1GB rated ethernet cable recomendations

octester

They're  giving my area fiber internet, I need some sugestions for high quality ethernet cables that I can use for a direct connection, and a switch I can use to connect all my stuff in my room to the connection

So just some generic cat 5e and a generic cheap gigabit switch.

Gigabit has basically been a standard for 2 ish decades now you really don't need much at all. I tend to get that cheap tp-link green switch for 20 something and a roll of 50m cat 5e for about 30-40€. Then make my own cables with some random Ethernet cable kit I got from amazon for 18€ years ago.

1GB

I hope you know that's 1 Gigabyte? 1 byte = 8 bits. Gigabit is Gb. You're probably talking about Gigabit(Gb) here.

CAT5E or CAT6 cables should be good for gigabit.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

For 1 gbps, the minimum you need is cat5e cable.  

It's capable of up to 2.5 gbps if the network card and the device at the other end support the latest ethernet standard, otherwise you'll be limited to 1 gbps. 

You can get cat6 and cat6a cables, which can support up to 10 gbps and also are backwards compatible, so they'll work perfectly fine with 1 gbps. 

Cat6 cables are supposed to be used with 10gbps up to around 55 meters, and up to 100 meters on lower speeds.... cat6a cables can do any speed up to 10gbps up to 100 meters, that's pretty much all the difference. 

You'll probably have a hard time finding any ready made cables in stores that are rated for cat5e, because Cat6 standard is not that much harder to meet and they're not really saving money using the older standard, so a factory making cables will just go straight to Cat6 or Cat6a