My new Noctua NH-D15S defeated by 5800X. Can I make it better?

Grayblade

Hello

I built new system with 5800x in my old case Fractal Define R2. Before getting new cooler wanted to try my good old Hyper 212 RGB BE.

It wasn't up for the stock challenge and only worked comfortably in Eco mode. Then I thought I'll get something good to cool my new precious CPU and ended up choosing Noctua NH-D15S black version as it was compatible with my RAM.

Noctua is a lot better than Hyper 212 and doesn't get thermal limited by games. Ultra settings at 1080p temps are SotTR ~84C and HZD ~88C so almost 90C thermal limit.

However when I run 3D Mark or CB R23 I was surprised as NH-D15S can't keep up and gets 90C thermal limited.

Temps are high regardless if I opened case or not. Fans (Fractal Silent R2) full speed or not.

Whn installing the cooler I followed Noctua instructions.

I knew 5800X was hot chip but I was expecting NH-D15S to be able cool it somewhere around 84-88C in CB.

Chaining PPT/TDC/EDC is an option but I'd rather leave it at stock. Is there anything else I could try?

11 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Have you tried remounting the cooler? 

No I haven't tried that. I figured that since I installed it as instructed it wouldn't make a difference.

I can try that tomorrow.

Well something is out of order. Maybe not enough thermal paste? Also are you sure all the fans are mounted the right way? But remember it's better with too much thermal paste than not enough.. if it's too much it will simply be forced out the sides.

Furthermore, updating BIOS, chipset drivers and using Ryzen Balanced power plan should help idle temps.

29 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Well something is out of order. Maybe not enough thermal paste? Also are you sure all the fans are mounted the right way? But remember it's better with too much thermal paste than not enough.. if it's too much it will simply be forced out the sides.

Furthermore, updating BIOS, chipset drivers and using Ryzen Balanced power plan should help idle temps.

For thermal paste I put pea size as per Noctua instructions. I did think it's too little but instructions said too much will hurt performance.

I have fresh Windows install with latest BIOS and chipset drivers.

As for power plan Ryzen 5000 doesn't have one. Source this AMD post:

https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/missing-power-plans-on-amd-ryzen-5000-series/m-p/421774/highlight/true#M33892

Actually had to check my fans. I knew case fans where OK but need to double check CPU fan too.

I think I'll e-mail Noctua support and see what they come up with.

Honestly amd and some motherboard manufacturers are very aggressive with voltage and frequency so you may want to tinker with that some as there are motherboards that are terribly with this and simply make the cpus run so much hotter

15 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly amd and some motherboard manufacturers are very aggressive with voltage and frequency so you may want to tinker with that some as there are motherboards that are terribly with this and simply make the cpus run so much hotter

I rather not mess with this stuff. I don't even know where to begin.

Out of curiosity ran CB R23 while Ryzen Master opened. I saw spike to 1,43V on peak core voltage and then it settled to 1,37V. Is that too much?

You can do this (lower on the list the more inpact on temps)
1Add a 3rd fan
2Better Thermalpaste
3Get a better cooler, a 360 if u can get it to fit. 

4dive into bios

51 minutes ago, Grayblade said:

Noctua is a lot better than Hyper 212 and doesn't get thermal limited by games. Ultra settings at 1080p temps are SotTR ~84C and HZD ~88C so almost 90C thermal limit.

However when I run 3D Mark or CB R23 I was surprised as NH-D15S can't keep up and gets 90C thermal limited.

Those chips run that hot, but this is normal behavior for this generation. I have a Corsair H150i Pro and I can make it go up to 88C in Cinebench, in normal games it's 65-75C most of the time. Options are increase fan speed on your cooler and in the case, or limit performance like setting PPT to a lower value.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 hour ago, NorKris said:

You can do this (lower on the list the more inpact on temps)
1Add a 3rd fan
2Better Thermalpaste
3Get a better cooler, a 360 if u can get it to fit. 

4dive into bios

Thanks. Out of 4 I can try adding 2nd fan and dive into BIOS when I feel like tuning.

36 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Those chips run that hot, but this is normal behavior for this generation. I have a Corsair H150i Pro and I can make it go up to 88C in Cinebench, in normal games it's 65-75C most of the time. Options are increase fan speed on your cooler and in the case, or limit performance like setting PPT to a lower value.

If even 360 AIO struggles with temps then I guess it's normal that NH-D15S struggles too

I found AMD slide where they say it's by design and no user interaction needed.

Diving into BIOS is something I wanted to avoid, but seems like best and cheapest way to get temps down.

My CPU fan curve is set at 85C fan goes 100% speed that is 1500 RMP.

I've thought of replacing my case fans and ordered one PHANTEKS PH-F140MP V2 to see if it's any good and how I like the sound of it.

It seemed to have good price to performance with 15€. For buying more expensive fans I'll wait for new 140 Noctuas.

7 hours ago, Grayblade said:

For thermal paste I put pea size as per Noctua instructions. I did think it's too little but instructions said too much will hurt performance.

I have fresh Windows install with latest BIOS and chipset drivers.

As for power plan Ryzen 5000 doesn't have one. Source this AMD post:

https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/missing-power-plans-on-amd-ryzen-5000-series/m-p/421774/highlight/true#M33892

Actually had to check my fans. I knew case fans where OK but need to double check CPU fan too.

I think I'll e-mail Noctua support and see what they come up with.

It's strange that Noctua said that because excess gets forced out. I have tried a little pea myself and I thought maybe our peas are smaller than in other countries because that pea sized thermal paste did not cover the heatspreader. So I have started with making a "x"  that way I know I get full coverage.

Doesn't noctua recommend the 5 dots pattern? 

https://noctua.at/pub/media/blfa_files/manual/noctua_nt-h2_3.5g_manual_en.pdf

Anyway try reseating the cooler. The 5800x is actually notoriously hard to cool since all of its cores are concentrated on a small part of the cpu. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

5 hours ago, Kinda Bottlenecked said:

Doesn't noctua recommend the 5 dots pattern? 

https://noctua.at/pub/media/blfa_files/manual/noctua_nt-h2_3.5g_manual_en.pdf

Anyway try reseating the cooler. The 5800x is actually notoriously hard to cool since all of its cores are concentrated on a small part of the cpu. 

I have NT-H1 thermal paste where they recommend 1 big dot in the middle

https://noctua.at/pub/media/blfa_files/manual/noctua_nt-h1_3.5g_manual_en.pdf

Maybe 1 dot doesn't work for 5800X and I need to do the 5 dots pattern.

I'll wait and see what Noctua replies and then reseat the cooler.

I put a line down the side and pull it from one side to the other using the spatula. With Intel I just put a line down the cores and slap the cooler down and give it a titty twister before the clamps. Those different sized dots can piss off.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's