Anime Club - Heaven Society

JLCitadel

Has anyone watched bakuon? If so how was it?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

1 hour ago, killers993 said:

Has anyone watched bakuon? If so how was it?

I watched the first 3 episodes. It had some weird and kinda funny moments, but it wasn't gearing up to be anything all that good. I'm finding Sansha Sanyou funnier and more inventive, and it isn't even about motorcycles. I'd say watch episode one if you're curious, but I can't say watching the next two was worth it.

17 hours ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

Ah yes, the humor in K-On... I hope you like them repeating the same joke that Mio is a scaredy cat, because that's about 90% of it ;)

• Mio being a scaredy cat/absolutely bashful.
  • Azusa is young an innocent like a cat (Azu-nyan).
  • Tsumugi is rich as fuck but acts the opposite.
  • Ritsu is complete clutz and completely tomboy-ish.
  • Yui quite clearly  doesn't see in a straight line (punny), but is undying motivated once into something.

These tropes are all the show is.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

5 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

I'm trying to find newer anime to watch, but I've run into a problem.  I only wanna watch crap that's interesting or similar to stuff from what I watched growing up.  I feel too childish watching things like Fairy Tail or a lot of newer stuff.  I feel like I'm being too picky, though. xD Maybe I should just finish Flames of Recca or something like that, reminds me a bit of Yu Yu Hakusho.

Maybe Ushio and Tora?

71cdf15b80c4e026bbcac7c3aef1b7dd.jpg

Aww crap, not Fuko, shit i dont think i have it in me to go through this arc again. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

On 5/2/2016 at 3:34 PM, BashZeStampeedo said:

To me it was like watching kitten videos on YouTube, for the most part. I would certainly have appreciated a bit more than what we got, both in terms of variance and a sense of progression.

Speaking of which, that's why I consider it a "slice of nothing" series more than a "slice of life" one. Aside from a couple of episodes, I never got the feeling that anything was progressing. Contrast with Aria, where it felt like the girls were progressing in their quests to become ace gondoliers, and every time they reached a milestone it actually felt like they had earned it. Not sure if I'm the only person who cares about such distinctions in their moe anime, but there you go :)

Life doesn't necessarily have to progress though, so I think it fits the name still.

My problem with K-On is mostly the fanbase: "Its technically accurate" no, the chords whatever her name plays does not match the sound, and other silly claims like that.

Also, who the hell learns to play guitar that good in like a year besides fucking no one. I do wish there was more progress shown musically, but of course shitty music won't sell a show. I'm like on epsiode 6 of season 2. The first season seems to be better so far, it revolves around the music club and actually playing than the second.

-a salty guitar player

Old shit no one cares about but me.

26 minutes ago, Tr3vor said:

Life doesn't necessarily have to progress though, so I think it fits the name still.

Sure, but is it a slice of life really worth investing our time to watch? Maybe, but if it barely competes with kitten videos, then it's tough to say. I like to make a distinction between slice of life and slice of nothing for that reason.

11 hours ago, brownninja97 said:

Aww crap, not Fuko, shit i dont think i have it in me to go through this arc again. 

The only Clannad arc I actually liked.

Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

2 hours ago, Crowes said:

The only Clannad arc I actually liked.

Come on, you've got to have liked the Sunohara arc too. If only to hear him go "hiiiiii" all the time from how creepy Tomoya was. I got quite a few laugh out of it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Come on, you've got to have liked the Sunohara arc too. If only to hear him go "hiiiiii" all the time from how creepy Tomoya was. I got quite a few laugh out of it.

Tomoyo arc was my favorite and Tomoyo after It's a wonderful life is my favorite VN so far, even more heartbreakingly beautiful that any clannad route, that VN really hit me hard :'(

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

C-c-c-combo breaker! (sorry, haven't played Clannad, just watching the anime). But speaking of anime...

Dagashikashi. mediocre.
This is your typical anime comedy series where they have a very limited amount of material that they stretch out for far too long. These anime tend to just air their best content right away, and then flame out over time, but Dagashi chooses to air their best material here and there, with one or two decent episodes that are mildly funny, and the rest being bland slice of life that goes nowhere, with a couple of funny jokes occasionally interspersed therein. Worse, the comedy itself tends to rely too much on Family Guy style cut-aways to classic shounen anime scenes, or teenager friendly anime sex gags. In other words, it's relatively tedious for the bulk of its runtime; there aren't really any highs to compensate for the boring lows. On top of that, the central gimmick of being about Japanese junk food treats is far too often barely paid lip service or just a glorified ad, so it doesn't really stand out in that regard, either. Even the finale is incredibly weak. There's just not enough bang for the buck here. At best I can very mildly suggest it to big fans of Hotaru's character archetype, or people who love shipping characters no matter how lame the framing is.

