Anime Club - Heaven Society

JLCitadel

But hey, if you guys like it more, that's fine. I just find people stretch the truth a lot because ... they like Biribiri, and think that she magically makes up for the rest of the series. I don't.

I guess my reasoning is that my sensitivity for what a negative is, is much lower than yours is. 

Like, if you take the whole series, and value it based on positives and negatives (i.e. this character gives it +1, but the shitty story gives it -1) and do that to decide which is better between two anime series. 

I do that, but it takes something especially bad to give it a -1, so I focus more on positives than negatives. Touma was bad enough to warrant a -1. 

This is just an example of how I overall weigh a series. I don't actually itemize and go "+1, -1, etc." and use that. I just go off my feelings from my memories in watching it. If I don't remember something, it's a 0. If I remember something being particularly bad (i.e. Touma), it's a -1. If I remember something being good, it's a +1. 

I don't remember much so that makes it much easier. I just remember the series Index being not as memorably enjoyable as Railgun. I don't remember any villains from either except crazy chick with the tongue necklace thing, samurai chick, and laboratory chick. And of course accelerator.

I remember:

Index & Touma being annoying.

BiriBiri being adorable with all her quirks (mah frogs). This could be biased since Anita King also loved frog stuff.

Teleporter chick being annoying, but her power making up for it (Teleporting is just below Telekinetics which is my favorite power). 

Accelerator being awesome. 

I don't remember:

The music.

The story (beyond "magic vs science hur dur" & the sisters).

I vaguely remember:

The battles in Railgun being enjoyable while the battles in Index being mixed (probably so because they involved Touma).

This could also be because I watched Railgun on a whim and first before Index. I finished it before I started Index (this was before the newer series came out with more about the sisters and such).

I don't know. I consider them enjoyable series, just Railgun much more so than Index.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

your sense of humour is awful

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

Cpu:

Intel i5 4460 Motherboard:Msi Z97S Sli krait Ram:HyperX Fury White (2x4) Storage:Seagate 1tb/Samsung 850 Evo 120gb Gpu:Gtx 960 2gb sc Case:S340 Black Psu:Corsair Rm 650w 80+ Gold certified

My anime list : http://myanimelist.net/animelist/KRImSIN

still scared from that show we watched 0-0

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

Its a fan made picture of a K-Pop music, not K-On.

Are you sure?

K-ON%21.full.744469.jpg

Exact same design, and ending song of K-On is called "no thank you"

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Are you sure?

K-ON%21.full.744469.jpg

Exact same design, and ending song of K-On is called "no thank you"

Yes, i'm 100% sure. 

So many large pictures and videos.

My poor scroll wheel...

Rip

bigass text

I need SERIOUS stuff to consider it bad. Like i actually have a hard time giving bad ratings, in anime or whatever. I just look at the overall experience, and to me the good stuff has a much bigger impact than the bad stuff, and unless it's recurrent then i barely take the bad stuff into account.

Idk, i just don't know what a bad MC is, or like, "bad" stuff in animes. I know when i don't like something of an anime, but most stuff people dislike about anime i ethier do like it, or it doesn't affect me.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

So many large pictures and videos.

My poor scroll wheel...

Rest in pepperoni. 

I need SERIOUS stuff to consider it bad. Like i actually have a hard time giving bad ratings, in anime or whatever. I just look at the overall experience, and to me the good stuff has a much bigger impact than the bad stuff, and unless it's recurrent then i barely take the bad stuff into account.

Idk, i just don't know what a bad MC is, or like, "bad" stuff in animes. I know when i don't like something of an anime, but most stuff people dislike about anime i ethier do like it, or it doesn't affect me.

So what are some anime you consider bad?

they like Biribiri, and think that she magically makes up for the rest of the series. I don't.

sometimes it can

A decent character can pull a lot of dead weight

Error: 410

This is just an example of how I overall weigh a series.

Ah, I see. I'm actually very simple with my scores. I use two things:

- a "gut" score from 1-10, based on my retrospective feeling at the place where I stopped (overall personal entertainment value).

