Steam Deck was delayed, so I got this

Steam Deck has been making waves, but now that it’s delayed, could the Android-powered GPD XP be the best gaming handheld to hold you over through the holidays?

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

Does the device come with all modules mentioned in the video? didnt catch that info in the video

🥦🥦

I'm confused at what market? for who?

if there are lower/cheaper options, then go for that? the UI tools seems like a cool additional thing.

Also that it wants you to use phone controls in some of it's design choices? why?

if the phone gaming market was a lot better, then maybe, and using better control/gameplay designs.

23 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

if there are lower/cheaper options, then go for that? the UI tools seems like a cool additional thing.

Also that it wants you to use phone controls in some of it's design choices? why?

if the phone gaming market was a lot better, then maybe, and using better control/gameplay designs.

The Steam Deck is a handhelm  device for PC Games using Linux...

28 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

I think its mostly towards people like me. (I don't plan on getting one)

Travel a lot for work, but likes to play games. Doesn't like carrying around a laptop. I carry a Switch around, but only for a few games. I'd have more games if save games were cross compatible, but the Nintendo game lineup is trash. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

7 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

The Steam Deck is a handhelm  device for PC Games using Linux...

this is not about the steam deck. and the video wasn't about the steam deck. Just another device instead of the steam deck for gaming

4 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

I think its mostly towards people like me. (I don't plan on getting one)

Travel a lot for work, but likes to play games. Doesn't like carrying around a laptop. I carry a Switch around, but only for a few games. I'd have more games if save games were cross compatible, but the Nintendo game lineup is trash. 

yeah, but for this one. the switch just seems like a better choice overall, unless one was streaming which doesn't count. Like you say, nintendo is a bit backwards when it comes to modern network solutions. When trying someone elses nintendo to deal with networking issues or saving or whatever else around it, was such a pain and not fun. At least their games and library holds up to a degree, like seen with people caring about wanting the OLED version even if they wanted an upgraded one.

Just now, Quackers101 said:

this is not about the steam deck. and the video wasn't about the steam deck. Just another device instead of the steam deck for gaming

Sorry, I read your question as the whole market segment that the Steam Deck, and this product, are in.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

on the topic of steam deck.

From Steamworks Development.

Spoiler

They are going to update the current controller configuration tools for all of steam, not one UI vs another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NG_Uus8HIA

Also steam themselves go over the proton layer.

https://youtu.be/EosEZqf9IA8

proton, and shader pre-pre-caching by servers? if there are any problems or for processing and target vulkan games for best performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF_AY--EEJc

and hardware to some overview of what the boot times over different hardware configs, in a different video.

9 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Isn't the Steam Deck around the same size?

this is more of a lighter android device, but when does android and PC clash? dunno, when more and more effort is to make android apps onto the PC like in windows 11 and so on. steam deck is maybe 50% bigger or something, some in size, some in weight. not sure if they fixed the button on the side grip since the LTT first experience with it.

in short, steam deck is a inbetween of handheld and an laptop a bit like other handhelds like neo or the other GPD devices. While devices like this, is inbetween your phone and a handheld. When you got better handheld solutions, it's just not for me.

5 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

this is more of a lighter android device, but when does android and PC clash? dunno, when more and more effort is to make android apps onto the PC like in windows 11 and so on. steam deck is maybe 50% bigger or something, some in size, some in weight. not sure if they fixed the button on the side grip since the LTT first experience with it.

in short, steam deck is a inbetween of handheld and an laptop a bit like other handhelds like neo or the other GPD devices. While devices like this, is inbetween your phone and a handheld. When you got better handheld solutions, it's just not for me.

Does the Deck have a slide out keyboard?

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

Does the Deck have a slide out keyboard?

one could likely make an accessory for it (quality would maybe be poor). else it's inbuilt screen keyboard. Which they say, is going with some improvements.

5 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

one could likely make an accessory for it (quality would maybe be poor). else it's inbuilt screen keyboard. Which they say, is going with some improvements.

I rather have the Slide out one.

I’ll watch the video but I’ve been wondering about a portable Gamepass client. But this has to be a lot better than say a Razer thing to attach to my iPhone (or my other smartphone with Android at least, or my hacked Vita)

@GabenJr

In case you didn't know, GPD wrote following reply in their social media account back in August:

我个人是严于律己,而且我可以明确地说,网上只要有盗版游戏可下,那我就不会去买正版,但是我可没说这是优势,我从来都认为能找到盗版并且能下载到并且还能玩上盗版游戏那你就超越99%的人了,你认为描述一个现象就是显摆谁优谁劣吗?

Translation:

I am self-disciplined, and I can say with confidence, if the internet provide pirated games, I will never buy a legal copy, but I'm not saying this is an advantage. I have always believed if you can find a pirated game, download it, play the pirated game, then you are better than 99% of the population. You think describing a phenomenon is showing off who is better and who is not?

In the following articles GPD never corrected themselves, but instead attacked Steam Deck further. This screenshot also shows their support for pirated games, suggesting Steam Deck will always have anti-piracy methods, so you don't have any chance to play pirated games on Steam hardwares.

1.thumb.jpeg.85bc569e259d6e4cd58911993660fefc.jpeg

Now seeing their astonishing statements, you would understand why GPD has a horrible reputation even in their home market China.

@GabenJr

Sorry I can no longer find the screenshot for that particular quote. I remember that was a reply to one of the users questioning why they appear to support piracy.

But I did find these.

211209050947621.png.bff6ee62529e84dd5b66e471a14b0f7d.png

Translation:

torrocat: GPD pre-installed windows system, can this be understood as GPD supports piracy?

GPD: It can be understood this way, anyway the Windows eco-system is always like this worldwide.

211209051231899.png.2ec3bafcef54f8bc3543f752adee8258.png

Translation:

GPD: If you want to play pirated games, you have to come back to Windows system.