3D Movies different in VR than in the cinema?

carrickwater

I don't know if anyone has experienced this but then I'm looking to see if its the same for others.. So I've watched a few 3d movies at the cinema and generally, the 3D feels like I could reach out and touch it. I never seem to experience the same in VR. The 3D feels like it's really muted in VR compared to the cinema. I wonder why it happens and what causes it?

There are multiple implementations of "3d" movies. Which ones are we comparing here? IMAX for example has the best implementation imo due to their linear polarization and dual projector use. Other implementations are solely single projector and use different types of polarization.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

13 minutes ago, Levent said:

There are multiple implementations of "3d" movies. Which ones are we comparing here? IMAX for example has the best implementation imo due to their linear polarization and dual projector use. Other implementations are solely single projector and use different types of polarization.

Basically comparing non IMAX, something like real 3D, the 3d we see TV's and projectors to that of VR.

1 minute ago, carrickwater said:

Basically comparing non IMAX, something like real 3D, the 3d we see TV's and projectors to that of VR.

Real 3D also uses polarisation, it's simply circular instead of linear. Circular polarisation is easier to deal with in the sense that it won't matter if you tilt your head. That does matter when dealing with linear polarisation.

What VR experiences are we talking about here? Simple phone-level gimmick VR or proper Vive/Oculus level VR? VR is different from 3D in that you are inside the world and can interact with it similar to just walking around in real life.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Just for clarification here for everyone, I'm talking about 3D movies. I currently use a Quest2, so I'm talking about high end headsets.

23 minutes ago, carrickwater said:

Just for clarification here for everyone, I'm talking about 3D movies. I currently use a Quest2, so I'm talking about high end headsets.

The movies may have a stronger 3D effect or play with persepective to make it feel stronger. If we are talking about watching the exact same movie in VR versus theatre, then my first question would be whether it's actually playing "in 3D" on the headset. The theatre brings separate images to your left and right eye giving you the stereoscopic image. The VR headset needs to do the same thing. To do that you will need a side-by-side 3D version of the movie that contains those two perspectives.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

• 2 weeks later...

Have you compared using the SAME movies? 

If the film wasn't shot stereoscopically and had 3D implemented as a post production feature it is usually terrible in BOTH uses.

I'd encourage you to make sure the films you are checking in VR were a TRUE 3D film
https://realorfake3d.com/

And then to see if the VR implementation of the movie is actually like others have said is sending two different images to your screen(S)

Now Personally I haven't done a 3D movie in VR. BUT  I would guess that one reason it doesn't look as good is the proximity of the screens to your eyes.

VR is appealing because you are INSIDE the environment and its the only thing you see.

I think 3D with glasses works because you stil perceive the screen as something IN your environment rather than YOU being in the Environment the film is taking place in (VR),

So with the TV always being a fixed distance away and the depth perception you have for what is in front/behind your screen it "makes sense" to your brain that something is coming at you. Because you can perceive of how far away it (the base level/screen) is.

Currently have to game on Wife's PC (see profile) so instead here's my Home Theater Setup!

TV: 2019 65" Vizio P-Series Quantum X | Media Streamer: Roku Ultra 2020 | UHD Player: Panasonic UB820 | Consoles: PS5 with 4TB external SSC, Nintendo Switch, Nintendo WiiU (Ethernet to everything)

SOUND
5.1.4 AVR: Marantz SR6014 | 2 Polk S55 Mains, Polk S35 Center, 2 Polk S50 Sides, 4 Polk S15 Height Channels, HTS 12 Subwoofer