Any thoughts, advice for my build in progress? :)

Hey guys, very new to the forum! Saw this page and thought I'd give you a tour of my soon-to-come build!

It's an attempt to build a rather low end cost build, with quality components (love Corsair in particular) and low power usage. 

Case: Corsair Carbide 300R (thinking of buying the rubber grommets for better looking interior)

PSU: Corsair HX650 80 plus gold semi-modular

CPU: AMD FX-4100 3,6 GHz (Purchasing the Corsair Hydro H80i closed water cooling solution, instead of the stock cooling)

RAM: 2x4GB Dual Channel Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 MHz 1,5V

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (Might throw a 120GB SSD at it at some point too)

GPU: MSI 7950 3GB Twin Frozr V3 (Not the cheapest 7950, but by far the best looking/best cooling I've been able to find)

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (Not very familiar with mobs, but this seem to be able to handle my parts in a good way)

I'm probably not going to over-clock my system, which is why the water cooling solution might be a slight overkill, but I'd like the coolest solution I can get, without running into compatibility problems with my rather small ATX case. Got any suggestions on how to improve on the build, should I be changing some parts or does it look fine and dandy? I've built my rigs a couple of times before, but I'd like to be sure before just venturing out there and buying a ton of hardware :D 

Woolbeach

Looks pretty good by me im not to familiar with amd parts but they all seem to check out ok

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Looks pretty good by me im not to familiar with amd parts but they all seem to check out ok

Yeah the reason why I'm going with AMD parts is because it's so much cheaper in every respect where I come from. The TDP of Sandy and Ivy Bridge does seem slighty better, but the price/performance just seems insane to me - but I might be wrong :) 

"very new to the forum!""2 posts"

You dont say?

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

"very new to the forum!""2 posts"

You dont say?

you just joined yesterday  :p lol 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

if your going with amd just because its cheaper your making the kids mistakes

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.

you just joined yesterday :p lol

you dont say?

Yeah the reason why I'm going with AMD parts is because it's so much cheaper in every respect where I come from. The TDP of Sandy and Ivy Bridge does seem slighty better, but the price/performance just seems insane to me - but I might be wrong :)

for budget builds always go amd once you are expecting ALOT out of your rig then you go intel IMO

you dont say?

no i do say :/

You're gonna have a great build when you're done!

Post a build log for us later on too!

You're gonna have a great build when you're done!

Post a build log for us later on too!

Planning on doing so :) 

for budget builds always go amd once you are expecting ALOT out of your rig then you go intel IMO

Can you explain your reason to this? The only advantage I can see is the lower TDP O:

Looks like a very good list of parts. Recently built a similar system for my GF. Used an ASUS 990FX mobo and an ASUS Direct CU 7850. Both running sweet. I would suggest the Gigabyte would also be a good board. With that graphics card you can also look forward to Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider and Far Cry Blood Dragon. Just make sure you buy the card from a retailer running the AMD promo. Never settle reloaded.

If you haven't bought the parts yet get a better cpu. A 6300 should be plenty and then OVERCLOCK IT TO ALL HELL!

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Energy can not be created nor destroyed, just converted to a different Type of energy.
My blog: T3Krant.blogspot.com

Can you explain your reason to this? The only advantage I can see is the lower TDP O:

I believe that the Intel side has pretty good overclocking potential 

I believe that the Intel side has pretty good overclocking potential 

So as long as my over-clocking intentions are close to non-existing I have no reason to worry with an AMD solution? :)

nive build bit wait for the 8000 series

get faster ram since amd loves that

in the lower range you can get a better cpu on amd but high range amd doesnt beat out intel imo  and intel is really good at overclocking again imo

If you're under a tight budget then go for whatever gets the bang for you buck. If you're budget is kind of loose, maybe try configuring a system with an Intel CPU

Thanks for all the fast replies and help guys, gonna make sure to update when my build is done :) 

Sounds like a decent build all in all.

And don't mind the "Intel so much uber" trolls, ofc there is some benefits over the Intel CPUs in some games, but newer games tend to run very very well on AMD Cpus especially when running Win8 or having the hotfix for Win7 [Contact M$ about it]. And as Slick said on the live stream, he hasn't noticed any difference between the AMD and the Intel CPUs while playing himself.

And I'd suggest you drop the H80i for now, as you are clearly not needing it desperately since you are not trying to OC for now and got with a 6350 or 8350 instead, as the trend in newer games seems to be focussing on multi-core-support and it might actually benefit you.

Or you squeeze in some more cash if you can and go for 6350 and try to get a 7970 since they are not that expensive anymore. It's hard to tell since I donno where you are from / where you buy from / what your budget is.

@Edit: Just saw you're from Denmark ;P so

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Sounds like a decent build all in all.

And don't mind the "Intel so much uber" trolls, ofc there is some benefits over the Intel CPUs in some games, but newer games tend to run very very well on AMD Cpus especially when running Win8 or having the hotfix for Win7 [Contact M$ about it]. And as Slick said on the live stream, he hasn't noticed any difference between the AMD and the Intel CPUs while playing himself.

And I'd suggest you drop the H80i for now, as you are clearly not needing it desperately since you are not trying to OC for now and got with a 6350 or 8350 instead, as the trend in newer games seems to be focussing on multi-core-support and it might actually benefit you.

Or you squeeze in some more cash if you can and go for 6350 and try to get a 7970 since they are not that expensive anymore. It's hard to tell since I donno where you are from / where you buy from / what your budget is.

@Edit: Just saw you're from Denmark ;P so

Thanks a lot for the info! Really appreciate it :D I might go ahead and check out my possibilities with higher end components as you suggest :) 

Build looks good, should perform well for whatever you're planning on doing with it. 

I'm a lover of Corsair too... Corsair case, ram, coolers, ssds, yeah... 

• 4 weeks later...

Right, so here is the update at last! I went with a different GPU, the XFX 7950 Double D instead, (as it was way cheaper in Denmark) as well as the H100i CPU water cooler, just because I could :D Also, I added a wireless card, as I am very limited with LAN-cables where my PC sits at the moment :)

I can now confirm that the H100i fits in the 300R, you do however need to be rather carefull when installing the radiator (not the tubes, as I've seen other mention), as it interferes with the RAM dimms, LP or non-LP. I tried to take a picture of that, as it is a really tight fit, but the picture is rather dark unfortunatly :(

IMG_1074_1.jpg?noCache=1370343174IMG_1076_1.jpg?noCache=1370343238

(how do you make these pictures larger?) 

Anyways, thanks for all the help and suggestions, as I have taken them to consideration when I built my PC.