I have been looking on the market for a while and kind of been flip flopping around not being able to make up my mind trying to decide on new parts. So I waited to have a better budget and settled on 5800x and a new Mobo with a bit of flexibility for extra things.

That's fine in all however I noticed I probably won't have a lot of headroom when it comes to the cooler (not wanting liquid cooled btw).  

It looks like the case I have has a maximum cooler height of 150mm but I am a bit stuck for choice finding the right thing for it.

I was looking at the "Noctua NH-U9S" and seems to be quite small in height however it specifies on the site low turbo / low overclocking. Not sure how this translates to stock clock speeds but im sure that would be fine. Even if I potentially dip the voltage a little bit.  

Or I could go for a little bit more out of my budget for a "DARK ROCK TF 2" which is 134mm height, an overall better product and is compatible with the mobo.

The obvious winner out of the two would be DARK ROCK but wanted to know if there are any other contenders under this size constraint as I haven't bought an after market cooler before.

I do have another larger case with an older build in it that I can definitely fit a larger sized cooler in, however the current PC sits pretty much flush where it is now so I do wan't to keep this case because of that

**Budget (including currency):** £50 - £80

**Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:** Programming, Gaming / VR, streaming, 3D usage & productivity use

**Other details** (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X  

MSI MAG B550M MORTAR / Wifi  

Corsair CC-9011075-WW Carbide Series 100R  

No AIO?

Ah, not a great case for AIO above 120mm - too bad.

I edit my posts more often than not

I remember a much earlier post where a. Guy was trying to fit a big cooler in a server case with a crossbar in just the wrong place which gave him an even lower total height.  The only possibility was an out of production alphencool tower that appeared to be unobtainium. That scythe is a 149mm is a mere one mm under max. Might work.  If it doesn’t liquid may be your only option though.  Thermalright LeGrande macho rt is 150mm even, but that’s even closer. By a mm.  It’s tallest point is it’s fan though which is a bit variable. I don’t know what the variance is with these things. A mm seems like a lot, but the tallest point is often a protruding heat pipe and those are often clipped and filled by hand, so they can vary more.  Maybe look at pics and see what your best bet is.  I don’t know of a low profile air cooler that will handle a 5800x though.  They’re not as warm as some intel chips, but they’re warm.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.