Buyer Beware Experience outline (MSI LEDKEEPER and EasyAntiCheat)

Seeds

Hello LTT community,

I've been a long time fan via youtube, and not a direct contributor of the LTT community. I've recently undergone an experience with a new build, which as a gamer, is quite unsettling.

In short, Brand new MSI mobo required drivers for RGB controls, which has gotten me banned from multiple gaming platforms.

I built a new pc at the start of October (purchased at the end of September), you can find the relevant part list here: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/mBPpfP . In addition to the linked part list, I have an RTX 2080.

During the first month and a half, I was periodically ejected from games (experience varied based on games. Some games wouldn't prompt with Easy Anti Cheat [It was confirmed via log retrieval]). Admittedly i dont game too often, single dad, with job, etc.... So i didn't think too much about it, but i reached out to MSI directly in mid/late october, and I was told by MSI Support that they would investigate the issue.

ledkeeper.png.a973d58332e7e92d60ab9045c7fc3108.png

image.png.8baa4508a31a73e872f84db4a334b3ce.png

I received my first ban notice on December 1st, due to malicious software, after speaking out to support, the item logged by EasyAntiCheat was LEDKEEPER2.exe.

image.png.fadcd3c52ee06a64594c8ccb0c39c892.png
I have uninstalled MSI Center, Installed and Uninstalled DragonCenter, and regardless of the state of MSI Center/MysticLight/DragonCenter the background Application LEDKEEPER2.exe self initializes which results in an ejection/disruption of the gaming experience.

After this ban arrived, I've been banned on several EA platform games (not strictly APEX). I reached out to some of the main games I play (which have also flagged me/ejected me in the past). During this process i called MSI Support again and was told that they were aware of the issue and they wouldn't be fixing it. Its a required hook in their software and that it was my responsibility as an end user to reach out to developers/publishers to get the software whitelisted.

My ban appeals with EA:
I've submitted 4 so far, with each appeal, they just reset my password and mark the ticket as complete.

My appeal with Crytek:
My account has not yet been banned (just periodically ejected from lobbies). Upon further inquiries on how i can resolve the issue with them directly, so that I dont have to worry, I was told their was nothing they could do.

image.thumb.png.3802d461630587613adbbe36c1aef7b5.png

My ban appeal with WB:
Still ongoing. Game Development staff are investigating options currently.

I am sharing my experience in the hopes of warning others that MSI has a known issue with their LED management software, this issue does not occur on iCue managed led's. I hope by posting this i can prevent someone else from experiencing this issue.

If you have recommendations on how to fix this issue please feel free to provide, i have done the following:

- Turned OFF Mystic Light in MSI Center
- Uninstalled Mystic Light, Uninstalled MSI Center
- Installed Dragon Center, Disabled Mystic Light
- Re-installed Drivers
- Reformatted, Fresh install of drivers (no MSI Center/DragonCenter or Mysic Light)

I was still ejected from lobbies in each of the above instances.

I will be looking to replace all MSI hardware that is part of this build within the coming month, if you have suggested alternatives, please keep them in the other thread 🙂
EDIT: I have replaced both components and removed all instances of MSI software from my machine. I removed the link since the other thread is no longer relevant.

image.png

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

Do you really need RGB that bad? 

I tried playing with the RGB disabled (all lights off). Still got ejected... I blocked and disabled the background service (I'm on Windows 10)... That resulted in me having to unblock it via safe mode and a usb XD

Weird that you are the only one crying foul about this though. If it really was the MSI RGB software, wouldnt we have seen more reports of this? And hey, I am a huge anti-MSI person but even I'm a bit skeptical here.

Have you done a fresh load of Windows during your troubleshooting steps? Like blow away partitions and start from scratch. Just in case you were infected with some malware that masks itself as LEDkeeper? IDK, like I said prevously, I just feel like if it were this software causing bans, there would be much more noise about it across the industry...

Just now, narrdarr said:

My games just won't launch until I disable the Ledbetter

Awe, but what did Eddie Vedder ever do to you....

Just now, Bad5ector said:

Weird that you are the only one crying foul about this though. If it really was the MSI RGB software, wouldnt we have seen more reports of this? And hey, I am a huge anti-MSI person but even I'm a bit skeptical here.

Have you done a fresh load of Windows during your troubleshooting steps? Like blow away partitions and start from scratch. Just in case you were infected with some malware that masks itself as LEDkeeper? IDK, like I said prevously, I just feel like if it were this software causing bans, there would be much more noise about it across the industry...

I agree, however i had to dig deep and i can find several instances of this in the past. The mobo in question has onboard RGB's? i'm not entirely sure.

I did however find other people reporting the same problem:

In regards to the proposed fix, I've attached a screenshot verifying the documented fix is active on my machine.

image.png

Unless you really need the RGB software, uninstall the software then find and manually delete LEDKEEPER2.exe. I believe you can trace running processes from Task Manager, if that helps.

elephants

3 minutes ago, Seeds said:

I did however find other people reporting the same problem:

Ouch, yet another reason I can add to my list of reasons I'd never give MSI any more of my money. Best of luck on replacement parts. Personally I am an Asus man myself, practically every board since 2002 has been an Asus. So I am a tad biased.

EDIT: However, if you want to continue to use your hardware, why not try removing LEDKeeper all together and install something like SignalRGB??

Just now, FakeKGB said:

Unless you really need the RGB software, uninstall the software then find and manually delete LEDKEEPER2.exe. I believe you can trace running processes from Task Manager, if that helps.

I previously locked the application (soft delete via permissions). This resulted in a failure to boot windows. I had to use a usb recovery drive to go back to the file and unblock the file.
I can give this another chance, however I will be replacing the hardware in full in the coming weeks. I wanted to provide a notice to the community stating the problem. I have the luxury of being able to afford another mobo, and I was already approved for a refund. I fear that if someone else experiences this problem, they may not be so lucky.

1 minute ago, Seeds said:

I previously locked the application (soft delete via permissions). This resulted in a failure to boot windows. I had to use a usb recovery drive to go back to the file and unblock the file.
I can give this another chance, however I will be replacing the hardware in full in the coming weeks. I wanted to provide a notice to the community stating the problem. I have the luxury of being able to afford another mobo, and I was already approved for a refund. I fear that if someone else experiences this problem, they may not be so lucky.

That's weird, to say the least. Perhaps try moving the file to a USB flash drive? Permission blocking could be confusing Windows - this doesn't really make sense but Windows makes about as much sense as a book if you took out every 5th letter sometimes.

elephants

Just now, FakeKGB said:

That's weird, to say the least. Perhaps try moving the file to a USB flash drive? Permission blocking could be confusing Windows - this doesn't really make sense but Windows makes about as much sense as a book if you took out every 5th letter sometimes.

I'll give it another shot today/tomorrow then. Just busy with Holidays, i've resigned to not worry about this too much XD I can go a month without competitive gaming. "Satisfactory" doesnt care if i use RGB's XD

22 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Do you really need RGB that bad? 

I mean, if I paid for RGB and it turned out that the software that controls it got me banned from games, I'd be pissed too...

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

weird I have never had issues with LEDKeeper2.exe on easy anticheat. I have played a few games and my MSI motherboards LEDKeeper software has never caused this (maybe something to watch out for?). I know most people hate the MSI software as its pretty bad as well as my gigabyte one (used for RTX 3080 LCD screen lol). Its usually used to try and find info on the game to sync the RGB with the game. This could be causing the false positive as long as you dont have anything spicy installed that makes it appear to be LEDKeeper. You might have to open a ticket and wait for the software to be deemed ok again. Usually alot of RGB software does this during updates and alike. My Bloody keyboard software technically got me a perma ban from wow when I had to open a ticket and get it escalated to a human and they basically said uninstall the bloody keyboard software and well unban you lol...

1 minute ago, GodSeph said:

You might have to open a ticket and wait for the software to be deemed ok again. Usually alot of RGB software does this during updates and alike.

Where would you recommend I go to open the ticket?

I've contacted MSI, EA, Crytek, WB, and I havent had any luck. I did reach out to Easy AntiCheat directly, however I haven't heard back (I forgot to include this in the original post)

If you have advice on how to fix the problem, I'm all ears 🙂
Out of curiosity, can you load APEX with your RGB on (for your MSI boards)?

Just now, Seeds said:

Where would you recommend I go to open the ticket?

I've contacted MSI, EA, Crytek, WB, and I havent had any luck. I did reach out to Easy AntiCheat directly, however I haven't heard back (I forgot to include this in the original post)

If you have advice on how to fix the problem, I'm all ears 🙂
Out of curiosity, can you load APEX with your RGB on (for your MSI boards)?

You would open a ticket with EA and Apex and communicate through them. I have never spoken with EA so I wouldn't know how good they support lines are. Best would be to get all the information ready. What software did it say was detected? Get a copy of the software and screenshots. Explain clearly to them that it might be a false positive and if they could investigate your account and show them that it could be the RGB software and if they have any recommendations to assist you.

Historically for me if I communicate with them calmly and explain what happened they usually investigate and if I show them screenshots of what it said I was X for and here is a copy and location to download the software https://www.msi.com/Landing/mystic-light-rgb-gaming-pc/ usually they listen and willing to work something out.

I have an MSI board and the drivers/software for it. That Dragon center or whatever I usually never have it running which controls my RGB with LEDKeeper background app. I have yet to see any issues as of yet. I cannot confirm or deny if the software is bannable or not as I am not EA and if they REALLY dont like LEDKeeper (maybe someone hates MSI there lol) they might now be banning for it. I havnt played Apex this week and wont be able to try until I am done work.

good luck and I hope to see you on the battlefield.

9 minutes ago, GodSeph said:

You would open a ticket with EA and Apex and communicate through them.

image.thumb.png.169182262989800ec9d808b05139f7f3.pngimage.png.e99fe4b05d0d5f0e11599d5813cf8b8a.png

I filed another dispute with them. We'll see how it goes 🙂

image.thumb.png.4149c7d656b5049fdceb2af483e16e88.png