Can i add a 1 TB 2.5" hdd to my laptop? my laptop is dell g15 ryzen 7 rtx 3050 ti

Baneous
Go to solution Solved by Qyygle,

Dell G15 5515 Ryzen Edition review: An affordable FHD gaming laptop - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

image.png.3ab77795134629de98b7d067461befc5.png

I assume this is what they're referring to. Honestly, if you don't feel like finding the part, you can also probably get away with using some double sided tape (or some electrical tape), maybe some foam too, to secure the SSD in place and call it a day. Once you close the bottom up, it's fairly unlikely to come loose if you do it right.

BestBuy and Dell... never has a worse match been made in Hell...

Hi guys i have recently ordered a laptop from bestbuy. it's base config is Dell g15 ryzen 7 rtx 3050 ti, 1*8gb ram and 512gb ssd. i don't have enough budget to buy a 1 tb ssd so i am planning to buy a new 1 tb 2.5" hdd which i am planning to add to the existing 512gb ssd. i want to know if my laptop supports it. 

the laptop which i bought is [https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-g15-15-6-fhd-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3050-ti-graphics-512gb-ssd-phantom-grey-with-speckles/6461724.p?skuId=6461724]

These are the two things i want to add to the laptop:

1) 8 gb ram [ https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C4Z69LN/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1]

2) 1 tb hdd [ https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071F9MLJJ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1]

let me know if these both are worth buying. if not pls list the replacement of similar prices as above products.

appreciate for your help guys!!

afaik, there is no way to add an hdd to this as there isn't a 2.5 bay, or disk drive, so no sata. you could use an external drive through usb though.

1 minute ago, bmx6454 said:

afaik, there is no way to add an hdd to this as there isn't a 2.5 bay, or disk drive, so no sata. you could use an external drive through usb though.

so the only possible way is to add is m.2 nvme ssd not even sata ssd??

5 minutes ago, Baneous said:

so the only possible way is to add is m.2 nvme ssd not even sata ssd??

hopefully someone will chime in if im mistaken, but the specs list 0 2.5 expansion slots, but a 2nd m.2 slot. so yeah, only option is another m.2 or external drive. external drive is still a decent option though.

You can get 1TB or even 2TB NVMe drives for not too much nowadays. You'd find better performance with an internal drive rather than an external one. Since your laptop appears to have an 2nd slot, it would be as simple as installing it and partitioning it in windows.

DRAMless: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089DNM8LR/ref=twister_B087DY7KVS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

DRAM: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Rocket-Internal-Performance-SB-RKTQ-1TB/dp/B07ZZYWTBP/ref=sr_1_19?dchild=1&keywords=nvme+drive&qid=1635883461&sr=8-19

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

2 hours ago, mr fobs said:

You can get 1TB or even 2TB NVMe drives for not too much nowadays. You'd find better performance with an internal drive rather than an external one. Since your laptop appears to have an 2nd slot, it would be as simple as installing it and partitioning it in windows.

DRAMless: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089DNM8LR/ref=twister_B087DY7KVS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

DRAM: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Rocket-Internal-Performance-SB-RKTQ-1TB/dp/B07ZZYWTBP/ref=sr_1_19?dchild=1&keywords=nvme+drive&qid=1635883461&sr=8-19

and i can add the secondary ssd without any hastle right?? or should i need to buy mounting brackets?? 

6 hours ago, bmx6454 said:

hopefully someone will chime in if im mistaken, but the specs list 0 2.5 expansion slots, but a 2nd m.2 slot. so yeah, only option is another m.2 or external drive. external drive is still a decent option though.

I can add the secondary ssd without any hastle right?? or do i need to buy mounting brackets?

40 minutes ago, Baneous said:

I can add the secondary ssd without any hastle right?? or do i need to buy mounting brackets?

yeah, just pops into the empty slot, no extra hardware, just a screwdriver to screw it in.

oh, and the specs list that it's only compatible with gen 3 pci, so no gen 4 ssd's.

On 11/2/2021 at 7:18 PM, bmx6454 said:

yeah, just pops into the empty slot, no extra hardware, just a screwdriver to screw it in.

oh, and the specs list that it's only compatible with gen 3 pci, so no gen 4 ssd's.

Hello just contacted bestbuy customer care. they are saying that dell is not providing mounting bracket and screw for that secondary ssd. it's a bummer it costs like penny to manufacture it. now i need to buy in amazon for 10 dollars. WASTE OF MONEY!

41 minutes ago, Baneous said:

Hello just contacted bestbuy customer care. they are saying that dell is not providing mounting bracket and screw for that secondary ssd. it's a bummer it costs like penny to manufacture it. now i need to buy in amazon for 10 dollars. WASTE OF MONEY!

it needs a bracket? i would check an installation video on youtube, i've never seen an m.2 mounting spot that needed anything other than the screw at the top, but maybe this laptop is somehow different?

Dell G15 5515 Ryzen Edition review: An affordable FHD gaming laptop - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

image.png.3ab77795134629de98b7d067461befc5.png

I assume this is what they're referring to. Honestly, if you don't feel like finding the part, you can also probably get away with using some double sided tape (or some electrical tape), maybe some foam too, to secure the SSD in place and call it a day. Once you close the bottom up, it's fairly unlikely to come loose if you do it right.

BestBuy and Dell... never has a worse match been made in Hell...