Thoughts on eps 9-12:

Dagashikashi (9). so-so.
Oh thank goodness, half this episode was actually pretty decent. They managed to actually frame things well enough that the over-the-top shounen parodies weren't the only joke, and things flowed relatively well compared to the last few episodes. The skits weren't terribly funny to me, but compared to previous episodes at least it felt like they were trying, so I was appeased. The second half was pretty weak, though. They milked the Osaka-ben jokes far too long without much of a real payoff, and then they did a pretty lame sketch on boobs. It could have been worse, but it dragged out quite a bit longer than necessary just for the usual anime boob and "cumshot" jokes. At least the final punchline was ok as far as these sketches go, but the whole episode

Dagashikashi (10). mediocre.
Wherein Hotaru flails around overreacting for most the episode while I'm either bored or wondering why they don't piss off and leave her alone. Then there's a half-hearted revelation about why she's acting as she is. Then it ends. And I move on to more entertaining things for the night.

Dagashikashi (11). mediocre.
This episode was mostly boring, killing as much time as possible without actually doing  anything all that funny or even entertaining. It wasn't as bad as the previous episode because it had a couple of moments like the silly sketch about Admiral Perry, but they weren't all that good, so overall it was one of the weaker episodes of the series. They even dipped into blowjob, titty, and indirect kiss jokes to pad it out.

Dagashikashi (12). bad.
Most of this episode was basically pointless filler, trying to kill a much time as possible with more of those relaly lame anime sexual/romantic misunderstandings than usual, like ye olde "will the girls kiss" fake-outs and other classy stuff. Otherwise they seemed to be toying with the notion of having some sort of closing to the series, but ultimately they just finally did something to explain why they named Coconuts what they did, then lamely hand-waved away the whole point of the series by telling him he doesn't have to make a choice about running the store. It was a fantastic way to achieve less than nothing in the finale.

Wagamama High Spec (1-4). so-so.
Figured why not, it's a short episode anime. What's it like? Well, like another spin on the Teekyuu rapid-fire style gag show, except with much fewer gags-per-minute and "making up for it" by shamelessly pandering a bit more. So basically a sped-up moe show. It certainly isn't as bad as I expected, but it has a limited appeal just like Teekyuu, only tweaked for a slightly different audience. It's not really my kind of show, but it's short enough that I can bear it, much like Aiura.

Usakame (4). so-so.
Maybe this will be a bit better to watch in bulk, but so far it's nothing noteworthy as of four episodes. Taking this kind of premise even a little more seriously than Teekyuu requires much more material to be covered in a decent amount of time, so the episodes here are probably half the length they need to be, and the material is probably just a bit too glib for its own good, or not glib enough. Whether it amounts to anything will be easier to tell by watching it all at once after it's aired.

Tomo-chan's a Girl! manga (c318-322). so-so.
Oh good, basic underwear humor and a gay joke. Let the laughter commence. Hopefully this will be a setup for some better material.

Kaguya Wants to be Confessed to manga (c17). decent.
I really didn't expect this chapter to be as funny to me as it was. The material's quite simple and overly stupid, but it just fits the characters so well that it felt refreshing after one and a half episodes of Dagashikashi dragging out a canker sore joke.

My Hero Academia manga (c89). so-so.
Suddenly this feels very messy and disjoint. I can't really tell what's supposed to be going on at times, though I can figure it out by assuming what the author's going for. My disappointment continues though, because they're just confirming the exact type of plot I've been dreading. I normally wouldn't mind that, if there was something else to latch onto, but there really isn't. This is just about a bunch of simplistic (but colorful) characters figuring out what the plot is, after all - it all rides on the quality of that story. And so far... it's nothing special. There's a hero who passes his quirk to others, and a villain who steals others' quirks. The villain is just there to be a plot device to keep the heroes from winning, and he's conveniently obsessed with grooming an evil pupil, just to counter All Might's desire to groom his own pupil. Why? Who knows. All Might's motivations are strong, but the villains are both unknown and not particularly rife with potential. If they don't reveal a strong motivation for them sometime soon, my limited interest in the series may not recover.

Renai Kaidain Sayako-san manga (c29-30). decent.
It's interesting that they'd suddenly introduce a family member just to cut through the MC's obliviousness. I wonder if it's going to lead to something atypical? So far it's almost alarmingly straightforward stuff, though it's working out alright. Chapter 30 was surprisingly cute for the set of tropes on offer. I will say that they may be playing a bit too much with their "gaunt-faced" visual gag now, but it too remains fun for the time being.

13 hours ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

Sure, but is it a slice of life really worth investing our time to watch?