- a per-episode rating, which I use to adjust my "gut" score if it seems overly kind or unfair.

I also take some notes. In the case of Index and Railgun, my remaining notes are (spoiler tag is probably unnecessary, but just in case):

Index:

- plots and characterization are weak, but some neat ideas for the fights

- setting is under-utilized, central conflicts are under-explained

- protagonists are annoying and cliche, antagonists are more interesting, side characters have some moments

- production values are average, with some nice visuals where it counts

- fanservice isn't bad, but there's too much aggravating shounen-style preaching

- weaker in the second half than the first

- season two is just terrible... not gonna dignify it with further attention

Rating: s1: 7/10 s2: 4/10

Railgun (haven't finished season two yet):

- plots and characterization are weak, but MC at least has an arc and backstory

- MC is ok in season 2, side characters are shallow (and often aggravating), antagonists are lazy and cliche

- season one was mostly a wasteland of lazy writing, though the first boss fight recalled the better Index fights, and the first episode with Touma was fun

- season two was ok (so far) while it focused on MC, otherwise felt kinda desperate to entertain

- production values are average, though a couple of scenes had nice visuals

- multiple episodes devoted purely to insipid fanservice = screw you, anime

Rating: s1: 5/10 s2: 6/10 (haven't finished the second half yet)

- a "gut" score from 1-10, based on my retrospective feeling at the place where I stopped (overall personal entertainment value).

- a per-episode rating, which I use to adjust my "gut" score if it seems overly kind or unfair.

I also take some notes. In the case of Index and Railgun, my remaining notes are (spoiler tag is probably unnecessary, but just in case):

Gotcha. 

So, a thing. "central conflicts" aren't well explained? I'm not sure what you mean by that. Note that the following spoiler should only have spoilers for what you've seen. i.e. Seasons 1 & 2 of both Index & Railgun.

I don't believe I've ever touched the To Aru... wiki (until just now to verify something I was curious about) and I don't read the VN's, so everything I've got should be from the anime.

TL;DR: Magic VS Science.

The major conflict in the show is magic vs science. Magic being basically the religious society (Catholic church and stuff) and science being Academy City. 

Academy City was built to create something beyond human. i.e. godlike. Which is what they think a Level 6 would be like, thus Accelerator's experiments and such. You can probably see how a religious organization would take issue with that. That may have been explained in Season 2 of Index, so that's why you may not know that. I don't remember.

This is exacerbated by their loss of the Index (the character) who, as explained in the show, is a walking library of every secret grimoire and other occult knowledge the religious sect has available to them. Which is now in Academy City. Something that has the knowledge to do crazy things like summon Angels and such (it happened at some point in the show, where an Angel was summoned and possessed a girl or something).

If I'm wrong about something, feel free to correct me. But use spoilers if they are spoilers.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

So what are some anime you consider bad?

Black bullet is just BAD.

Then Working!! is a slice of life that shouldn't have any type of progression at all, but they for some reason implemented romantic relationships at one point, and never like... continued with them, and i think it's a bad thing to do in a slice of life, because it stops being a slice of life imo. I read here that on season 3 they started kinda closing up this relationships so my rating and perspective of it, is based on 2 seasons and not knowing if a 3rd season or more content even exists.

Working!! spoiler:

MC and the redhead even go on a date, and iirc at some point she realises she likes him, that's not pure slice of life stuff, that's romantic anime stuff, and they did that and they left it there

So ethier make actual progress or don't, that's the reason i disliked working up to the 2nd season not knowing anything about a 3rd one.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

So, a thing. "central conflicts" aren't well explained? I'm not sure what you mean by that.

To me a well-explained central conflict informs me of what's going on in the setting, and motivates the characters so that I understand why they're fighting (or why they're being used as pawns or whatever).

But in the ToAruVerse, the magic/science thing isn't well-explained, it's just kind of there to give the story things to do and more mini-bosses. I've read some of the light novels, so I kind of grasp what's going on, but it's just not compelling stuff to me. Yet it feels like that's what they're aiming for, since they have these puppet-master characters and the antagonists talk a big game about the city and so on. Same with the "5 levels" and why Biribiri's backstory is what it is, etc. It's all a big pool of "stuff" they want to reveal later, but that doesn't help me care about it NOW.

sometimes it can

A decent character can pull a lot of dead weight

Yep. I just didn't think she was enough in this case.

