Super RAID 2 MSI 1500 MB/s

I found this on MSI's Facebook page:

"Super RAID returns in our next gen G Series notebooks, upping the ante with triple SSD's and delivering over 1500 MB/s of speed.

What would be the first thing you would install on this extreme config?
"
942589_10151889838698084_211612713_n.png

936265_10151481988328073_844691056_n.png

Apparently they compare storage configurations with vehicles. Finally we have plane speed inside our computer!! :D

The question is, will this only be available on the new Z87 platform, or will there be a bios update for older MSI boards, or even a software solution in Windows?

It looks like you need at least 3 ssds just to add up the write speeds, which you can then configure as a Super RAID 2, but what could be the advantages over 3 ssds just in a normal RAID 0 ?

What do you think?

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

I have two SSD's in RAID. What vehicle would that be?

I have a boot train and a game/application train, a bicycle and two foot walkers.

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

It's just normal RAID. 

Take 3 SSDs that can each do 500Mb/s. 
Put them in Raid 0

You get a 1500Mb/s speed. 

MSI always tries to advertise these "special features" which are not that special. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

I have a boot train and a game/application train, a bicycle and two foot walkers.

Had a good chuckle.

| NZXT Phantom | i5-2500k @4Ghz | H60 | EVGA GTX 680 Sig2 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance | 

It's just normal RAID. 

Put them in Raid 0

MSI always tries to advertise these "special features" which are not that special. 

I see I see

I didn't know you can three-way RAID 0

would RAID cards have better speeds than a motherboard, or do they just offer more RAID types?

Geez, can't they just call it what it is. I hate marketing terms with a passion.

Raid 0 would be a small plane like a Cessna 

Then what is Linus' crazy 8x RAID0? SR-71 Blackbird? 

I see I see

would RAID cards have better speeds than a motherboard, or do they just offer more RAID types?

I'm no expert but I believe using RAID 0 it wouldn't make much difference using onboard controllers unless you have more drives than you have SATA III ports or more cards than can fit on a single controller anyway.

Using RAID 10, RAID 5 or especially RAID 6, a RAID card is recommended, in some cases necessary for achieving decent performance.

I see I see

Yeah you can do 3 way RAID 0, I think Linus has a 8 way SSD Raid 0 config in his computer!

I don't think you will be limited by the motherboard's speed. in RAID configs, on motherboards, the number of SATA connections is usually the reason why people get RAID cards. Just make sure your motherboard has enough ports(Sata 3 for SSDs) and you should be OK.

Just make sure the ports are from the same controller. I am pretty sure you cannot RAID from different controllers. EX. 2 drives running from the intel chipset and 1 from a Marvell add on chipset. 

But someone correct me if I am wrong.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

It's just normal RAID. 

Put them in Raid 0

That's definitely a theoretical not practical speed... it's like saying two GPUs will give you exactly double the performance, but this is marketing, so the more impressive figures are the only ones shown :lol:.

That's definitely a theoretical not practical speed... it's like saying two GPUs will give you exactly double the performance, but this is marketing, so the more impressive figures are the only ones shown :lol:.

Can't really blame them. Theoretical figures are the only ones that are stable. Because everyopne uses their computers for different things and in different ways "your mileage may vary" to such an extreme that real world figures aren't really something you can predict. The closest they could get is providing synthetic benchmarks which would only confuse most consumers.

And who wants to spend their days explaining why random reads and writes are different than sustained read and writes and why those numbers change when the file size changes?

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-