Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Aftermarket GPU cooler: Some advice?

Imago
 Share

Hello everyone!

I hope someone can help me...

I bought a Palit GTX 1060 6Gb some time ago and now it's clear that its puny cooler can't cool the GPU properly. It's literally a small chunk of aluminium with a really small fan on it.

Somewhere I saw a couple of aftermarket gpu coolers (from Arctic and Raijintek) but they are really hard to find (always on restocking or not available), there are some other brands that makes stuff like that?

I even tried to use the cooler form another GPU that had about the same size and form but I have to cut&bend some part of it in order to fit in the 1060 and I don't want to ruin another GPU with the risk it doesn't work properly.

Thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to do this cheap and your case has some room in it, buy a half decent tower cooler like the Hyper 212 or something like it, some thermal epoxy and small heatsinks on AliExpress for the memory chips, and mount the CPU cooler to the GPU. It's not that difficult, and will cool the GPU about as well as you could hope for. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

even though the 1060 just has an aluminum chunk , if you redo it's paste and lock the fan at 100% what's it's load temp?

while probably somewhat loud the 1060 should be able to stay under80c if you really blast the fan on it. (trying to think of easy/free solution)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you want to do this cheap and your case has some room in it, buy a half decent tower cooler like the Hyper 212 or something like it, some thermal epoxy and small heatsinks on AliExpress for the memory chips, and mount the CPU cooler to the GPU. It's not that difficult, and will cool the GPU about as well as you could hope for. 

I can't find a proper way to mount a CPU cooler on the GPU, the mounting holes are totally different, exactly the thickness of the chips.

Do you know a good guide to do it?

 

15 hours ago, emosun said:

even though the 1060 just has an aluminum chunk , if you redo it's paste and lock the fan at 100% what's it's load temp?

while probably somewhat loud the 1060 should be able to stay under80c if you really blast the fan on it. (trying to think of easy/free solution)

I changed the thermal paste, I used the MX4 and I'm sure the application was OK but temps didn't change at all, probably just one or two degree less than before.
Even using the fan at 100% the situation isn't better: a lot of noice and the temp goes to 90° in two mins instead on one...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Imago said:

I can't find a proper way to mount a CPU cooler on the GPU, the mounting holes are totally different, exactly the thickness of the chips.

Do you know a good guide to do it?

You really need to be a DIY type person or have various spare parts to mount it securely. Its going to vary between other coolers.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X   Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: Powercolor R9 290   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Corsair RM750x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Imago said:

I can't find a proper way to mount a CPU cooler on the GPU, the mounting holes are totally different, exactly the thickness of the chips.

Do you know a good guide to do it?

 

I changed the thermal paste, I used the MX4 and I'm sure the application was OK but temps didn't change at all, probably just one or two degree less than before.
Even using the fan at 100% the situation isn't better: a lot of noice and the temp goes to 90° in two mins instead on one...

Is that an actual game load or just a synthetic load

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, emosun said:

Is that an actual game load or just a synthetic load

I used some games and also FurMark to test it.

The games are GTA 5, Warzone and Heroes&Generals.

I did same tests on another 1060 and the temps are way better. Please spare me the "then use the other" because it's not mine. 😆

In the end, I simply have to buy another GPU, then?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/25/2021 at 5:04 PM, alyen said:

You really need to be a DIY type person or have various spare parts to mount it securely. Its going to vary between other coolers.

It's something I would avoid, that's why asked is someone could suggest me a good aftermarket GPU cooler.

I know there's some out there but I can't get them due to constant unavailability.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/25/2021 at 6:22 AM, Imago said:

I can't find a proper way to mount a CPU cooler on the GPU, the mounting holes are totally different, exactly the thickness of the chips.

Do you know a good guide to do it?

Zip ties baby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Imago said:

I used some games and also FurMark to test it.

The games are GTA 5, Warzone and Heroes&Generals.

I did same tests on another 1060 and the temps are way better. Please spare me the "then use the other" because it's not mine. 😆

In the end, I simply have to buy another GPU, then?

Did the card hit 80c in the game load or only furmark

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

Newegg

×