This sliding phone Viable y/n?Thanks in advance.

A little sketch of a sliding phone i though about. It would remove the need for 3 screens and would make the usability experience more seamless. We had this already on a few phone back then for keyboard. Why not now for screen.

Do you think it's viable y/n, why? Any opinion is appreciated.

Screenshot_20211026-042418-298.png

> Moved to Phones & Tablets

With a sliding door style duel screen there would always be a seam between the two screens when in 'tablet mode'. Folding phones can have the screen bend at the seam since the two screens aren't separating and moving laterally. It'd be annoying trying to read or watch content on a screen with a line cutting it in half.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

> Moved to Phones & Tablets

With a sliding door style duel screen there would always be a seam between the two screens when in 'tablet mode'. Folding phones can have the screen bend at the seam since the two screens aren't separating and moving laterally. It'd be annoying trying to read or watch content on a screen with a line cutting it in half.

Interesting point. On the post I stated the top display would be curved. Kind of like the galaxy note screens. Would you say that fixes the issue?

The, "can't see what's on the middle" is a an issue the surface duo holds as well. This at least would have a screen going across. Thoughts?

14 minutes ago, Lion220 said:

A little sketch of a sliding phone i though about. It would remove the need for 3 screens and would make the usability experience more seamless. We had this already on a few phone back then for keyboard. Why not now for screen.

Screenshot_20211026-042418-298.png

I see where you’re coming from with this but I feel like the new oppo find X concept phone kinda has a better idea imo. Basically just gave one big flexible display panel then roll it round the back of the phone and hide it behind the back glass of the phone when not in use 

edit, photo:

image.thumb.jpeg.7b2688e3555aac2013dd83f80ef8d07f.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Techo238 said:

I see where you’re coming from with this but I feel like the new oppo find X concept phone kinda has a better idea imo. Basically just gave one big flexible display panel then roll it round the back of the phone and hide it behind the back glass of the phone when not in use 

edit, photo:

image.thumb.jpeg.7b2688e3555aac2013dd83f80ef8d07f.jpeg

It would need a plastic screen right? The mechanism looks very complex. Very expensive too. Also i think structural rigidity could be an issue. Still good design.

Apart from the TCL one i didn't know any other. I'm glad phones are moving towards this. I still see some drawbacks with the oppo/ TCL design and with their concept.

Thanks for commenting

your design could be a good idea but idk how i feel about the extra screen part being at the bottom (mabe a gradual curve would fix that or maybe make the two screens angled in a way so that you still have a flat screen area when in tablet mode other than that i think you are onto something here.

On 10/26/2021 at 5:37 AM, Lion220 said:

This has me flashing back to the Samsung Moment. One of those phones with the slide out keyboard. It was a piece of shit. The cable between the screen section and the keyboard section would have issues over time. I when thru 4 of those phones in six months. My sister did about the same. That phone is the reason why I dont buy Samsung phones. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.