Some electronics / PCB expertise required on this second-hand GTX970.... Brown stain of some sort...

Hi everyone, is there someone who could share his knowledge with me on the below please?
I recently purchased a 970 on marketplace and the card works fine with no stability or high temp issues. As you can see for the most part the card appears to be in good condition.
One thing I missed (because there was a backplate on the card) is this brown stain residue on the back. I can't tell if it's corrosion, flux residue or something else. It does not look like anything I was able to find online...
I have tried cleaning with 99.9 Isopropyl Alcohol and cotton swabs / microfiber cloth but none of it has gone away. This thing is rock solid...
I tried a plastic scraper very gently on a small line to see if I can scratch the surface and nothing, it will not go away....
The front side of the GPU has no visible issues whatsoever.

Any suggestions??

IMG_9587.jpeg

IMG_9588.jpeg

IMG_9589.jpeg

IMG_9590.jpeg

IMG_9592.jpeg

IMG_9593.jpeg

IMG_9594.jpeg

IMG_9595.jpeg

IMG_9596.jpeg

IMG_9597.jpeg

IMG_9598.jpeg

IMG_9599.jpeg

IMG_9600.jpeg

IMG_9601.jpeg

that you kind sir is called poop

gaming system: R7 3700X @ 4.25Ghz cpu / B450 STEEL LEGEND mobo / 4x8gb corsair Vengeance @3333Mhz ram / RX 7900XTX pulse gpu / Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 cpu cooler /

Coolermaster Qube 500 case / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 12 1500w power supply

laptop: Dell xps 9510, 3.5k OLED, i7 11800h, rtx 3050 ti, 2x16gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, 1TB main drive, 2TB add in ssd

water damage probably.  you're lucky it still works...

you could try pcb cleaner with a brush... but long term id be more concerned about the missing/ damaged smds.

basically as long as it works... cleaning alone isnt going to fix potential future issues however. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Use isopropyl alcohol  or even better acetone (nail polish remover is mainly acetone if you can't get pure acetone)  and use cotton ball swabs and gently rub that area to remove the crap. 

be gentle because those surface mounted resistors/capacitors may have weaker soldering joints due to that corrosion and you don't want to rip the off the board.

Doesnt look like corrosion to me, more like milk tea stain or even toffee. Corrosion typically starts from soldering pads or the surface mounted components, not the black surface paint of the PCB. Yet in the pictures, it's brown even on the paint of the PCB.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 hour ago, Jurrunio said:

Doesnt look like corrosion to me, more like milk tea stain or even toffee. Corrosion typically starts from soldering pads or the surface mounted components, not the black surface paint of the PCB. Yet in the pictures, it's brown even on the paint of the PCB.

I know, that's what I'm thinking, it looks like a stain on top of the components, like a spillage of some sort.........

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

water damage probably.  you're lucky it still works...

you could try pcb cleaner with a brush... but long term id be more concerned about the missing/ damaged smds.

basically as long as it works... cleaning alone isnt going to fix potential future issues however. 

I don't disagree with you, what sort of PCB cleaner and brush type would you recommend?

1 hour ago, ki8aras said:

that you kind sir is called poop

😂

25 minutes ago, SerKon said:

I don't disagree with you, what sort of PCB cleaner and brush type would you recommend?

an  antistatic brush,  not specifically because its antistatic although thats another benefit obviously,  but because it should be made for exactly that purpose. 

and pcb cleaner... not sure what is available to you, i definitely prefer "kontakt" (German company) 

https://www.reichelt.com/de/en/contact-lr-400-ml-pcb-cleaner-kontakt-361-p26015.html?r=1

(comes with a small attachable brush, which is ideal)

You can also try acetone as @mariushmsuggested,  and tbh a soft toothbrush should also work.  im just not fond of the idea of using paper or cotton sticks etc as you have to be really careful not to rip those smds off.

its debatable if it wouldn't be better to do nothing... difficult decision imo.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Ok guys, some positive developments... I was able to clean most of it off using pure acetone and a soft brush (thank you very much for the advice!). It... took... me.... a lifetime of scrubbing..... honestly I must have been at it for 40 minutes straight non-stop.

And even now the area around the spot, although it looks clean, it's somewhat glossy and sticky. Shall I keep cleaning until this goes away as well?? Problem is, I think I am only stirring the residue on the board now, not actually removing it (as in wiping it off)

On a positive note, all the electronics look intact to me; I guess we won't know until I plug it in and actually test it.

IMG_9605.jpeg

IMG_9606.jpeg

IMG_9607.jpeg

IMG_9609.jpeg

IMG_9610.jpeg

nice. nah i would actually leave it now, that residue looks kinda normal, dont overdo it imo... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

nice. nah i would actually leave it now, that residue looks kinda normal, dont overdo it imo... 

nice one mate, you are a life saver