Cold Hands

Aree Soothsayer

I've been gaming in 50-40F temps. It will only get colder. I'd like to be able to game withoutt icecubes for hands. Any recommendations for gloves to keep warming down to 30F, for safety, while able to use a keyboard without hitting multiple keys per keystroke.

If you up your keyboard game, you might be able to game with ice cubes for hands after all.

Screenshot 2021-12-05 163938.png

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

Unfortunately space is limited and my desk is so cluttered with stuff that would otherwise be set on the floor, inside of cubbyholes, ect. So yea. Gloves.

Where are you even located that you're trying to use a computer for gaming at literal freezing temperatures? Because if it's residential and you can't be bothered or can't afford to turn on your heating, you most certainly can't afford to keep a computer running and have other problems.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

19 hours ago, DarkEnergy said:

If you up your keyboard game, you might be able to game with ice cubes for hands after all.

Screenshot 2021-12-05 163938.png

Where did you get that keyboard?

11 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

Where are you even located that you're trying to use a computer for gaming at literal freezing temperatures? Because if it's residential and you can't be bothered or can't afford to turn on your heating, you most certainly can't afford to keep a computer running and have other problems.

Back when I used to rent a House, I had Electric Baseboard Heat.  Only turned on the ones in the Kitchen, one bedroom, and of course the bathroom.

Get yourself exercising bike with generator. Your body will heat up from cycling, and you will generate power for electric heater. Or you could get gas powered heater.

But on more serious note, using consumer electronics at freezing temps is not good idea. Prolonged use of such components that have exposed contacts (like motherboard or GPU) near source of heat can and will build up condensation.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

In all seriousness, you either live in an Area where the cost of Electric and Gas is really high. Or you have very limited means due to multiple reasons.

If you own, replacing busted plumping isn't cheap. You could simply set the Heat to 52 F. That is still above freezing. Rental? Possibly evicted due to Property Damage caused by not turning the Heat during Freezing Weather.  

On 12/5/2021 at 11:06 PM, Aree Soothsayer said:

I've been gaming in 50-40F temps.

Damn that's cold. Can you still see your monitor when you exhale?

Jokes aside.

I honestly wasn't expecting that. I would have suggested putting sweatbands on your wrists but at these temperatures that won't do a damn thing.

I have been using The North Face Etip gloves for about 6 or 7 years now in cold weather and as long as it isn't too far blow freezing they work pretty good in my experience. They are fairly tight around the fingers so they are probably good for typing and things like that (never tried that so I cannot really say).

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

How about you get something like a USB heater? I imagine it being most handy when you have a keyboard with extra USB port on it.

You could even look into mice/keyboards that output heat because of their RGB lighting, they should be out there, but I doubt it will make a difference.

How about heated gloves? Those exist too.
Just some random ideas, I hope it's something.

Thanks for the ideas. However it looks like the only viable (affordable) option for me is those gloves with the fingertips missing.

Is your monitor made to be operated in cold spaces? I had to check what is said about LEDs as LCDs are known to become sluggish in freezing temps. For consumer LEDs manufacturers recommend over 5C temps. Under that and they will become sluggish too.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Something like leather driving gloves might be good - not the warmest, but certainly better than nothing. Tight and tactile enough to not mess up key-strokes.

On 12/8/2021 at 10:15 AM, Aree Soothsayer said:

Thanks for the ideas. However it looks like the only viable (affordable) option for me is those gloves with the fingertips missing.

Yeah, that's really all you can get. Gloves that cover the fingers will add resistance everytime you try to move. Anyways, do some light exercises before you use your computer to get your blood pumping. Will help you stay warm. Jumping jacks, pushups, squats. Those kind of things.

On 12/10/2021 at 1:48 AM, Aree Soothsayer said:

This is my monitor. Dunno if it's LED or not. I just wanted the Contrast and color.

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/curved/samsung-24-curved-led-monitor-lc24f390fhnxza/

Says LED in the name of it. Also, from manual, operating environment should be 50-104 F. That means, if temperature is under that and there is some issue, Samsung can make it harder to gain warranty support. Warranty usually has statement about using product against recommended situations. But more likely is that the performance is not as good or significantly worse outside of that range.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 12/5/2021 at 2:06 PM, Aree Soothsayer said:

I've been gaming in 50-40F temps. It will only get colder. I'd like to be able to game withoutt icecubes for hands. Any recommendations for gloves to keep warming down to 30F, for safety, while able to use a keyboard without hitting multiple keys per keystroke.

You would probably be better off using regular gloves and a controller.

• 2 weeks later...

Was seen outside by a woman in 40ishh degree weather and no gloves. She promptly gavee me the 2$ cotton stretchy gloves she just got inside and got herself another pair,

Problem solved I guess. XD