UK law enforcement donates 225 million stolen passwords to haveibeenpwned.com

Acerazus

Summary

UK law enforcement has donated a tranche of 225 million unique passwords to a cyber-security project helping to protect users from hacking.

The National Crime Agency (NCA) recovered the database from cyber-criminals who had collected real users' email addresses and passwords.

That list has been added to free online service Have I Been Pwned (HIBP).

Quotes

Troy Hunt, the security researcher who runs the site, announced on Friday that it now has a "pipeline" function for law enforcement to add passwords they have recovered to the service.

"The premise is simple," he wrote in a blog post.

"During the course of their investigations, they come across a lot of compromised passwords, and if they were able to continuously feed those into HIBP, all the other services out there using Pwned passwords would be able to better protect their customers from account takeover attacks."

My thoughts

It's good to see this happening. I don't really have much to say myself but I'm sure someone is going to have fun looking up to see if their passwords have been pwned with this update.

Sources

UK donates 225 million stolen passwords to hack-checking site - BBC News

Just double checked, and my root password for a lot of the passwords I made back in the days where I was young and foolish and then was too lazy to change later on, is safe.

Yea bottom line: Use a good password manager.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

image.png.a1a0f8eb755fa537ce3be8c243a7dfa8.png

oopse... what do i do? i have a something to tell yall, i only have 2 passwords the one used here was well used a lot..... 

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

Hey - I have the same password for my luggage!
112374189_Presskroob.png.3321b80c3a85f709a25d2831a640fbcd.png

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 hour ago, adarw said:

image.png.a1a0f8eb755fa537ce3be8c243a7dfa8.png

oopse... what do i do? i have a something to tell yall, i only have 2 passwords the one used here was well used a lot..... 

Change it. Oddly shoved in my main email and most used pasword before i got a password manager, 3 hits for my e-mail, none for the password. Cool.

Nice that they're making it easy with this "pipeline," which can help people become better aware of potential issues in the future.

My main sign-up account from high school (2000), that I still currently use, shows 22 breaches, no pastes. Roughly half are from collections/spam lists. The rest are from services I rarely used, or just old stuff like Myspace, HLTV.org, Trillian, etc...

• 3 weeks later...