Has LTT made any hints at a new Secret Shopper coming out?

dackadoo

I decided to re-watch the 2020 secret shopper videos for some reason, and it got me thinking if LTT has made any hints at a new one coming out. Anyone know? I know they said in the last one that they *hope* it won't take another 2 years to release a new one. I think the topic is especially more relevant now with how ridiculous prices are.

That really is a great series, and I've rewatched it a number of times myself. But, while popular, I would guess that, because of the current market, LTT won't be doing a Secret Shopper series anytime soon. Pre-builts are very overpriced right now, so it doesn't make much sense to be recommending OEMs and SIs when the best advice is: if you don't need to upgrade for sure, don't right now.

Also, I hope that they keep it well under wraps for when they're doing it the next time, so that companies can't try to prepare themselves for the occasion by temporarily stepping up their game.

yeah, the price and support can be a bit wild now. also the pandemic halting few aspects and if there is any support, it might not be comparable.

It was 2 years between the first two, and I think that's a good interval for such an undertaking. I think it is actually more fair to the SIs and OEMs they're shopping, because it can take that long to try to change processes and practices to resolve their issues.

Maybe the secret shopper type of idea could be applied to some other product than gaming PCs? How about cell phones? Audio gear? Maybe even upgrade part sources, which right now would be the most relevant thing.

I doubt that we are getting that series this year. Next spring is most likely. Besides giving SI's chance to improve their mistakes, they do need yet another new shopper, someone who has not been burned on camera. Like both Sarah and Janice were never seen on camera anywhere before. I don't know how much anti-Linus tech these companies will have to try and match voice patterns, but you never know.

What I hope is that they do something bit different next time. Its been now young females twice. Maybe next should be older person, like a parent looking for something for their own or relatives teen?

19 hours ago, Euchre said:

Maybe the secret shopper type of idea could be applied to some other product than gaming PCs? How about cell phones? Audio gear? Maybe even upgrade part sources, which right now would be the most relevant thing.

How would these work exactly? For both, its going to be visiting store, and filming such covertly is next to impossible (and publishing is illegal on top). And that type of stuff is not sold over the phone in a way where customer calls to company. For phones, other way around for sure.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

23 hours ago, dackadoo said:

I think the topic is especially more relevant now with how ridiculous prices are.

Gamers Nexus has been buying prebuilts and covering them recently. Not quite the same as the secret shopper series, but, still covers prebuilts.

On 12/5/2021 at 5:08 PM, LogicalDrm said:

What I hope is that they do something bit different next time. Its been now young females twice. Maybe next should be older person, like a parent looking for something for their own or relatives teen?

I like that idea.

On 12/5/2021 at 5:08 PM, LogicalDrm said:

How would these work exactly? For both, its going to be visiting store, and filming such covertly is next to impossible (and publishing is illegal on top). And that type of stuff is not sold over the phone in a way where customer calls to company. For phones, other way around for sure.

For cell phones, it would be tricky, and would have to be limited to unlocked devices, because of carrier differences based on country. You can buy devices directly from Apple, Samsung, and Google online. Similar thing would apply to audio gear. The upgrade hardware sources, like Newegg or Crucial or whatnot, could be a really like what we saw for whole system purchasing.

10 hours ago, Euchre said:

I like that idea.

For cell phones, it would be tricky, and would have to be limited to unlocked devices, because of carrier differences based on country. You can buy devices directly from Apple, Samsung, and Google online. Similar thing would apply to audio gear. The upgrade hardware sources, like Newegg or Crucial or whatnot, could be a really like what we saw for whole system purchasing.

That still doesn't equal to what the serial is about. You could buy any phone by just walking into store. There aren't that many brand-based stores where sales rep bs would come directly from brand instead of just general upselling. Second part of what you get and how it compares is just same as with normal phone reviews. The customer support part is the only place where there's even chance of making this interesting. Be it about warranty claims or hardware upgrades (if those are even a thing).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Giving hints that it's coming would defeat the purpose of the series. But if you're looking for something similar, Gamers Nexus also reviewed a lot of pre-builts by now. TLDW is basically don't buy prebuilts. Most of them fall short in one way or another.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 12/5/2021 at 4:14 PM, OhioYJ said:

Gamers Nexus has been buying prebuilts and covering them recently. Not quite the same as the secret shopper series, but, still covers prebuilts.

I've been watching all of their pre-built review videos, they are quite funny.

On 12/4/2021 at 8:21 PM, Euchre said:

It was 2 years between the first two, and I think that's a good interval for such an undertaking. I think it is actually more fair to the SIs and OEMs they're shopping, because it can take that long to try to change processes and practices to resolve their issues.

A secret shopper type series for another product is a great idea, I would definitely watch one on audio gear, upgrade part sources, etc.

48 minutes ago, dackadoo said:

A secret shopper type series for another product is a great idea, I would definitely watch one on audio gear, upgrade part sources, etc.

Again, how would that be done with the keyword "secret"? Just buying stuff online and seeing what they get? Isn't that like basic review at that point?

Also, they still lack audio guy, with James being probably closest.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv