3080 Ti not detected but does have output - new build

SiRcivic27
Go to solution Solved by SiRcivic27,

It was definitely W11 at fault. Put W10 on and drivers, although out of date, were installed with system updates which W11 100% didn’t do and Asus doesn’t have drivers available on their website yet for W11. Got all the drivers done, installed MSI afterburner and was able to apply a stable OC which only saw temps go up to 61 with a 15min video encode. Going to stick with W10 for awhile now but I have an EVGA FTW3 3080 ti coming on Friday ($580 cheaper than the Asus) so that will go in and the Asus will go back to Best Buy. 

oh, after a 3 business day delay Asus support got back to me and asked for screenshot of my network map from my router’s GUI to verify the WAN IP. No idea how that addresses a driver issue on a GPU. 

Hi, built a new computer over the last two days. I get display out from the GPU but device manager says Microsoft Basic Display adapter. I can’t get it detected to get drivers installed. I’ve tried PCI slot 1 and 2, cleared cmos, set PCI slots to both gen 3 and 4. I worked with 3 different Asus support techs and they are not able to help, had to send me to next level support which will take 24-48hrs. Any thoughts? Bios and windows are fully updated. Power cables are 6pin at the PSU and then also 6pin w/2pin jumper at GPU, no daisy chained cables. 

MB Asus Dark Hero X570

CPU 5900x

GPU Asus tuf 3080 ti

PSU Seasonic tx-850

OS win 11 pro

There's some problem cause this. Here's something you can do:

• Update Windows
  • Update driver, or downgrade driver
  • Check the inside of GPU, to see if there hardware problem
  • (The last, only try if you really love that GPU) downgrade Windows.

Try each one follow the list. The 2nd one have 60% chance fix it.

1 minute ago, HQuan said:

There's some problem cause this. Here's something you can do:

• Update Windows
  • Update driver, or downgrade driver
  • Check the inside of GPU, to see if there hardware problem
  • (The last, only try if you really love that GPU) downgrade Windows.

Try each one follow the list. The 2nd one have 60% chance fix it.

1. Done. Fully updated. 

2. Can’t install drivers without the gpu detected, Asus doesn’t have them available without getting them through Armoury Crate. 
3. I can do a visual inspection but that’s it. 
4. No thanks, not going to give Microsoft more money to install windows 10. 

Try to plug the GPU to another computer to see if other computer detect it.

I don’t have anything else suitable, only an ancient 11yr old build. 

10 minutes ago, SiRcivic27 said:

4. No thanks, not going to give Microsoft more money to install windows 10. 

wait when you bought the windows license was it windows 10 or 11?

2 minutes ago, SiRcivic27 said:

I don’t have anything else suitable, only an ancient 11yr old build. 

if the motherboard has pcie then it would work (spoiler: it does have pcie) what windows version does it have?

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

Just now, adarw said:

wait when you bought the windows license was it windows 10 or 11?

if the motherboard has pcie then it would work (spoiler: it does have pcie) what windows version does it have?

Win11 pro license. 
pcie 2.0 slot and only a 650 PSU. Has win10 which was a free upgrade from 7 pro. 

11yrs old build? And Asus tuf 3080 ti? IT NOT GONNA COMPATIBLE! 

It’s not trying to be used in that… that’s the only other pc I have. 

3 minutes ago, HQuan said:

11yrs old build? And Asus tuf 3080 ti? IT NOT GONNA COMPATIBLE! 

lol, it will be compatible. as pcie are all compatible to each other. 

why are you making stuff up?

1 minute ago, SiRcivic27 said:

Win11 pro license. 
pcie 2.0 slot and only a 650 PSU. Has win10 which was a free upgrade from 7 pro. 

so you have the win 11 on the newer pc? was that licence a free upgrade from the windows 10?

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

1 minute ago, adarw said:

so you have the win 11 on the newer pc? was that licence a free upgrade from the windows 10?

For the new build I bought a win11 license, not a win10 license so not an upgrade. 

probably obvious....but have you tried downlaoding latest driver first, then unplug internet, DDU in safe mode, then isntall new driver...THEN plug internet in afterwards?

I think I remember reading soemwhere that if you just uninstall the old driver first, then windows might force it's basic driver....might be what's happened here?

2 hours ago, Glenn-Tidbury said:

probably obvious....but have you tried downlaoding latest driver first, then unplug internet, DDU in safe mode, then isntall new driver...THEN plug internet in afterwards?

I think I remember reading soemwhere that if you just uninstall the old driver first, then windows might force it's basic driver....might be what's happened here?

As far as I can tell it hasn't installed any driver and when you go to the Asus drivers page it doesn't list a driver for WIN11. Will the WIN10 driver work?

I've installed the WIN10 drivers which seem to have resolved the issue. Installing the latest GRD now. It would appear Asus is not yet in support of WIN11 yet.

8 minutes ago, SiRcivic27 said:

As far as I can tell it hasn't installed any driver and when you go to the Asus drivers page it doesn't list a driver for WIN11. Will the WIN10 driver work?

You are talking about the GPU driver right?

If so go to: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/184717/en-us

and download these

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

maybe I'm not out of the woods yet, I ran PC benchmark and it says GPU not detected but I'm now seeing the GPU in device manager and task manager. I do have the WIN10 driver package installed which seems to just be an Nvidia driver package

18 minutes ago, SiRcivic27 said:

maybe I'm not out of the woods yet, I ran PC benchmark and it says GPU not detected but I'm now seeing the GPU in device manager and task manager. I do have the WIN10 driver package installed which seems to just be an Nvidia driver package

Update: tried to do an Asus AI overclock and had to reset CMOS which also caused a WIN restore which went back to pre drivers install. I'm now giving the GRD for WIN11 a try as mentioned above.

with the WIN11 Nvidia driver upon restart some ASUS gpu utility opened up so now the computer knows its a TUF 3080 Ti. I'm not convinced that I'm out of the water though, I've got an EVGA FTW3 3080 Ti enroute that will be here in a week, maybe that will be the answer to my problems. Is this what I get for thinking I should just build with WIN11 rather than start with 10 and upgrade down the road?

should I do a fresh install but of WIN10? Maybe my license for 11 will work?

You can do a fresh W10 install without a licence and that'll tell you if it'll work.

Your mistake was possibly going to what is effectively a beta OS, like every Microsoft OS in its first year. W11, like every other MS OS, will be hot garbage for its first year to year and a half. No way I'm upgrading to that for a loooong while.

It was definitely W11 at fault. Put W10 on and drivers, although out of date, were installed with system updates which W11 100% didn’t do and Asus doesn’t have drivers available on their website yet for W11. Got all the drivers done, installed MSI afterburner and was able to apply a stable OC which only saw temps go up to 61 with a 15min video encode. Going to stick with W10 for awhile now but I have an EVGA FTW3 3080 ti coming on Friday ($580 cheaper than the Asus) so that will go in and the Asus will go back to Best Buy. 

oh, after a 3 business day delay Asus support got back to me and asked for screenshot of my network map from my router’s GUI to verify the WAN IP. No idea how that addresses a driver issue on a GPU. 

My rule of thumb with new Microsoft operating systems = at least 18 months before trying them. 

And always on a separate SSD, keeping my original earlier Windows version build intact. 

On 12/23/2021 at 10:05 PM, adarw said:

lol, it will be compatible. as pcie are all compatible to each other. 

why are you making stuff up?

Yeah, not how that works. At some point NVIDIA made their GPUs require motherboards with uEFI , and some motherboards of that era did not have uEFI.