GPU Scratched, no output

Winter78
Go to solution Solved by Beerzerker,

That looks like spidering (Cracking) of the silicon due to uneven pressure on one side, not scratches. Bear in mind silicon itself is just a form of processed glass and is prone to cracking since it's a hard substance.... Like glass.
And I believe I see a tiny piece of the core that's broken off to the left right along the edge and can be seen clearly in this shot:

1903621014_chippedchip.thumb.jpg.67b0e7df20ba424696cad005b0f10f6d.jpg

If so the card is done.

Hello guys

I changed GPU's thermal paste and when I wanted to reassembled GPU , I tightened one of the four screws a little harder than it would be! And heatsink pressed on chipset and scratched a little on it! After that Gpu running without any output (just powering on and heating up).

GPU model is ZOTAC 1650 Super

Is there any chance to repair it?

Thank you for helping

IMG_20211208_204419.jpg

IMG_20211208_204443.jpg

IMG_20211208_212325.jpg

Just a diffuser. Doubt the scratches did anything. Prolly the over pressure. Did you loosen it and try again?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

8 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Just a diffuser. Doubt the scratches did anything. Prolly the over pressure. Did you loosen it and try again?

since then first time I tried just as you said and second time I tried even without heatsink but they were the same before!

I asked computer repairman ,almost experienced, and he said if the chipset is damaged it cannot be repaired because the cost of repairing is too high and it is not eoconomical to repair it!

I just wanna know is there any chance to repair? Because we don't know what happened inside the chipset!

I see a chunk missing on the left side of the die, I would say you likely killed your GPU: 

image.png.46f68813541af397030b2932ae0fd23b.png

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

That looks like spidering (Cracking) of the silicon due to uneven pressure on one side, not scratches. Bear in mind silicon itself is just a form of processed glass and is prone to cracking since it's a hard substance.... Like glass.
And I believe I see a tiny piece of the core that's broken off to the left right along the edge and can be seen clearly in this shot:

1903621014_chippedchip.thumb.jpg.67b0e7df20ba424696cad005b0f10f6d.jpg

If so the card is done.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

moral of the story 

a) dont use force to tight your heatsink 

b) to evenly distribute the pressure dont fully screw one screw and then go to the next and so on.. 

Lets say you have screws A B C D 

image.png.17f029098f93d6ced74bf2869b196be0.png

Start by screwing A not all the way just a few turns to be sure it is screwed in and wont pop if you apply pressure to the other side (D) 

Then screw with a few turns screw D 

Do the same to screw B then again for screw C

The starting screw (here in this example it is A) doesnt matter as long as you do the corner oposite screw = the series you screw matters

so if you sart with A the series should be   A > D > B >C 

If you start with lets say C the series should be C > B > D >A 

and so on and so forth. 

once you have made a few turns to all the screws then (following the same series pattern) start on your initial screw (in this example A) and tight it up then screw D then screw B then screw C

Tighting it up =  screw it just by moving your fingers using the same force you would use to screw a cap of a bottle of water for example

once (by using the aforementioned force) the screw driver slips from the screw it means you are finished with this screw and should go to the next. 

Once you finished with all of them you should start again with your initial screw and use a little more force to do a couple of turns more (no more than 4! ) feel how much force/torque you need to make the first extra turn and use the same force/torque until etheir the screw driver slips again or you have done already 3,4 turns you do that again in the same series as before. 

Once you done that just check (by using the same force as you did before ) if any of the screws gives in and turns more (1 turn max) and just turn it  (this is optional in case while you were screwing the other screws one screw got extra space because of a slight unevenness while screwing)  

Sounds complicated but it is very simple and you just need not to use excessive force and get a feel for it, if you do it like a dozen of times (or less depending if you are a good with your hands) you will develop a feel for it. 

8 hours ago, papajo said:

moral of the story 

a) dont use force to tight your heatsink 

b) to evenly distribute the pressure dont fully screw one screw and then go to the next and so on.. 

Lets say you have screws A B C D 

image.png.17f029098f93d6ced74bf2869b196be0.png

Start by screwing A not all the way just a few turns to be sure it is screwed in and wont pop if you apply pressure to the other side (D) 

Then screw with a few turns screw D 

Do the same to screw B then again for screw C

The starting screw (here in this example it is A) doesnt matter as long as you do the corner oposite screw = the series you screw matters

so if you sart with A the series should be   A > D > B >C 

If you start with lets say C the series should be C > B > D >A 

and so on and so forth. 

once you have made a few turns to all the screws then (following the same series pattern) start on your initial screw (in this example A) and tight it up then screw D then screw B then screw C

Tighting it up =  screw it just by moving your fingers using the same force you would use to screw a cap of a bottle of water for example

once (by using the aforementioned force) the screw driver slips from the screw it means you are finished with this screw and should go to the next. 

Once you finished with all of them you should start again with your initial screw and use a little more force to do a couple of turns more (no more than 4! ) feel how much force/torque you need to make the first extra turn and use the same force/torque until etheir the screw driver slips again or you have done already 3,4 turns you do that again in the same series as before. 

Once you done that just check (by using the same force as you did before ) if any of the screws gives in and turns more (1 turn max) and just turn it  (this is optional in case while you were screwing the other screws one screw got extra space because of a slight unevenness while screwing)  

Sounds complicated but it is very simple and you just need not to use excessive force and get a feel for it, if you do it like a dozen of times (or less depending if you are a good with your hands) you will develop a feel for it. 

THIS.

The OP encountered a "Hinge" effect when the screws were being set in place.

Using this as an example, that happens when you run a screw in all the way, THEN do the next one. Problem is, since the first screw is already tight, it causes the edge that's already tight to act as a hinge, placing ALOT of pressure on that side as the other tries to come down and establish pressure - Literally the same effect as if you were to place your hand in a doorhinge and start to close the door.

OUCH.

And this same effect can happen with....
Anything so be aware of that anytime you're trying to do something like this that has multiple fasteners across it's surface.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.