Coil Whine in GPU even though its in a Custom Loop? Any Thoughts? Still investigating

So, straight to the point. Noise emitted from the GPU, definitely sounds and screeches like coil whine. Recently, Turning OFF Vsync starts this coil whine effect, while turning ON Vsync has the opposite effect. Running games like Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2033, Squad, Halo etc. Built my loop about a month ago. Fans are super quiet (Phanteks T30 120mm) + Pump RPM at 1200. No noise, super quiet and super cool. Around 50-55C on CPU, 60-70C GPU on average for most games on Ultra at 1440p.

Apologies for Potato Quality but Imgur decides to reduce 4k Quality on the IPhone for some reason.

Can someone explain what is happening in terms of the GPU itself deciding to scream its lungs out? Noticeable loud pitched, video doesn't do it justice.

Photo for Reference to Build.

W8inxBT.thumb.jpg.c006ef59f34cca1513671527cd5463db.jpg

I've checked the fittings, FAN RPM, PUMP RPM, loop, flushed the loop, turned off the PC, Flipped it in a 360 direction just to make sure no air bubbles are causing a whiny noise, which has been ruled out.

So, whats your thoughts? Anyone experience or still experience this and know a definitive solution or answer?

It's normal when gpus goes all out coil whine is almost a must. its prominent in all 3000 series .turning vsync on limit gpu usage so the card isn't going all out ( very high fps). There is no problem with your card or loop but if u want to turn vsync off in less demanding titles u might want to move your system away from your self or turn on the volume to mask coil whine 

Is it only happening in the menu, or is it in game as well?

Coil whine often happens when the FPS are very high, like in the menu of some games. That also explain why turning Vsync on negates it as it is limiting your FPS to the refreshrate of your monitor

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

The noise is probably power circuits and the core on the gpu. You can try setting an fps limit, tone probably changes with fps. That could make it less apparent. It might be louder than stock if the card is boosting farther, you could try less voltage and clocks to test too.  

The noise from the components can also be sent to poorly shielded speakers and wires, so if your speaker is right next to your PC on the desk, it might pick it up.

36 minutes ago, chaotic kronos said:

It's normal when gpus goes all out coil whine is almost a must. its prominent in all 3000 series .turning vsync on limit gpu usage so the card isn't going all out ( very high fps). There is no problem with your card or loop but if u want to turn vsync off in less demanding titles u might want to move your system away from your self or turn on the volume to mask coil whine 

I thought Coil Whine is removed once moving / spinning parts is eliminated. Was definitely not prepared for this type of noise.

36 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

Is it only happening in the menu, or is it in game as well?

Coil whine often happens when the FPS are very high, like in the menu of some games. That also explain why turning Vsync on negates it as it is limiting your FPS to the refreshrate of your monitor

In Game & In Menu. Limiting my FPS to to my Monitor Refresh Rate (165HZ) seems to make the noise disappear.

36 minutes ago, Broski said:

The noise is probably power circuits and the core on the gpu. You can try setting an fps limit, tone probably changes with fps. That could make it less apparent. It might be louder than stock if the card is boosting farther, you could try less voltage and clocks to test too.  

Haven't tried underclock or messed with the voltage yet. Im curious to know whether giving the Card Extra Volts i.e. the AMD Radeon Software 50+ Power consumption limiter might remove the issue? Testing still underway.

1 hour ago, SamtheMan101 said:

I thought Coil Whine is removed once moving / spinning parts is eliminated. Was definitely not prepared for this type of noise.

No, the coils are soldered onto the card,  it has literally nothing to do with the fans...

Btw in theory it can be fixed with special silicone glue... but i would not recommend it,  its merely a theory and you'd *really* need to do this on your own risk... or find someone who does it for you.

Btw, also in theory,  by "custom looping" your gpu it now should be able to clock much higher thus making any coilwhine worse,  higher frequencies,  higher fps = more , higher pitched coilwhine. 

The "cure" to that is also simple,  just limit the framerate to 60fps, typically coilwhine is much less or goes away completely at 60fps, but theres guarantee for that either,  easy to test however. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, SamtheMan101 said:

Alot of people think so .as the fan noise cover  coil whine totally but once you take out the fan noise it's more clear however don't let that annoy you . Basically u would get coil whine in potato games (esport) or menu's and in reality if you got volume on u would barely hear them at all . The solution is u would be in the menu for less than a min and fps cap potato games to 250- 300 fps and u would get zero coil whine.  Alot of new titles also automatically cap their menu fps to 60 . 

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

No, the coils are soldered onto the card,  it has literally nothing to do with the fans...

Btw in theory it can be fixed with special silicone glue... but i would not recommend it,  its merely a theory and you'd *really* need to do this on your own risk... or find someone who does it for you.

Btw, also in theory,  by "custom looping" your gpu it now should be able to clock much higher thus making any coilwhine worse,  higher frequencies,  higher fps = more , higher pitched coilwhine. 

The "cure" to that is also simple,  just limit the framerate to 60fps, typically coilwhine is much less or goes away completely at 60fps, but theres guarantee for that either,  easy to test however. 

Thank you for explaining, really insightful info. I had assumed coil whine was associated with the fan, but im wrong. I haven't touched any Overclock settings so its just at its base clock. Ive started to limit framerate to my monitor refresh rate, being 165hz.

7 hours ago, SamtheMan101 said:

Thank you for explaining, really insightful info. I had assumed coil whine was associated with the fan, but im wrong. I haven't touched any Overclock settings so its just at its base clock. Ive started to limit framerate to my monitor refresh rate, being 165hz.

I guess u would be fine till 250 -300

13 hours ago, SamtheMan101 said:

Im curious to know whether giving the Card Extra Volts i.e. the AMD Radeon Software 50+ Power consumption limiter might remove the issue?

Definitely, on some cards, just adding +10mhz to the core can double coil whine on some cards. *Cough* gigabyte 

Also, no fan noise to cover the coil noise so it might just seem louder.