Which should I buy?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which phone?

• iPhone 13 (128GB) $870
    • iPhone 12 (64GB) $770
    • Google Pixel 6 (128GB) $795
    • OIther

It seems like every forum post I make now is about helping me pick upgrades 😛 

I'm in the market for a new phone. I currently use a Xiaomi Mi 9T (clone of the OnePlus 7 Pro) and previously used a Samsung Note 8 and various OnePlus phones before that. I have never owned an iPhone before and am not invested in the Apple ecosystem at all. I am pretty invested in the google ecosystem (Google Photos, Chrome, Drive, Keep Notes, Home, etc). 

The phones are about the same price (pricing located in the polls - converted from local pricing here). It seems to me like the Pixel 6 may be the better option for me because of my investment in the Google ecosystem and over a decade of Android usage, but:

1. Locally, Apple Pay is available, but Google Pay does not exist. Apple Pay would be really nice to use and there is no sign of Google Pay coming anytime soon.

2. The Pixel 6 is an import and does not sell in my local market, meaning that finding accessories/cases would be impossible and I'd have to ship these from overseas.

3. My Partner uses an iPhone 13, so it would be easier to invest in the MagSafe/Lighting chargers etc as we'd both benefit.

4. It seems the Pixel 6 does have some teething issues regarding the fingerprint sensor etc.

Would that be enough to sway you to an iPhone 13 (or iPhone 12?) or should I go for the Pixel 6?

Alternatively, are there any other phones in a similar price range that I should consider? Samsung Pay is available here, so should I consider a Samsung device?

Please Help 

• NCASE M1 • i5-9600k • GTX 1080 FE • Z370N-WIFI • SF600 • NH-U9S • LPX 32GB • 960EVO •

I'm a self-identifying Corsair & Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Reason?

Current phone is 2 years old and the back glass is completely shattered and held together with tape. 

• NCASE M1 • i5-9600k • GTX 1080 FE • Z370N-WIFI • SF600 • NH-U9S • LPX 32GB • 960EVO •

I'm a self-identifying Corsair & Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

3 hours ago, ImBleu said:

The phones are about the same price (pricing located in the polls - converted from local pricing here). It seems to me like the Pixel 6 may be the better option for me because of my investment in the Google ecosystem and over a decade of Android usage, but:

1. Locally, Apple Pay is available, but Google Pay does not exist. Apple Pay would be really nice to use and there is no sign of Google Pay coming anytime soon.

2. The Pixel 6 is an import and does not sell in my local market, meaning that finding accessories/cases would be impossible and I'd have to ship these from overseas.

3. My Partner uses an iPhone 13, so it would be easier to invest in the MagSafe/Lighting chargers etc as we'd both benefit.

4. It seems the Pixel 6 does have some teething issues regarding the fingerprint sensor etc.

Would that be enough to sway you to an iPhone 13 (or iPhone 12?) or should I go for the Pixel 6?

Reading that, iPhone 13. And i say this as someone, who used Android phones only since 2010, and recently switched to iPhone 13 pro Max.

Yes, Android does some things much better than iOS, especially Oneplus (not a big fan of Google's vanilla android).

But having Apple pay vs. not having google pay. Having to import the Pixel 6, giving you problems with returning or repair, and much less accessories.

Your Partner has an iPhone too, so communication together will be SO much better and easier. Also, sharing files. Having shared iCloud+, shared iCloud folders or photoalbums.

Chose the device, that will make your "everyday life" easier.

But it also depends, if you prefer a big, huge phone (Pixel) or a smaller, compact one (iPhone 13).

That "ceramic shield"-glas from iPhones seems to be protected better against shatter, but seems to get microscratches more easily (it's physically not possible to have both. The harder a material is, the easier it will scratch. A pure Diamond screen will never scratch, but will shatter very fast). So a H9 screen protector might be a good idea.

And a Case is always a good idea for anyone, who ever dropped a phone 😛

The 128GB is probably the reason to take the 13 over 12. Unified chargers and Apple Pay is enough for me personally to say iPhone. Since my wife moved to apple it’s been so easy just to take one charger than take 2 of everything. Plus you can use iMessage and we have the Apple One family subscription and we get 200GB of iCloud storage, music, TV and arcade for £20 a month  which goes up to 5 people.

Maybe consider the 13 mini too the form factor is quite nice. 

Take the iPhone 13.

The Pixel 6 is a great phone but not having local warranty and missing Google Pay whilst Apple Pay works in your country is enough of a reason to pick the iPhone. The only bummer with the iPhone 13 over the Pixel 6 is that it doesn't have a display that refreshes over 60Hz, but given that my experience with my iPhone 13 Pro (which, admittedly, has the 120Hz VRR display, but putting it in power saving forces maximum refresh to 60Hz), iOS does still maintain a fair amount of fluidity and smoothness even when pegged to 60Hz. The Pixel is probably the smoothest Android experience you'll ever get, but it does hitch every now and then.

With all that said and done, just having local warranty and support alone is enough to pick the iPhone over the Pixel, but you should also ask yourself if switching to iOS is feasible, given that you're coming from a good stint on Android. For me (and another guy above), who has been using Android for over a decade, switching to iOS was largely painless, but it might differ for you.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 11/27/2021 at 5:22 AM, ImBleu said:

It seems like every forum post I make now is about helping me pick upgrades 😛 

I'm in the market for a new phone. I currently use a Xiaomi Mi 9T (clone of the OnePlus 7 Pro) and previously used a Samsung Note 8 and various OnePlus phones before that. I have never owned an iPhone before and am not invested in the Apple ecosystem at all. I am pretty invested in the google ecosystem (Google Photos, Chrome, Drive, Keep Notes, Home, etc). 

Alternatively, are there any other phones in a similar price range that I should consider? Samsung Pay is available here, so should I consider a Samsung device?

Please Help 

Gonna echo recommendations and suggest the iPhone 13.

Heavy investment in Google does lend itself to Android phones, but like you said... the Pixel 6 would be a nightmare to maintain if it's not officially available. All the apps you use are available for iPhones and generally work as you'd expect; there are just a couple of notes. Chrome has to use WebKit rather than Google's own rendering engine (not really a problem in practice), and apps like Google Photos don't do as much in the background.

You'll like Apple Pay. You may have to deal with the spending limits you often see for tap-to-pay (here in Canada it's $100), but it's so nice to not have to bring out your wallet if you already have your phone or watch handy. Mask use might make this more complicated as you might have to punch in your passcode.

Battery life on the iPhone 13 is a bit better than for the Pixel 6, at least from what I've seen, but the big advantage for you may simply be harmonizing with your wife's iPhone. You can easily AirDrop files to her, iMessage her, and otherwise participate in her digital life.

If not an iPhone 13... well, I'd only spring for Samsung now if you can get a particularly good deal, since the S21 is likely just 2-3 months away from being replaced. Still a good overall phone, but the iPhone 13 should take better pictures and run faster.