Exy-no-show - Samsung no-showed on its major Exynos 2200 launch

Lightwreather
9 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

The difference in modems has to do with the different data bands in different regions, no? Everyone does that I think.

Not quite. There are some differences because of different bands, but in the case of mmWave in the iPhone it's just Apple cheaping out and giving more features to their US customers. They could implement mmWave worldwide, but they choose not to. Countries with other mmWave 5G bands like South Korea, Japan and China, do not even get a mmWave model tuned for their networks. They just don't get any mmWave at all. Even though the modem itself supports tuning it for it. Apple just don't feel like including and tuning the extra antennas. 

Australia, Norway and Italy even have n258 5G deployed which is the same band as some operators in the US uses, and yet those countries do not get any mmWave support at all in their iPhones. So in the case of those countries you could import a US phone and get 5G mmWave connectivity in your country, but if you buy an iPhone from a store in said country you do not get mmWave. (I also don't recommend importing a US phone to for example Norway or Italy because you will probably run into issues on the 4G network, but the mmWave 5G would work fine).

12 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I think when it comes to battery life absolute values are more important than percentages. Battery capacity is not a constant, power draw is. The more efficient chip will have significantly better battery life a year or two down the line if the difference is already at 8% for two brand new devices.

This is probably the more impactful issue, battery DoD and discharge/charge cycles. DoD is the harder one to define but a higher average power draw should on average translate to higher DoD on average, but DoD is highly user habits influenced. Discharge and Charge cycles is a little easier though, if the power usage is ~8% then that's basically the increase in the number of cycles meaning the battery will become degraded 8% faster and battery degradation isn't linear so the fall off point where the battery is effectively useless could happen 6+ months sooner.

All user experience could be essentially identical up until that point but the difference between a usable device for 3.5 years vs 4 years is in the realm of meaningful.

In any case, the whole "Samsung isn't the only ones doing it" is kind of a side track.

My point is that while I would prefer to have one model all over the world, the reality of it is that it's not a big deal. The differences have varied over the year but overall they have been pretty minor. Most people are not aware of the differences but even if they were it would not really have an impact on their usage. In the case where there might be a single digit percentage difference for let's say battery life it won't really change your usage pattern anyway. Even when the Exynos chips were behind it wasn't like they were bad either. They were just not "the best", which I think is a thing people seek out just for bragging rights anyway and as a result is kind of pointless. Besides, if you want the best you should probably get an iPhone anyway. The difference between an Apple chip and a Snapdragon chip is way bigger than the difference has ever been between an Exynos and a Snapdragon chip.

Hate it when they don't disclose about what you are actually buying, same with other tech and sometimes about screens.

Some just state an "intel i3" chip inside, but what gen??? or just using an "TFT panel"... what? to phones having the same name but is a different product? come on. Feels like such a scam, would hope regulation could fix all these terms and details of what you buy.

Why not scrap the phone and move this to notebook categories? This would make an excellent chip for a laptop. 

15 minutes ago, Rodinski said:

Why not scrap the phone and move this to notebook categories? This would make an excellent chip for a laptop. 

That could very well happen.

Tho I'm pretty certain that'll happen after a mobile phone release.

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

6 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

More often than not, the 2 variants have a relatively big difference in performance and battery life which makes shopping for a high end samsung phone too complicated.

How is it complicated?

If you're from the US you'll get SD, if you're not from the US you'll get Exy. Doesn't seem hard to me.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

It just makes no sense to me that two people can spend the same amount of money

They don't spend the same amount of money to begin with, US gets it way cheaper than the rest of the world

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

How is it complicated?

If you're from the US you'll get SD, if you're not from the US you'll get Exy. Doesn't seem hard to me.

Maybe complicated wasn't the right word. How about cumbersome? Basically half the information/reviews you find about the phone you want to buy is for a version that is not available in your region. If the difference between the 2 is small like it is with the S21 then it's no big deal, but this has typically not been the case with one version being clearly better than the other.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

35 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Basically half the information/reviews you find about the phone you want to buy is for a version that is not available in your region

assuming the entirety of the world is fluent in English and follows, searches reviews from tech tubers who operate in the US.

