Router speed

Hi,

is it worth to have router , which can transfer more than 2000mbps . ? Is there any benefits in real world (not on paper) to have router which can transfer 3000 or more megabits per second?

I am looking for new router and there are a lot of them with different speed and etc. And the ones with faster speed cost more, but not sure if there is a point to have router which cost more than 100 euros.

Router advertising is a bit of a joke. They advertise theoretical capacity as though a single device can actually make use of that.  Reality is that ~500mbps is all you're getting even standing right next to the router.  Move to the next room over and it's 100Mbps.   Buy whatever router has the best reliability reputation and not whichever one advertises the most theoretical throughput or gamer shit.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

37 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Router advertising is a bit of a joke. They advertise theoretical capacity as though a single device can actually make use of that.  Reality is that ~500mbps is all you're getting even standing right next to the router.  Move to the next room over and it's 100Mbps.   Buy whatever router has the best reliability reputation and not whichever one advertises the most theoretical throughput or gamer shit.

That's true to a certain extent, but more than 500Mbps is definitely possible. 500Mbps is about the limit with WiFi 5, but you can do better with WiFi 6. I can pull my full 1Gbps downlink over WiFi with my router.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 hour ago, spetauskas said:

Hi,

is it worth to have router , which can transfer more than 2000mbps . ? Is there any benefits in real world (not on paper) to have router which can transfer 3000 or more megabits per second?

I am looking for new router and there are a lot of them with different speed and etc. And the ones with faster speed cost more, but not sure if there is a point to have router which cost more than 100 euros.

thanks 🙂

Most of the time the speed thats is advertised is the speed of each radio added together. For example 2.4 Ghz might be a max of 600 Mbps and 5 Ghz has a max of 1000 Mbps for a total advertised speed of 1600 Mbps or 1.6Gbps. Some routers have multiple radios on each band and therefore will list a higher speed. Your client is generally only going to connect to 1 radio at a time. 

The big things to look out for it what generation WiFi it is. WIFi 4, WiFi 5, WiFi 6, or WiFI 6E. WiFi 6 and 6E are the newest standards on the block and are technically faster than the older generation. Another thing to consider is the throughput of the device, basically how fast of an internet connection the router can support. Having Gigabit ports doesn't mean it can do Gigabit internet. The other thing is just the features the router has. Asus for example allows thru AI mesh for you to build a custom Mesh network for better WiFi coverage using pretty much any other their routers at this point. My Synology RT2600AC allows me to guarantee or limit bandwidth per device as I see fit. 

At the end of the day if your running a slower connection then most routers probably can handle that. Id personally get WiFi 6 at this point, but WiFi 5 is fast enough at least for my needs at this point. TP Link has some of the cheaper options. ASUS is considered to be pretty good. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

For me at least referring to wifi speed of a router is like referring to HD storage of a switch. 

I have a Fortigate Firewall that will do 10Gb, but it doesn't do wifi.

ok, thanks for advice. right now I have picked two routers asus rt-ax56u and tp-link archer ax73 (or ax55). I want go with asus , because it has better hardware and better software, but wifi 6  speed on this router is 1201 mbps.  if compare to tp-link it is 5 times slower (5378 mbps). so I am stuck with decision 😄

2 hours ago, spetauskas said:

f compare to tp-link it is 5 times slower (5378 mbps).

Agin refer to my post, thats not how the speed rating works. 

1511944123_ScreenShot2022-01-14at7_23_56AM.png.80d772ece545451f90d4e80c90ca39fd.png

This the the specs on my router. Its rated for 2600Mbps. HOWEVER thats BOTH radios added together. On 5Ghz ill never get more than 1.73 Gbps and even then probably will NEVER see that in the real world. Also keep in mind that your clients have to support the speed rating as well. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 hours ago, spetauskas said:

ok, thanks for advice. right now I have picked two routers asus rt-ax56u and tp-link archer ax73 (or ax55). I want go with asus , because it has better hardware and better software, but wifi 6  speed on this router is 1201 mbps.  if compare to tp-link it is 5 times slower (5378 mbps). so I am stuck with decision 😄

Here’s a video explaining what everyone else has been trying to say. Hopefully, it gets the point across.

On 1/14/2022 at 8:40 PM, Falcon1986 said:

Here’s a video explaining what everyone else has been trying to say. Hopefully, it gets the point across.

this dude explain a lot 😄 thanks. I guess i stick with asus router 🙂