Medical Bracelets how are they used?

whm1974

I was wondering how the Medical Bracelets are used by FR/ER Personals, are they read from? More to the Point, what would happen if a person was wearing someone else's Bracelet? Perhaps they found it on the ground or something?

I know a young women, close to 30, who is Bipolar off her Meds. I have known her to pick up random junk likes twigs and papers off sidewalks and grass before. She even found one lone shoe, and almost wondered off looking for the other. I had to yell at her that she won't get any pizza.

Now I never/found a lost one before. But with her, this is entirely possible.

11 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

close to 30, who is Bipolar off her Meds

why she off her meds?

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

12 minutes ago, adarw said:

why she off her meds?

She is homeless off and on. I only known her a year and a half. I think friends and family take her in. For a short time and then toss her out. 

She also sometimes abuses Pot. And tries to tell me it is medicine. Not the way she is using it isn't.

39 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I was wondering how the Medical Bracelets are used by FR/ER Personals, are they read from? More to the Point, what would happen if a person was wearing someone else's Bracelet? Perhaps they found it on the ground or something?

I am not a medical professional, so this is pure speculation:

I would assume they use them before a surgery or something to double check your identity. I.E. not perform surgery on the wrong person. Also probably to identify you while you are under narcosis. Other than that, I don't know.

We tend to use them more for unconscious patients.  If someone is awake, we usually just take the history by directly asking the patient.  If someone is wearing someone else's medical alert bracelet we wouldn't be unable to tell.  

They are meant to provide necessary medical information to paramedics if you are unable to respond to medical questions, like if you're unconscious after a car accident or something similar.

2 hours ago, whm1974 said:

what would happen if a person was wearing someone else's Bracelet? Perhaps they found it on the ground or something?

I don't know what kind of absolute wierdo would wear a random medical bracelet they found on the ground, but it would give EMTs the wrong information and may be life threatening if they get into a situations where the can't say "it's not my braclet, ignore everything on it" like if it included the "do not resuscitate" clause.

This is not the first time you've bought up this "friend" on this forum and really has no bearing on the question being asked originally, so i don't know why you bought her up again. I'm really confused as to what your relationship with this woman is and why you feel like you need to be her carer....despite also asking if there is a shock collar you can put on her if she considers buying illegal drugs

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Medical bracelets alert emergency responders to any pre-existing medical conditions or allergies a person may have in the event that they require medical attention and are unconscious or unresponsive. Many years ago I had a friend who suffered from seizures who had a medical bracelet and I got the impression it was not the sort of thing they would carelessly lose.

As @Worstcaster said they wouldn't know if a person is wearing someone else's medical bracelet, which is why you shouldn't wear someone else's medical bracelet.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 hours ago, Arika S said:

They are meant to provide necessary medical information to paramedics if you are unable to respond to medical questions, like if you're unconscious after a car accident or something similar.

I don't know what kind of absolute wierdo would wear a random medical bracelet they found on the ground, but it would give EMTs the wrong information and may be life threatening if they get into a situations where the can't say "it's not my braclet, ignore everything on it" like if it included the "do not resuscitate" clause.

This is not the first time you've bought up this "friend" on this forum and really has no bearing on the question being asked originally, so i don't know why you bought her up again. I'm really confused as to what your relationship with this woman is and why you feel like you need to be her carer....despite also asking if there is a shock collar you can put on her if she considers buying illegal drugs

This is a different woman. She is not a thief the other younger petite drug addicted one is. My point here being is that people who have untreated mental illnesses tend to have odd behaviors.

Self Treating only makes this worse.

• 2 weeks later...

They have your medical info on them. If you're wearing someone elses, then it'll have that person's medical info on it. Not sure how that's confusing.

That's a really, really random and obscure thing to be worried about. It's more likely she'd find something like a needle that she'd accidentally stick herself with.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

25 minutes ago, dizmo said:

They have your medical info on them. If you're wearing someone elses, then it'll have that person's medical info on it. Not sure how that's confusing.

That's a really, really random and obscure thing to be worried about. It's more likely she'd find something like a needle that she'd accidentally stick herself with.

Considering that she is Bipolar and off her Meds, as well as self treating with Pot, it is possible she could wear someone else Bracelet. Or worse jump off a roof believing she can fly...

Mentally ill self-medicating with illicit substances is an overlap of about 70% of both groups.  It's not really something you can do to prevent "klepto" or something you should worry about.  Recidivism is extremely high with the on/off meds cyclical action ubiquitous among this segment of the population, and there will always be a number who will not  progress, no matter how earnest an effort is made to prevent backsliding.

3 hours ago, IPD said:

Mentally ill self-medicating with illicit substances is an overlap of about 70% of both groups.  It's not really something you can do to prevent "klepto" or something you should worry about.  Recidivism is extremely high with the on/off meds cyclical action ubiquitous among this segment of the population, and there will always be a number who will not  progress, no matter how earnest an effort is made to prevent backsliding.

I used to take an OTC Sleep Aid due to trouble sleeping. I ended up abusing it later.