Reality is majority of consumers from one country will search reviews, if the even do check reviews and not just go "i want the latest one" at the store clerk, will see/read in their native language.

Again, nothing hard, complicated or cumbersome. US gets their special variant and the rest of the world moves on with their variant

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

assuming the entirety of the world is fluent in English and follows, searches reviews from tech tubers who operate in the US.

english is a bit of an international language. both the US, EU and others (some asia and more) operate on english/US based platforms, while at times got their own language based sections but might not be as big compared to the english sector and content. So the biggest spheres are english speaking.

2 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

english is a bit of an international language

and majority hardly speak it and those who do won't bother with english content when they can get it in their native tongue

4 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

both the US, EU and others (some asia and more) operate on english/US based platforms, while at times got their own language based sections but might not be as big compared to the english sector and content.

open an incognito browser page, pick a random VPN and change your country location, now go to youtube explore section. Wake me up when you'll find more than 10 videos that are in english

14 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

english is a bit of an international language. both the US, EU and others (some asia and more) operate on english/US based platforms, while at times got their own language based sections but might not be as big compared to the english sector and content. So the biggest spheres are english speaking.

The biggest? sure. The most commonly accessed by <insert average user>? Nah, those probably don't even know the names of those big outlets.

13 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

and majority hardly speak it and those who do won't bother with english content when they can get it in their native tongue

open an incognito browser page, pick a random VPN and change your country location, now go to youtube explore section. Wake me up when you'll find more than 10 videos that are in english

This. This SO FREAKING MUCH.

I've never, EVER seen a single video in Spanish in youtube, with my account. I even sometimes access youtube under a VPN in the US, and again, with my account logged in.

And yet it keeps trying to push content in Spanish to me.

Majority of people in EU countries prefer to look at, and are very often fed, content in their own language by Google. And whether we like it or not (and I very much don't) that does dictate, to a large degree, what kind of content will be consumed the most. All hail the almighty algorithm and all that...

Youtube is not an indication of anything when they just have it tuned to cater to local content and content that you previously watched the most. I don't change IP's and most of suggested content is in English because I don't watch anything local. Sometimes something randomly appears that's local, but very rarely. I just don't care about niche local "creators".

8 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Youtube is not an indication of anything when they just have it tuned to cater to local content and content that you previously watched the most. I don't change IP's and most of suggested content is in English because I don't watch anything local. Sometimes something randomly appears that's local, but very rarely. I just don't care about niche local "creators".

that's you and the algorithm feeding you content based on what you see

but, again i'll keep repeating myself, the majority, those who even in 2022 have a hard time using a computer for basic tasks outside of browsing, those people will get fed by google and will watch content catered to them, and catered to them generally means content closer to home, local content, content that speaks the same local idiom they speak.

I'm in italy, i've been living here for the past 13 years, i never gave a rats ass about football (soccer for the uncultured) i never gave a damn gossip and reality tv type of content, my subs are mostly comprised of tech tubers, totalbiscuit and linux focused stuff, and the homepage of youtube will reflect that, great! what happens if i open the explore tab though...

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.97da05d02988280a6ba1c06905645755.png

it's all football, gossip, music i'd never listen even if dead, etc... and vast majority of it: all in italian. Why? cause im in italy, cause that's what the majority around here want, cause that's what the majority here will actively watch.

So again i'll keep repeating to the depths of the world: people don't care about a galaxy device having an SD or an EXY, most the won't even know what it means and will be happy about it cause at the end of the day they got the latest Samsung. And that's all the matters to them.

https://youtu.be/xeAxDgfat0M?t=57

Samsung really want to state your phone to have "console quality graphics on your phone", just pay more than a console for the phone 🙂

Also that was mentioned in the other thread, ray tracing too? dam.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1378294-samsung-confirms-its-next-gen-exynos-soc-with-amd-rdna2-gpu-will-support-ray-tracing/#comment-15026686