Worried about Humidity, got a Dehumidifier

gsanchez45

Just finished my pc build and got a hygrometer, it show my humidity levels in my basement are currently around 53% rh with a dehumidifier running  (not in close proximity). my question is can a dehumidifier cause damage to a pc if it is too close.
I do know that keeping the area at a minimum of 30% rh reduces static and keeping the area below 55% rh is best to avoid condensation but I’m worried that having the dehumidifier too close to my build may cause issues with heat dissipation from the dehumidifier.

Depends on where the heat is venting from your dehumidifier.  Worst case, you can try ducting the dehumidifier exhaust away from your pc's intakes.

Have the dehumitifier anywhere in the room, and some air circulation will be fine.

Even a small desk fan blowing will move more than enoough air to spread out the humidity.

the humidity in my room is about 80% (habit of growing up in the tropics) and I have been fine, once its not condensing you should be fine or any mists from the humidifier that could leave droplets on the pc, then you should be okay.

I did have a Tv fail once from high humidity but after years of use in a studio apartment that when the stove was working the humidity raised quite quickly (>90%) and condensed

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

4 hours ago, gsanchez45 said:

Just finished my pc build and got a hygrometer, it show my humidity levels in my basement are currently around 53% rh with a humidifier running  (not in close proximity). my question is can a dehumidifier cause damage to a pc if it is too close.
I do know that keeping the area at a minimum of 30% rh reduces static and keeping the area below 55% rh is best to avoid condensation but I’m worried that having the dehumidifier too close to my build may cause issues with heat dissipation from the dehumidifier.

Why would you use a humidifier and a dehumidifier at the same time? Choose one. 

Are you using a humidifier, or a de-humidifier? Big difference. Actually they are the opposite. 

And chances are, neither is necessary.

Computers are robust. The odd humidity requirements were carried over from paper-card computers since paper can jam when it expands with moisture. Many large server farms just cool with outside air without treatment except filtration. My car has dozens of computers and lives outside all year long. Any indoor conditions that are somewhat made for humans are fine for electronics. Same for the phone you carry with you under all conditions 24/7. 

Look at psychrometric charts and thermodynamics books before deciding if you need to humidify or de-humidify. Most people don't understand humidity and just think they need to do something. And the RH value is meaningless without the drybulb temperature (or dew point or we bulb temperature). You always need to values and from those you can derive the other values.

A de-humidifier (with refrigeration cycle) will generate heat from 100% of the electricity that goes in. So an enclosed space would heat up over time and diminish PC cooling. But really, if you as a human still can stand it, it should be fine for a good PC. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

Actually between 40and60% humidity is recommended for humans... its not expected that this damages a pc in any way (unless there is also a lot of salt in the air) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2021 at 3:43 PM, Blue4130 said:

Why would you use a humidifier and a dehumidifier at the same time? Choose one. 

Just realized I meant to say dehumidifier sorry about that

On 11/9/2021 at 1:11 PM, Lurking said:

Are you using a humidifier, or a de-humidifier? Big difference. Actually they are the opposite. 

And chances are, neither is necessary.

Computers are robust. The odd humidity requirements were carried over from paper-card computers since paper can jam when it expands with moisture. Many large server farms just cool with outside air without treatment except filtration. My car has dozens of computers and lives outside all year long. Any indoor conditions that are somewhat made for humans are fine for electronics. Same for the phone you carry with you under all conditions 24/7. 

Look at psychrometric charts and thermodynamics books before deciding if you need to humidify or de-humidify. Most people don't understand humidity and just think they need to do something. And the RH value is meaningless without the drybulb temperature (or dew point or we bulb temperature). You always need to values and from those you can derive the other values.

A de-humidifier (with refrigeration cycle) will generate heat from 100% of the electricity that goes in. So an enclosed space would heat up over time and diminish PC cooling. But really, if you as a human still can stand it, it should be fine for a good PC. 

Yeah sorry about I just corrected my mistake I meant to say dehumidifier in both places

Man… I wish I could have 50% humidity in my place at this time of year.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20