GTX 3090 Cables stuck

Go to solution Solved by d1mens1oN,

Removed the thermal pads as suggested, put the heatsinks directly on top of the backplate. Temps dropped another 3C to 86C. 

The room also has another 2 PC's so I've also started a fan which pushes the air out of the room and opened the window. Will update on those results as well if I see any difference

2.jpg

Hello, 

I have a Gigabyte 3090 and I am trying to change the thermal pads on it. I looked at several teardowns and it seemed pretty easy to work on it. Once I opened it, the cables on the inside just wont come off, i have used so much force that if i put any more, it'll just break off the card. Am i doing something wrong ? Is there a clip that I need to press and pull ? I have been at it for 4 days now and nothing seems to be working. I have attached photos of the connector to give more context.

Is there any non conductive liquid that i can use to make it come off ? I'm just so confused.

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, if I'm wrong please guide me towards it. 

Thanks for any feedback.

IMG-4335.jpg

IMG-4333.jpg

Have you tried using anything to push these tabs in? Small screwdriver, fingernail etc. It looks like they're holding it in maybe.

image.png.4fc46cf927236c8fa549c1d20407f0d5.png

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Similar connector is  on the other side as well with 2 cables connected to the board. From what I've read, the two cables are for the fans and the 1 in the picture is for the rgb.

Just now, IkeaGnome said:

Have you tried using anything to push these tabs in? Small screwdriver, fingernail etc. It looks like they're holding it in maybe.

Let me give it a shot

4 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Didn't work 😞

Have you tried to use tweezers to hold down the female end (that's on the PCB) while using pliers or a really strong grip to pull on the connector?

Edited by CommanderAlex
Typo

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

22 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Have you tried to use tweezers to hold down the female end (that's on the PCB) while using plies or a really strong grip to pull on the connector?

Didn't work 😞

Tried heating the connector up with a hair dryer?

My only other suggestion would be to use a pick tool to pry between the connector and socket, but you'll need to place something between the pick and board so that when you rotate the pick to lift the connector you do not push into the board. Also you may need to grind and shape the pick end to be short enough and flat enough to get into there and between them. I've got a couple tools like that at work for cars that are other tools ground to a shape for one specific use. If you can get the pick to work, it'll be pushing the two stuck things apart instead of pulling on the board.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried heating with the hair dryer but that didnt help either so i went with another approach.

I changed the thermal pads and the thermal paste on 1 side with the cables attached by keeping the GPU sideways. while doing that i also took note of where the thermal pads on the other side were placed. I ordered some small heatsinks and put thermal pads on the outside of the GPU with heatsinks on top of them, and was able to get the temps down to 89C from 108C. seems like an decent temp drop. IMG_4362.thumb.jpg.c49342e98b5b78b7c37c4f1470faf9dc.jpg

So on that back side you might try thermal adhesive tape instead of really thick pads, it'll transfer heat a lot better because the tape is very thin. The less between the hot thing and the heat sink the better.

15 hours ago, Bitter said:

So on that back side you might try thermal adhesive tape instead of really thick pads, it'll transfer heat a lot better because the tape is very thin. The less between the hot thing and the heat sink the better.

I'll give that a try and see if it makes a difference ! Thanks 

11 minutes ago, d1mens1oN said:

I'll give that a try and see if it makes a difference ! Thanks 

Be sure to post back and let us know. Some people have gotten some wacky and stuck low profile heat pipe CPU coolers to the back plate even.

Removed the thermal pads as suggested, put the heatsinks directly on top of the backplate. Temps dropped another 3C to 86C. 

The room also has another 2 PC's so I've also started a fan which pushes the air out of the room and opened the window. Will update on those results as well if I see any difference

2.jpg

On 12/5/2021 at 7:57 PM, Bitter said:

Get some airflow on those heatsinks?

That's the plan but but ill probably delay that, till I get some time. what would you recommend? A case fan or something else?

My plan for now was to not put on the side panel and put a dust filter instead and aim a table fan at it.

Edited by d1mens1oN

Case fan would be fine, a 120 or 90. Probably need to make some kind of bracket to hang it off the rear fan or something. You can use hardware store 90 degree steel brackets for wood and case fan screws to mount the fan to the rear fan. I'm on mobile, I'll try to find an example tonight if you need it.

19 hours ago, d1mens1oN said:

That's the plan but but ill probably delay that, till I get some time. what would you recommend? A case fan or something else?

My plan for now was to not put on the side panel and put a dust filter instead and aim a table fan at it.

US $28.00 | Pure  Copper GPU Backplane Radiator For RTX 3090 3080 3070 Graphics Card Backplate Memory VRAM Heatsink Auxiliary Cooling Fan https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPgkHSe

US $22.95  38%OFF | For RTX 3090 Radiator GPU Backplate Radiator Memory Cooler Aluminum Panel + Dual PWM Fan VRAM Heatsink Graphics Card Backplane https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtw2PdU

A few options, the 2nd one cam come with a decent thermal pad but ends up at $50 but also looks nicer and probably performs pretty well.

I'm sure you can find more and probably better deals than my quick glance.