Motherboard with case incompatibility

ChillingTree
Go to solution Solved by KKLawrence,

So, unless you want a complete OC'ed build with custom watercooling, both of these parts are overkill. For almost any budget. Rather aim for the Z690 Aorus Elite (it's just ATX) and a 5000D or 4000D Airflow, these will have similar aesthetics and functions with a way lower price.

If you want to badly keep the components you selected, which I would advise against doing so, then you can just buy them together. If you check out the Manual on the 7000D, you clearly see that an E-ATX Board fits with lots of room, because its a gianormus case.

image.thumb.png.76520837789fe705fbcab1bd6de5f37f.png

Hey guys,

After building my last pc 7 years ago, I'm looking into building a new one from scratch again. I have been playing around with different setups on pcpartpicker, and I encountered an issue here. After selecting the `Gigabyte Z690 AORUS MASTER EATX LGA1700 Motherboard`, it doesn't allow me to select the `Corsair 7000D AIRFLOW ATX Full Tower Case`, because of incompatibility. Cases like 4000D and 5000D still show up in the picker as available options. The error message given is `Warning!Gigabyte Z690 AORUS MASTER EATX LGA1700 Motherboard and Corsair 7000D AIRFLOW ATX Full Tower Case are not compatible.`. I've been looking for a while, but I can't figure out why these would be incompatible. Does anyone here know why this build doesn't work, or is this a false alarm by pcpartpicker? Reproduction list with error here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/krwjPV

The motherboard you picked is an EATX where the case supports ATX. EATX is larger than ATX so it makes sense that is displayed as not compatible.  I also can't add the other cases to the PC builder if I have the motherboard already in the list so those are probably also not compatible. Not sure why it did work for you, I wouldn't blindly trust pc part picker anyway, just use it as a starting point but verify for yourself as well that things do work together. 

Btw depending on your budget and what you are looking for that case is a tad overkill for most builds. But like I said if your budget allows it that doesn't matter, I just mention it as I often have seen people overspending on certain components that don't affect the performance and then saving costs on components that do. 

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.

Corsair seems to be a bit unsure of mentioning "E-ATX", but they do mention it in the manual.

The TL;DR is that E-ATX isn't a standard. That means one E-ATX case/board can wildly vary from the other.

See this video for more detail:

Spoiler

Looking at the GamesNexus review, it seems the case is wide enough for an 'E-ATX' motherboard, but it doesn't have the extra stand-offs on the side though:

(timestamp set at 12:23).

So in conclusion: E-ATX isn't a standard, so PCPartPicker errs on the side of caution by saying an 'E-ATX' motherboard wouldn't fit in the case.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

So, unless you want a complete OC'ed build with custom watercooling, both of these parts are overkill. For almost any budget. Rather aim for the Z690 Aorus Elite (it's just ATX) and a 5000D or 4000D Airflow, these will have similar aesthetics and functions with a way lower price.

If you want to badly keep the components you selected, which I would advise against doing so, then you can just buy them together. If you check out the Manual on the 7000D, you clearly see that an E-ATX Board fits with lots of room, because its a gianormus case.

image.thumb.png.76520837789fe705fbcab1bd6de5f37f.png

Thanks for the very useful replies!

I'm aware the case is on the large side, but so was my previous one, and I enjoy the aesthetics of a case this size

Haven't decided completely on the motherboard yet, I did see that the 7000D has 2 USB connectors with 2 ports each, and the z690 aorus elite only has one of those connectors, so I would presumably only be able to use 2 of the 4 usb ports in the front. Would this be an issue for me? Extremely likely not, but it just feels like an annoying small unfinished thing lol. Probably not worth spending a bunch on a larger motherboard for just this

18 hours ago, ChillingTree said:

Thanks for the very useful replies!

I'm aware the case is on the large side, but so was my previous one, and I enjoy the aesthetics of a case this size

Haven't decided completely on the motherboard yet, I did see that the 7000D has 2 USB connectors with 2 ports each, and the z690 aorus elite only has one of those connectors, so I would presumably only be able to use 2 of the 4 usb ports in the front. Would this be an issue for me? Extremely likely not, but it just feels like an annoying small unfinished thing lol. Probably not worth spending a bunch on a larger motherboard for just this

For something like that, you could just use an add in PCIe card. If its really that annoying, there should be something like that on the market.

Otherwise good choice!