 30Mbps+. If a streaming service offered original media bitrate as a service tier I'd be paying for it, none do though.

9 hours ago, leadeater said:

That may well be true but I bet it's not 30Mbps+. If a streaming service offered original media bitrate as a service tier I'd be paying for it, none do though.

My question is: can you actually notice at those bitrates? I'm not so sure. I have a 55-inch 4K OLED set and I'm not noticing crushed details, blocky artifacts or other signs of lower quality. If there are signs, they're subtle.

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

My question is: can you actually notice at those bitrates? I'm not so sure. I have a 55-inch 4K OLED set and I'm not noticing crushed details, blocky artifacts or other signs of lower quality. If there are signs, they're subtle.

Depends on the movie, but when you pass the 15Mbps mark and depending on codec then actually noticing a difference if just simply watching is hard. However I find the first thing that gets cut is audio, that's consistently treated poorly even on high bitrate streaming services and when you have a setup where that becomes painfully obvious then well it is.

The downside to having a very expensive home cinema is you notice when things are worse, even if only a small amount. The same content from the same service compared to physical media using my PC setup for gaming I notice the difference a lot less or not at all (and even that is on the higher end of a home cinema setup).

Suffice to say lowering the bar because many or the majority are happy with slightly above mediocre is absolutely not wanted by those that can utilize the difference between physical media and a streaming service, currently. I personally do not go out to the cinemas to watch movies unless it's a significantly good one and then I'll travel 2 hours to a different city to one that is extremely good and is better than what I have a home. Otherwise local cinema is worse than what I have, Removing the ability to buy blu-ray means the local cinema would have better image and audio quality than I have at home without me changing a single thing about my setup, that would be extremely lame.

I see a lot of blocking and banding on dark scenes from streaming than I do from my local media with all my filters and post processing, but I think that might be my mediocre TV and possibly something with my PC more than the streaming service.

• 2 weeks later...

People using USB's to store their stuff instead of a device thay requires a special device to access it's content: So anyways XD