New Intel chips join AMD's Ryzen in being unable* to play encrypted 4K Blu-ray discs (*without questionable workarounds)

JCHelios
1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Do you want a dedicated UHD Bluray player? Going to guess not 😉

Edit:

Also I really did like how back in the day of PS3 tons were brought just to watch BD and were never used for play games or anything else simply because it was the only readily available BD player and also didn't cost too much compared to other options. I have the PS3 media remote as well which made the whole experience vastly better.

To me it seems like the perfect way for the PC elitists' to piss off everyone else, buy the consoles and refuse to use them lol. You're not scalping so it's all good.

You just made me realise that I can actually play some 4K BD that CEX gave me instead of the standard BD. Might get some use out of this:
20220115_214129.thumb.jpg.3b3c2c6c3ec684dedd4f0dd54682326a.jpg

My OG Xbox (first console) had the media remote, my second console has one too. Don't need the spotify or TV buttons though.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

It is almost as if DRM is anticonsumer. Seriously fuck blurays. Sony was a dick about BDs back then, and are still a dick now. 

Ahoy

(i do not condone piracy)

But disc is only way to get quality. Streams are still garbage and the idiots in charge limit that 4k stream that produces 1080p blu-ray quality to 4K tv:s only. Its almost like they are in the pocket of tv manufacturers pushing new tv:s for no reason. "New 8k tv, enjoy that 1080i cable tv stream" 😄

23 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

But disc is only way to get quality. Streams are still garbage and the idiots in charge limit that 4k stream that produces 1080p blu-ray quality to 4K tv:s only. Its almost like they are in the pocket of tv manufacturers pushing new tv:s for no reason. "New 8k tv, enjoy that 1080i cable tv stream" 😄

Only way to LEGALLY get quality. I'm fairly sure bearded chaps on open seas can get you proper 4K BD quality for free.

I still buy physical media (quite a bit actually), however I won't buy Blurays, I've always bought DVDs only. DVDs aren't a headache to play in any device, aren't a headache to rip if I want to easily play a movie on a different device like a tablet when I travel.

Just one more reason why DRM should be illegal, guess piracy getting more and more tempting....

11 hours ago, poochyena said:

But that is because of this DRM stuff. I would be playing 4k blu-rays if not for the complexity of it.

I agree. No one in their right mind would put an expensive, noisy, bulky, buggy PC in their media center just to play discs.

That's why blu-ray players exist.

And lets get real. The only people who complain about DRM are pirates.

25 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

I agree. No one in their right mind would put an expensive, noisy, bulky, buggy PC in their media center just to play discs.

Wow, way to generalize people that don't want to screw around with discs just to watch their content. I've a lot of sitcom and anime series, and it's far, far easier and faster to pick and choose an episode from my flash drive (plugged into the tv) than to pull out the discs to find the episode I want to watch. I complain about DRM because it gets in the way of my enjoyment. Not because I've any particular desire to pirate the stuff.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Wow, way to generalize people that don't want to screw around with discs just to watch their content. I've a lot of sitcom and anime series, and it's far, far easier and faster to pick and choose an episode from my flash drive (plugged into the tv) than to pull out the discs to find the episode I want to watch. I complain about DRM because it gets in the way of my enjoyment. Not because I've any particular desire to pirate the stuff.

Then don't buy discs.

1 hour ago, dilpickle said:

No one in their right mind would put an expensive, noisy, bulky, buggy PC in their media center just to play discs.

Did someone suggest they would?

right

I'm complaining about it and I don't pirate software or movies. I just want to be able to watch 4k movies on my PC, either through streaming or blu-rays. As of right now, there is no legal way for me to watch 4k hollywood movies on my PC. I can watch LTT videos in 4k no problem, so why should I not be able to watch the newest big budget movie too? Requiring people to buy additional hardware to watch a movie is a scam.

Way to show off you lack of knowledge. Pirates arent complaining because they have media that has the DRM stripped out, they just pick a title from their collection and thats it.

Meanwhile if you want to go the legal route you have to deal with pointless restrictions left and right (hw, sw, geoblock, etc). And even if your setup is compatible at the moment they can just change the requirements on a whim and you cant do a thing about/against it. (Having a BD player wont save your bacon.)

9 hours ago, leadeater said:

Do you want a dedicated UHD Bluray player? Going to guess not 😉

Over a PS, yes

At least ith the dedicated one I can chose one who's style would fit with the rest of the AV gear in the living room

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

31 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Did someone suggest they would?

right

I'm complaining about it and I don't pirate software or movies. I just want to be able to watch 4k movies on my PC, either through streaming or blu-rays. As of right now, there is no legal way for me to watch 4k hollywood movies on my PC. I can watch LTT videos in 4k no problem, so why should I not be able to watch the newest big budget movie too? Requiring people to buy additional hardware to watch a movie is a scam.

Why in the world do you want to watch 4K movies on your PC? Just as an academic exercise?

Just now, dilpickle said:

Why in the world do you want to watch 4K movies on your PC? Just as an academic exercise?

to... watch the movie. I don't understand the question. I have a 4k monitor

2 hours ago, dilpickle said:

Then don't buy discs.

Then you don't know much about the Anime industry. Many series are only on Crunchyroll, Funimation or Netflix for a limited time then intentionally removed. The Japanese studios and distributors specifically want people to buy physical copies, that's just the way they are. I've gone back to re-watch something and it's no longer available, this has happened multiple times.

I pay for all 3 mentioned and can't even watch anything I want. It's stupid but is what it is.

I have a TV and basically never use it. I watch all of my movies and shows on my desktop for the most part. I know alot of people who do the same so 🤷 

This doesn't affect me yet but it may in the future, GF may want to get some movies on UHD BD and want to watch them in full quality. I have a PC for doing media and that would be annoying if it can't play the discs.

17 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

doesn't this sound like saying "our immune system is always under attack, therefore we should remove it from our bodies"? Either it's not communicated correctly or they are out of their minds.

I get the impression this is a communication issue for you specifically. The issue is SGX is hard to make secure and has really only one major use which is highly niche. So intels yanking it out because keeping it aroudn is more trouble than it's worth.

To use a biological metaphor this is the equivalent of problematic wisdom teeth or an infected appendix, has little or no effect on the person if removed and getting rid of it at this point removes an issue.

8 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

I don't even own a Tv anymore. No need.

I've owned 4 TVs, and they were all ones I got for free. I kept two of them since, why not I guess, but I barely ever use them.

31 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Then you don't know much about the Anime industry. Many series are only on Crunchyroll, Funimation or Netflix for a limited time then intentionally removed. The Japanese studios and distributors specifically want people to buy physical copies, that's just the way they are. I've gone back to re-watch something and it's no longer available, this has happened multiple times.

I pay for all 3 mentioned and can't even watch anything I want. It's stupid but is what it is.

Mildly off topic, but they are the same way with music too. Impossible to find some japanese music online to buy. Can't even find it in good quality illegally either. The only CD I have bought in the past 5 years was an anime OST.

On 1/14/2022 at 7:09 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Playstation hasn't been the best Bluray player in about a decade.  Dedicated players vastly surpassed it in loading speed and picture quality due to being hardware based rather than software.

I've confirmed this myself comparing side by side against my Panasonic UHD Bluray player and all games consoles produce a really soft image in comparison.  Plus hardware players produce a much more event frame-rate, software players have a nasty habit of having frame-pacing issues.  You might not notice, but I'm one of those rare people who LIKES frame interpolation and that breaks if the frame pacing is uneven.

Add to this things like HDR, atmos support, etc.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

Its also covered here:

Of course, this could have changed with newer firmwares.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7