Davinci Resolve

da na
2 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Looking into Davinci Resolve 17, moving from Movavi Video Editor 15 which I've used since 2019. 

Is it worth the Studio version? Seeing as my current basic video editor is enough, I assume the free one is fine.

Thanks!

Free one is fine unless you really need the locked features. 

Just try it out, and if you find a feature you want but don't have then consider it

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Could be wrong, but last I was looking into it, the difference between the free and paid versions of Resolve are just that the paid version gets support and the free one doesn't. I'd use the free version, and if I happen to be wrong and there's a feature that's locked out, then consider getting the paid version. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Could be wrong, but last I was looking into it, the difference between the free and paid versions of Resolve are just that the paid version gets support and the free one doesn't. I'd use the free version, and if I happen to be wrong and there's a feature that's locked out, then consider getting the paid version. 

There are some features differences too, like:

Hardware encoding and decoding of video

>uhd/2160p video support

multi gpu support.

Some effects are studio only, like the openfx

DCP exports

Multi workstations

Supersampling video

Noise reduction

The free version is still pretty powerfull though, id give it a shot, normally it tells you if you can't use a features cause your on the free version.

I used it last year for a while, It has a lot of features in the free version. 
I switched over to Hitfilm Express for less intensive projects but I have found myself going back to DR every now and then.

Junk Yard Dog Build

I7 -10700K
MSI Z490 MPG Gaming Plus

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb (4x8gb) DDR4 (3200 MHz)

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC Pro

Corsair H115i Platinum AIO

EVGA 750 GQ

In a Cyberpower PC X-Titan case

The free version works loyally for me and still has lots left for me to learn. You really only need the paid version if you want GPU acceleration that badly

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

6 minutes ago, Silentprototipe said:

The free version works loyally for me and still has lots left for me to learn. You really only need the paid version if you want GPU acceleration that badly

So does the normal one just use CPU? I'd like to take advantage of my 32 threads more than my GTX 980.

Free one is fine and all, and can get you to where you need to go. The studio version is if you want to do more stuff, like use the software's video noise suppression, GPU acceleration and accept more formats I believe?

There should be more info on YT between the differences, but yeah, generally the free version is fine for most people.

<-- Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites -->

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

6 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

So does the normal one just use CPU? I'd like to take advantage of my 32 threads more than my GTX 980.

Not sure about dual CPU's, Does use my 16 threads very well tho

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

8 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

There are some features differences too, like:

Hardware encoding and decoding of video

>uhd/2160p video support

multi gpu support.

Some effects are studio only, like the openfx

DCP exports

Multi workstations

Supersampling video

Noise reduction

The free version is still pretty powerfull though, id give it a shot, normally it tells you if you can't use a features cause your on the free version.

Free version do have noise reduction but not all the features of the paid version. So it's easier to remove noise with the paid one because you have more options to do so and you can also improve grainier videos than the free version.

Okay I'll admit my data in memory (gray matter) is at least a few years old, but I thought even the free version of Resolve supported GPU acceleration?  (I think it was with only 1 GPU though, to use multiple GPUs you'd need the paid "Studio" version afaik....)  Or has that changed?  Also I thought the free version supported 2160p (or at least 3840x2160, not sure about 4096x2160)....

23 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Okay I'll admit my data in memory (gray matter) is at least a few years old, but I thought even the free version of Resolve supported GPU acceleration?  (I think it was with only 1 GPU though, to use multiple GPUs you'd need the paid "Studio" version afaik....)  Or has that changed?  Also I thought the free version supported 2160p (or at least 3840x2160, not sure about 4096x2160)....

Long time since I actually used it because tons of hobbies,
but dont know about the GPU part, but yes you can defiantly do 3840x2160 import and export in the free version, I did it in Resolve 15/16 or whatever it was. HDR requires paid version but not many need that, at least not yet, unless you are a professional.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking