Need single width GPU for older CPU

Radium_Angel

Looking for a single width (prefer nVidia, but beggars can't be choosers) GPU, used will be obviously fine, that would pair well with a core i5-4430.

Any suggestions?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

Looking for a single width (prefer nVidia, but beggars can't be choosers) GPU, used will be obviously fine, that would pair well with a core i5-4430.

Any suggestions?

Single slot GPUs have been thin on the ground for a very long time now.  How much power do you need?  I hope not very much because there won’t BE very much to get. 4430 means “can’t game” in this day and age, and lower end GPUs haven’t risen in price much.  It’s the ones that can game that have a problem.  Putting the biggest gpu in the world on that thing won’t make it play many games though.  There are some that will work perhaps.  Some fps shooters and some casual games. Iirc the 4430 had an iGPU in it.  Not a very good one, but it might be enough for what you need.  What do you need btw?  If all you want to do is run 1 1080p monitor for browsing and such I’d say “no card at all” the internal iGPU is capable of that.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Single slot GPUs have been thin on the ground for a very long time now.  How much power do you need?  I hope not very much because there won’t BE very much to get. 4430 means “can’t game” in this day and age, and lower end GPUs haven’t risen in price much.  It’s the ones that can game that have a problem.  Putting the biggest gpu in the world on that thing won’t make it play many games though.  There are some that will work perhaps.  Some fps shooters and some casual games. Iirc the 4430 had an iGPU in it.  Not a very good one, but it might be enough for what you need.  What do you need btw?

Not much of a gamer, just want better than iGPU on that i5.

I have a GT1030 but to be honest I'm not certain that's an improvement...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Not much of a gamer, just want better than iGPU on that i5.

It is.  Even a garbage one.  I understand not all 1030s are created equal. It depends very heavily on what kind of memory they have in them.  There was one 550ti and one 1650 iirc that were done single slot.  It was long though and there would be a premium on it even now. Iirc someone had that 1650 for sale for $600.  Could make some older games work.   I wouldn’t bother though. Putting money into even a z97 system though doesn’t sound to me like a worthwhile venture.  The thing is what it is.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

12 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

it 100% is

even if its the bad 1030 memory, its ging to be better ( a 4th gen igpu barely will beat a 710 is memory serves from a dawid does tech stuff vid

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Putting money into even a z97 system though doesn’t sound to me like a worthwhile venture

Eh, I got it for 11$, so it's just to play around with under *nix (probably some version of debian, as it's what I'm most familiar with)

I'll just stick with the  gt 1030 then. Thanks for the info.

17 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Eh, I got it for 11$, so it's just to play around with under *nix (probably some version of debian, as it's what I'm most familiar with)

I'll just stick with the  gt 1030 then. Thanks for the info.

Should do that just fine.  Have fun 🙂