My PC keeps turning off...

The Desk PC 2.0 has a problem, and Linus is about to go for vacation. Is Anthony a bad enough dude to diagnose and repair his workstation before he comes back?

Buy AMD Threadripper 3970X CPU
On Amazon: https://geni.us/Tb18Mc
On Newegg: https://geni.us/yB3h
On B&H: https://geni.us/dxaiVMR

Buy LG CX 48-inch 4K OLED TV
On Amazon: https://geni.us/TOEzA
On Best Buy: https://geni.us/u7mVGR
On Newegg: https://geni.us/uvVjyDS

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

Just needs a good kick.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

@GabenJr noticed when you disabled C-states, it didn't show you when you saved that you made changes. Did you have to go re-disable it after?

image.thumb.png.77c18253f799e6d1550efc4ece6a4b0d.png

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Video on how to find bad capacitors or coil wines next please.

Please Anthony, 3 out of my 4 alt boards are with such problems 😞

Can't wait to watch this when I get home.  I updated the bios on a PC last night and I've noticed it's been restarting randomly.  Hopefully a similar fix. 🤞

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

You can limit the scope of how far C-States are allowed to go (to which C state level).

Good troubleshooting in general. However I would have done a few things first personally: 

1. Reset the bios for good measure, although in most cases flashing the bios does reset a bunch of settings.
  2. Check for newer chipset drivers, certainly if it appears that powermanagement is involved these might actually contain fixes already. 

Other than that it is a solid video going that goes through the basics of troubleshooting which is the most important part 🙂

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.

image.png.efc04e5553e8fc7cf59755895f0d0289.png

my life as a IT support in a nutshell

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Just wanted to say, that this is a true Tech Tip! Maybe I haven't been paying much attention, but I feel like a lot of the videos aren't really tech tips (not that the channel is supposed to be limited to those).

Pretty cool though. Thanks!

Does anyone know what chair Anthony uses? It looks like a gaming style chair, and I bet it's damn comfortable - I'd like to pick one up for myself.

So, Linus updated the BIOS and mentions that the system has been restarting since then, and he does not try to downgrade it to the previous, perfectly working version? 

I am all for these tech tips of diagnosing the issues and trying to fix them, but disabling C states is a sort of weird solution since you are basically disabling a feature that was working previously without any problems.

I would've tried to downgrade the BIOS first and if that did not work, then go through these steps. Just a quicker solution. Most of the motherboard manufacturers must also have some sort of a BIOS downgrade (flashback?) feature as well right? Why not use it then?

15 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

broken2001nichicon2200uf6.3v.jpg

They are pretty easy to spot.

Mine are not sadly. The board takes 19V laptop charger and makes 12,5 and 3.3 and now its power cycling whenever I try to boot it.

So I've updated the BIOS on 4 machines recently; two Intel two AMD, all ASUS motherboards.  I've noticed that the two AMD builds have been having restart issues and the two intel builds have been fine.  Looking at the C-states on each board the AMD boards default to enabled and the Intel boards default to auto.

Once I disable it on the AMD boards I don't have the random restarts anymore.  Strange distinction between the two.  Why not leave it auto for both.  Could this be some 'trickery' on AMD's part to claim their CPUs use less power than intel? 🤔

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

6 hours ago, NemesisPrime_691 said:

So, Linus updated the BIOS and mentions that the system has been restarting since then, and he does not try to downgrade it to the previous, perfectly working version? 

I am all for these tech tips of diagnosing the issues and trying to fix them, but disabling C states is a sort of weird solution since you are basically disabling a feature that was working previously without any problems.

I would've tried to downgrade the BIOS first and if that did not work, then go through these steps. Just a quicker solution. Most of the motherboard manufacturers must also have some sort of a BIOS downgrade (flashback?) feature as well right? Why not use it then?

Mentioned he needed to for windows 11,  There are some security things that early bios versions lack in a lot of cases. so he would have to downgrade windows as well if he wanted to do that. 

On 1/13/2022 at 11:30 PM, GabenJr said:

The Desk PC 2.0 has a problem, and Linus is about to go for vacation. Is Anthony a bad enough dude to diagnose and repair his workstation before he comes back?

Buy AMD Threadripper 3970X CPU
On Amazon: https://geni.us/Tb18Mc
On Newegg: https://geni.us/yB3h
On B&H: https://geni.us/dxaiVMR

Buy LG CX 48-inch 4K OLED TV
On Amazon: https://geni.us/TOEzA
On Best Buy: https://geni.us/u7mVGR
On Newegg: https://geni.us/uvVjyDS

You can use AMIBCP v5.0.1 app to dump your bios file and afuwin to edit your bios and rebuild (mod) it and update that bios to check if enabling/disabling any hidden settings will help you (also changing access to supervisor will make it visible in the bios menu directly)

1668133728_Screenshot(5170).thumb.png.62febfd09063a6c6742ae24a4411fb96.png

I ran into almost exactly the same issue with my Threadripper 3970X workstation when I switched from a PCIe 3.0 to PCIe 4.0 graphics card - random reboots when mostly idle with no real information in the event log. Turning off global C states in the BIOS prevented the issue from occurring, similar to what Anothony saw. The other setting that prevented the issue from occurring was forcing PCIe 3.0 in the BIOS. Turning off global C states is not ideal since it can impact the maximum single core Turbo and may slightly impact power consumption.

After a few frustrating days a trying to figure out what was going on, I finally tracked down the root cause of the issue: a memory overclock that was just on the edge of stability. Disabling XMP/DOCP and any manual memory timing adjustments prevented the issue from occurring. I was then able to refine this to just slightly increasing Trc for the memory to fix the issue. I hypothesize that incorrect values were being read from memory when coming out of the package C6 state (which saves core state to memory), resulting in badness.

It is plausible that a BIOS update could change some of the memory timings not included in the XMP profile resulting in the issue.

On 1/14/2022 at 11:47 PM, derr12 said:

Mentioned he needed to for windows 11,  There are some security things that early bios versions lack in a lot of cases. so he would have to downgrade windows as well if he wanted to do that. 

Hmm, maybe I missed that in the video. Makes sense then.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2022 at 6:19 AM, NemesisPrime_691 said:

Only to find out that some board doesn't allow flashing a BIOS version that's lower than the one currently installed ( in the exception of MSI boards )

----------------------

In my case after watching this video, ever since I built my PC about a year and a half ago, I was having some troubling issues with my system that caused a black screen of death with nothing on and simply hard reset itself. In the Event Viewer, Windows classified it as a WHEA-Logger type of system crash related to the CPU itself. I have an image on Twitter for it.

In the image this is the WHEA-Logger caused by the CPU

It says :

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core

Error Source: Machine Check Exception

Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error

Processor APIC ID: 1

By disabling C-State and putting the PSU current usage to Typical it might of fixed it but I need to test it further to make sure it stays like that. And I game pretty much all day long so I can test this with some heavy games that play and work well with this test. I'll report back after 72 hours give or take.

FF6WD1qXEAI8uJQ.jpg

Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus originally, changed with the ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Plus, CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X Stock, planning to get a Ryzen 5 5600G RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16gb 3600mhz CL19, GPU: Asus Radeon RX 5700 XT Strix 8GB GDDR6, planning to get a Zotac RTX 3060, CaseCorsair SPEC-DELTA RGB Mid Tower Case, Storage: 1 240gb WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD, 1 2tb WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD, 2 1tb Mechanical Drive (one of them is a WD Black) and Seagate 6 TB External Hard Drive, PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply, Display(s): LG 24BK400H-B 24.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor, Cooling: AMD Wraith Prism RGB, Keyboard: Redragon Karura K502 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard, Mouse: Corsair SCIMITAR PRO RGB Wired Optical Mouse, Sound: CORSAIR VOID RGB ELITE USB, Operating System: Windows 11 Pro, PCPartPicker URLhttps://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/4pNGYH

• 8 months later...

i did everything in the video but its still shuts off randomly\.  but i do hear like a click sound everytime it shuts off

Recently i got my PC turning off while gaming, i checked everything from temps to power limits & even added a lot more voltage to my 5Ghz overclock, finally it wasn't any of these, guess what? it was a defective PCI-E extension cable...