Maybe. I guess this show is closer to hanging out with friends, most of the time you aren't trying to achieve anything grand or whatever, just hanging out. I guess the hook is the characters instead of the progression. too bad the anime studios found the 3 or whatever most common types of characters that people will buy shit for, makes things kinda predictable. 

Old shit no one cares about but me.

9 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Okay, okay. I also liked Kotomi's arc. Though a lot of the arcs in Clannad did end up trying way too hard to emotionally move that it came off lacking imo.

9 hours ago, TetraSky said:

The Sunohara vs Tomoyo arc is my favorite, i was laughing my ass off for majority of it.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Perhaps not anime, but I'm finally getting around to finishing Katawa Shoujo and OH MY GOD THE FEELS

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

a_new_hero_is_born_by_ae_rie-d85zpr6.jpg

:3

ASRock Z97 PRO 4| i7-4790К@4600MHz/1.26V| Noctua NH-D14| 16GB ADATA@1800Mhz| Gigabyte GTX 660 WF OC| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB; Samsung 860 Pro 256GB; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB| Seasonic SS-650KM3 Gold| CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate| Mionix Naos 7000|

No idea if any of you have see this yet but it was a great watch and a great new channel to subscribe to https://goo.gl/RUFWle

Oh and a new season of the original Tenchi series was announced, so pumped! https://goo.gl/7DsKP7

14 hours ago, Energycore said:

Perhaps not anime, but I'm finally getting around to finishing Katawa Shoujo and OH MY GOD THE FEELS

Never played it, probably won't touch it. Heard lots of good things however.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

53 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I found more.  I'm twisted.

Yeah we get it. The dude chimera'd his daughter. This joke outlived it's minor utility years ago.

Current System: Corsair Graphite 760T White/ Asus X99-S / Intel Core i7 5820K / Corsair H100i GTX / EVGA Titan X SuperClocked / HyperX Fury 4x8GB 2666mhz DDR4/ Corsair AX1500i / Intel 750 PCIe SSD 400gb / Samsung Evo 840 500gb / WD Green 4TB x2 / WD Green 3TB /  OCZ Agility 3 120gb

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

I found more.  I'm twisted.

I remember seeing a really good one like 2 weeks ago but cant remember what it was sadly 

4 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Was it the face swap one?

i don't think so but really at this point I cant remember

Finally finished Teekyuu from last season and caught up with Nozaki's manga.

Teekyuu 7. decent.
This was actually a pretty solid season of Teekyuu. There weren't many significant highs or memorable jokes, but it was consistent enough to overcome that. There weren't too many times where I sat there thinking "they're phoning this in now", which is more than I can say for other comedies that I've recently watched. That said, Teekyuu is predictable in that it's predictably mostly about random gags, but whether that's good or bad is up to the viewer.

Brief thoughts on eps 6-12:

Teekyuu 7 (6). decent.
I just realized how stream-of-consciousness the random humor in Teekyuu really is. They made it feel effortless somehow. Not that this was particularly funny, but it was certainly more of an attempt than most of the other moe anime comedies I've seen lately. Not quite Sansha Sanyou, but then it doesn't have time to really set up or build up its jokes much.

Teekyuu 7 (7). so-so.
This ep felt kinda phoned in, without much punch (the last joke was even dismissed as expected).

Teekyuu 7 (8). good.
I actually really found the "off kilter comedy straight-man" bit here. It was surprisingly funny.

Teekyuu 7 (9). decent.

Another decent set of random bits that aren't easy to write about, so I won't bother trying.

Teekyuu 7 (10). decent.

Ah, this is the Usakame intro ep. And yeah, it's another decent random-funny one, but I still fail to see why they bothered with a crossover series in the first place if it's not as fun as this show. Maybe I'll change my mind once they finally get to the Banjo Beam in Usakame.

Teekyuu 7 (11). decent.
Wow, this episode was really crammed to the brim with gags. I don't think I even caught them all. I wonder if I missed one that would make me laugh? There were a couple that were chuckle-worthy but I was too busy trying to figure it all out to actually chuckle...

Teekyuu 7 (12). decent.
Just like the previous episode, this one was a bit more crammed than usual. The effect was the same, though I had a bit more of a chance to chuckle along this time.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun manga (c1-76). great.
This is possibly the funniest 4koma manga I've ever read. It's mostly silly character humor that often borders on mild cringe comedy, but manages to give its characters a self-aware tinge that actually makes them endearing, rather than insufferably oblivious or obsessed. It also has a lot of fun playing with the premise of trying to help Nozaki come up with material for his manga. It has remained consistently funny for 76 chapters, and hasn't begun feeling truly stale yet.