Keep Gtx 670 or get Gtx690 or Gtx titan?

RTX MONSTER

Hey Guys,

Im new to the forum :) and like to say hi

Im upgrading my graphics card (gtx 670) and am thinking of going for the Gtx 690 or the Gtx Titan but am unsure which way to go about it, ive read so many different articles and forums and everyone says different things but i cant make a decision and am hoping you kind people can lead me to the right path.

I will be gaming with one 27inch benq monitor at 1920 by 1080 but might be getting another monitor in the future.

With general gaming on ultra settings my 670 is running a bit slow that is why i am upgrading. The kind of games im playing are crysis 1-3, sniper ghost warrior alot of the new games, so fairly demanding on the gpu.

I know a 690 or a titan is probably overkill for single monitor but will i notice a big difference in fps, smoothness, graphic quality ect with a 690 or titan over the 670? I plan on keeping the card for the next 3-5 years if not longer.

Will the 2gb memory on the 690 be enough for the next 3-5 years, or would the titans 6gb be better

Im not intrested in 670 sli or 680 sli even though it is alot cheaper i prefer a single card, I really like the look of the 690/titan there very sexy ;)

My specs are

I7 3770k oc to 4.6

Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 motherboard

16 gb of corsair memory

Corsair 860i power supply

250gb ssd and 1tb hard drive

Corsair h100i cpu cooler

Corsair c70 case

Benq 27inch monitor

blue ray and dvd player/burner

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks GtxMonster

<p> I7 4770k @4.4ghz,Corsair H100i, Gigabyte G1 SNIPER 5, 16gb Corsair Dominator platinum memory, Nvidia Geforce GTX 690, 1 x Corsair ssd, 1 x samsung ssd, Corsair AX860 psu, LG dvd/blue ray drive, Lamptron FC8, 2 Corsair AF series Fans, 6 Corsair SP series Fans, Windows 7 ultimate Corsair 760T Arctic White..........What a BEAST :)

I would get the titan. Single card is always a better option considering you don't have to worry about sli profiles or deal with the vast amount of games that have terrible sli/crossfire support.

I'd look for a 7990 if I had that kind of money for a video card. Or a Titan is great if you're scared of xfire/sli problems.

titan 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Thanks for the replys guys :)

I was looking at the 690 over the titan, but they were the only issues that were going against it. How bad is the sli issues? Im kinda new to the sli world. And i assume the titan over the 670 would be a massive difference in performance and gaming experince?

Thanks guys, :)

<p> I7 4770k @4.4ghz,Corsair H100i, Gigabyte G1 SNIPER 5, 16gb Corsair Dominator platinum memory, Nvidia Geforce GTX 690, 1 x Corsair ssd, 1 x samsung ssd, Corsair AX860 psu, LG dvd/blue ray drive, Lamptron FC8, 2 Corsair AF series Fans, 6 Corsair SP series Fans, Windows 7 ultimate Corsair 760T Arctic White..........What a BEAST :)

Im not intrested in 670 sli or 680 sli even though it is alot cheaper i prefer a single card, I really like the look of the 690/titan there very sexy ;)

A 690 is just 2 Kepler GPUs in SLI on the same PCB . .. 

But yea if you want to be more future proof, go down the Titan route.

I'm just a soul who is up to no good.

What's the refresh rate of your monitor? If it's 60, you probably won't notice much difference between a Titan and 670. You could however use the monitor overclocking on the titan.

If you just want to game I would definetely recommend getting another 670 and put them in SLI. SLI scales very well and you shouldn't face any issues like micro stuttering or things like that, which were common in the early days. Titan is a waste in my opinion for gaming purposes, especially if you only play at 1080p. Titan is a card for reaching insane benchmark scores or in this case gaming, but in general for using high resolutions in various applications.

Another 670 would be my recommend for you. Dual card setups look good and you will save a good amount of money going that road. Besides, two 670s can be as good if not better than a gtx titan!

You're 'upgrading' your GTX 670? Dang!!! Well as the others said, get the Titan because one card is better than multiple. It allows you to get guaranteed performance in your games unlike setups involving SLI or crossfire where performance varies.

What's the refresh rate of your monitor? If it's 60, you probably won't notice much difference between a Titan and 670. You could however use the monitor overclocking on the titan.

I believe my monitor is 120, with 1 ms response time

I believe my monitor is 120, with 1 ms response time

Then you will definitely notice a difference on the newest games if you get a Titan. If you have the money, I'd go for it :) They're so sick, the aluminum shroud is crazy beautiful.

Thanks for all the reply's guys :)  you have been a great help 

Thanks again GtxMonster  

I'd look for a 7990 if I had that kind of money for a video card. Or a Titan is great if you're scared of xfire/sli problems.

I take it you don't buy into the "Frame Times" hype? I still can't personally recommend any dual AMD GPU setup at the moment.

Regardless of that I'm surprised you are having issues with your 670, as I am running a single 670 on 1920x1200 with no issues what so ever.

With all that said, I wouldn't get a Titan or a 690, the price to performance on them is horrible. Just get another 670. There is seriously no other option that isn't just "stupid". 

get the titan,2gb vram in 690 is not enough if u plan gaming in 2 monitor setup

I would have been suggesting that a little while ago but now I know about frame times I'm not so sure. My suggestion would be to wait for either the 700 or 8000 series to arrive.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Personally, if you are gaming on a single 1080p monitor, I'd recommend the 690 over the Titan.

everyone always says no 690 so go titan

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Looks like the Titan is the clear winner with the majority of you guys, so that tells me that its the better choice out of the 3 cards. Ive been doing more research into the titan and its consistent through every test, compared to the 690 its not far from it in performance.   

700 series coming out soon are they? 

Looks like the Titan is the clear winner with the majority of you guys, so that tells me that its the better choice out of the 3 cards. Ive been doing more research into the titan and its consistent through every test, compared to the 690 its not far from it in performance.   

700 series coming out soon are they? 

Dual GPU cards tend to have less driver and game code optimization which leads to inconsistent performance. There is also the issue of scaling if the game has not been properly coded for it. So a single powerful card is typically smoother than 2 slightly weaker cards.

Rumored release date for the 700 series is around mid to end of May but there is still no confirmation as to the specs and pricing.

Dual GPU cards tend to have less driver and game code optimization which leads to inconsistent performance. There is also the issue of scaling if the game has not been properly coded for it. So a single powerful card is typically smoother than 2 slightly weaker cards.

Rumored release date for the 700 series is around mid to end of May but there is still no confirmation as to the specs and pricing.

That's a great way of explaining it, that will be interesting when they come out. Cheers  

I would say out of those 2 go the Titan, but I am agreeing with a few of these posters here that say to get another 670, the 670 is an awesome card on its own and 2 of them in SLI will probably outperform the Titan. Though it would be awesome to own a Titan :)

Rig: MSI X370 SLI-Plus | Ryzen 7 1700X | ASUS GTX1070 | Corsair Vengeance 32gb DDR4 3000mhz | Corsair RM750i PSU | Samsung EVO 960 256GB NVMe SSD | Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD | NZXT S340 Elite Case | Custom Water Loop

wait for next gen... sell the 670 and get a 790

Character artist in the Games industry.