Trouble upgrading OS Drive to new larger one on Windows 11.

Jocolito

Hi, I just bought a new Samsung 980 500GB M.2 PCIe SSD to replace my current Kingston 240GB SSD (OS drive) as it is running out of space. I tried to clone my data to the new M.2 SSD using Samsung Data Migration Software as it is, for what I read online, advisable to use for any Samsung SSD. Unfortunately it failed, getting stuck at 99% and then stopping with the error “Data migration has stopped for unknown reasons”. This is what I could find about this error in Samsung's documentation:

5. Turn off BitLocker, a Windows security program.

→ Check whether BitLocker is turned on in the following cases:

→ The process is stuck at 0%

→ The “Data migration has stopped for unknown reasons” error message appears.

* BitLocker is turned on automatically in the following cases:

. The operating system is Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10. (It may not be available on some Windows editions.)

b. TPM is enabled (i.e., the TPM option in the BIOS is on).

c. UEFI Secure Boot is enabled (i.e., the TPM option in the BIOS is on).

d. You have signed in with a Microsoft account.

I'm running Windows 11 Home meaning that I don't even have BitLocker, so I supose this problem is being caused by Secure Boot and TPM being enabled. I updated to Win11 a few weeks ago and as you may imagine I had to convert my drive from MBR to GPT, turn on Secure Boot and TPM in order to run the OS but I didn't know it would cause so much problem for something like upgrading the system drive. I'm not an expert in this matter and I couldn't find any helpful information online, or tools that could do the job without paying extra money, so I want to ask:

What would be the correct way of upgrading my system drive when Secure Boot and TPM is enabled?

Would anything happen to my system if I disable SB and TPM in order to use Samsung Data Migration software to clone my drive?

Will the cloning process even work if I disable these options?.

I would be very thankful if anyone can help me with this as I've been struggling with this for 2 days, also let me know if there's already a discussion about this matter in the forum or if you need more information about my PC. Thank you in advance.

Edited by Jocolito
Fixing text structure a bit

Wait for a version that supports windows 11.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

• 2 months later...
On 11/16/2021 at 10:05 AM, Jocolito said:

Hi, I just bought a new Samsung 980 500GB M.2 PCIe SSD to replace my current Kingston 240GB SSD (OS drive) as it is running out of space. I tried to clone my data to the new M.2 SSD using Samsung Data Migration Software as it is, for what I read online, advisable to use for any Samsung SSD. Unfortunately it failed, getting stuck at 99% and then stopping with the error “Data migration has stopped for unknown reasons”. This is what I could find about this error in Samsung's documentation:

5. Turn off BitLocker, a Windows security program.

→ Check whether BitLocker is turned on in the following cases:

→ The process is stuck at 0%

→ The “Data migration has stopped for unknown reasons” error message appears.

* BitLocker is turned on automatically in the following cases:

. The operating system is Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10. (It may not be available on some Windows editions.)

b. TPM is enabled (i.e., the TPM option in the BIOS is on).

c. UEFI Secure Boot is enabled (i.e., the TPM option in the BIOS is on).

d. You have signed in with a Microsoft account.

I'm running Windows 11 Home meaning that I don't even have BitLocker, so I supose this problem is being caused by Secure Boot and TPM being enabled. I updated to Win11 a few weeks ago and as you may imagine I had to convert my drive from MBR to GPT, turn on Secure Boot and TPM in order to run the OS but I didn't know it would cause so much problem for something like upgrading the system drive. I'm not an expert in this matter and I couldn't find any helpful information online, or tools that could do the job without paying extra money, so I want to ask:

What would be the correct way of upgrading my system drive when Secure Boot and TPM is enabled?

Would anything happen to my system if I disable SB and TPM in order to use Samsung Data Migration software to clone my drive?

Will the cloning process even work if I disable these options?.

I would be very thankful if anyone can help me with this as I've been struggling with this for 2 days, also let me know if there's already a discussion about this matter in the forum or if you need more information about my PC. Thank you in advance.

Did you end up trying to disable them?

If so did it work?