Index:

- plots and characterization are weak, but some neat ideas for the fights

- protagonists are annoying and cliche, antagonists are more interesting, side characters have some moments

- production values are average, with some nice visuals where it counts

- fanservice isn't bad, but there's too much aggravating shounen-style preaching

- weaker in the second half than the first

- season two is just terrible... not gonna dignify it with further attention

Rating: s1: 7/10 s2: 4/10

Railgun (haven't finished season two yet):

- plots and characterization are weak, but MC at least has an arc and backstory

- MC is ok in season 2, side characters are shallow (and often aggravating), antagonists are lazy and cliche

- season one was mostly a wasteland of lazy writing, though the first boss fight recalled the better Index fights, and the first episode with Touma was fun

- season two was ok (so far) while it focused on MC, otherwise felt kinda desperate to entertain

- production values are average, though a couple of scenes had nice visuals

- multiple episodes devoted purely to insipid fanservice = screw you, anime

Rating: s1: 5/10 s2: 6/10 (haven't finished the second half yet)

Hmmm

I think you look at the anime like homework or something. Taking notes and stuff even? I think if you just relax and watch it without thinking about stuff to say about it you'll give it higher ratings in general, i say this because the good exciting stuff is more impactful than the stuff that you say it's negative.

And i don't say this because i like the anime, i say it because when i read your notes it seems like you watch it to find good/bad stuff about it, not to enjoy it with it's good/bad stuff as a whole thing.

Hmmm

I think you look at the anime like homework or something. Taking notes and stuff even? I think if you just relax and watch it without thinking about stuff to say about it you'll give it higher ratings in general, i say this because the good exciting stuff is more impactful than the stuff that you say it's negative.

And i don't say this because i like the anime, i say it because when i read your notes it seems like you watch it to find good/bad stuff about it, not to enjoy it with it's good/bad stuff as a whole thing.

he is just looking at it more critically then most do. There is nothing wrong with that and no reason for him to change that to rate things higher. He probably ends up with a far better understanding of the anime then others because of what ge is doing.

Black bullet is just BAD.

Then Working!! is a slice of life that shouldn't have any type of progression at all, but they for some reason implemented romantic relationships at one point, and never like... continued with them, and i think it's a bad thing to do in a slice of life, because it stops being a slice of life imo. I read here that on season 3 they started kinda closing up this relationships so my rating and perspective of it, is based on 2 seasons and not knowing if a 3rd season or more content even exists.

Working!! spoiler:

MC and the redhead even go on a date, and iirc at some point she realises she likes him, that's not pure slice of life stuff, that's romantic anime stuff, and they did that and they left it there

So ethier make actual progress or don't, that's the reason i disliked working up to the 2nd season not knowing anything about a 3rd one.

Black bullet was dog shit and hilarious.

he is just looking at it more critically then most do. There is nothing wrong with that and no reason for him to change that to rate things higher. He probably ends up with a far better understanding of the anime then others because of what ge is doing.

Didn't mean to say it was bad or to change it, in fact since he understand it so well he maybe has a harder time finding an anime he trully finds excellent or even a masterpiece. Was trying to express why i kind of disagree.. or rather, why i do like railgun as i do compared to his vision of it... because i don't find as many details as he does when watching it. 

Black bullet was dog shit and hilarious.

Had it's fun moments, but was serious SHIT.

Didn't mean to say it was bad or to change it, in fact since he understand it so well he maybe has a harder time finding an anime he trully finds excellent or even a masterpiece. Was trying to express why i kind of disagree.. or rather, why i do like railgun as i do compared to his vision of it... because i don't find as many details as he does when watching it. 

Had it's fun moments, but was serious SHIT.

Yeah, idk. I haven't truly enjoyed an anime in a while. One piece has been doing pretty well though. But i'm a mainstream shonen fanboy so.....