Suggestions on Psychology books

LawrenceBarnes2013

Hey guys. So my lady's big on Psychology and it's actually her filed of study. So i was thinking i wanna get her a nice book as a birthday present and figured u guys could help me out with some suggestions. Most of her fav authors are Arabic but she doesn't mind reading something in English. 

Thanks u guys. 

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

You understand you are asking a tech forum this question?

Not down playing you question but probably not the best place, hopefully someone has an answer for you.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

You understand you are asking a tech forum this question?

Not down playing you question but probably not the best place, hopefully someone has an answer for you.

Ofc i do understand, mate. LOL. But after all it is Off Topic so i figured it shouod be fine and i might actually get some suggestions. 

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

25 minutes ago, Eviljuche said:

"Anti-Oedipus" by Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari

Hide contents

I am just joking, never buy this psychology book as a present to a psychologist, it is very controversial.

Alright. Suggestions as to what i should steer clear from are also appreciated 😁

Marcus Aurelius - Meditations (its not technically psychology but its mix psychology/philosophy)

Depending in what direction of psychology she is into some of them like Jung some don`t.

Is she looking for books strictly within the Psychology field (eg. a bio on Carl Jung or the experiments of B.F. Skinner) or is she looking more broadly into things like philosophical interplay with psychology, social/group interactions and effects on individuals, policy guidance taken from studies in human psychology, etc?

I can think of a few I might recommend--but again, not sure what she's looking for (narrow or broad focus)--and some of those might fall outside the scope she wants.

-Hare-Brain, Tortise-Mind - was one that I enjoyed a lot when i was finishing my Psych/Social-Work BA.  It explains "tip of the tongue" syndrome better than any other I've seen.

-Anything (except the hollywood movie) on the Zimbardo Prison Experiment.  The Lucifer Effect is probably the best book.

---

Branching into philosophy a bit more:

-Terror and Consent

if she also doesn't mind fiction:

-The Fountainhead / Atlas Shrugged (or one of Rand's non-fiction books, if she doesn't want fiction)

---

I mention broader scope topics because my personal experience is that core beliefs shape behavior patterns.  So the manifestations of human behavior ultimately are derived from philosophical principles that under-gird the foundations of one's own beliefs structures.  We can see this in things like the Milgram Experiment - some will defer to authority, some will not.  Some will feel the end justifies the means; some will not.  These are but 2 examples of where personal philosophy determines psychological behaviors.

I hesitate to recommend study of behavior patterns--in a vacuum.  Usually, behavior becomes quite predictable if one can accurately grasp the philosophies and beliefs that underpin.  Are you an Objectivist or a Subjectivist?  Altruist or Egoist?  Believe humans are inherently good, or inherently evil? etc.

recently read Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcom Gladwell, thought it was pretty good though it may not be the type of book that is wanted

https://www.amazon.com/Blink-Power-Thinking-Without/dp/0316010669

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

when you say field of psychology, you could mean anything from trauma to addiction to generic social work, to communications to trying to manipulate your way into political power. What is the subject in psychology that makes her tick, who does she want to study or help the most?

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.