5900x 70+c idle

fayt_shadows
Go to solution Solved by fayt_shadows,

Pretty sure I found what the issue was. 

haven’t been able to get much further had to take a trip into Halifax. 

when I filled my loop last time I forgot to put in a biocide. 

B6FCB4E7-F4D8-45BD-8362-A3E4C4969765.jpeg

B7E414B6-7C67-4933-8B7A-FE26157A2535.jpeg

Alright I bought a cyber power pc for my kids with the plans on robbing the 5900x to replace my 3900x. I set the cyber power pc up first and ran CTR to get a baseline temps for the cpu with a 120mm aio. idle mid 30's load 68.

I swapped it into my rig which has a custom loop with a d5 variable pump heat killer rev iv a double 120mm rad along with a triple 120mm rad. Each rad is set up in a push/pull config, 10 Noctua NF-P12 redux in total. It should be over kill. The only thing that is cooled by the loop is the cpu. 

Ran ctr 2.1 got a profile, made my tweaks and still idling at 70+c. I know it's not the mounting pressure, this has been check, check, and rechecked. It's not the thermal paste, its making great contact. 

I did notice my voltage jumping around in CPU-z even after my CTR profile is loaded. 

As soon as I run r20 it thermal throttles drops voltage back to 1.1 and locks all cores to around 3900mhz 

My 3900x which I just took out idled around 45-50 and would load no more then mid 70's

Currently at a loss for the high temps. 

System is an asus Strix x-570-e (latest bios)

5900x 

G.skill 3600mhz @16-19-19-39

Gigabyte RTX 3080

Well the 5900X is a bit more monster than a 3900.....

Heat Killer IV is probably one of the best blocks on the market... ain't that....

D5 pump needs to be primed, that much I know. 

Banking on air being trapped somewhere.

Loop was bled a year ago, don't think that is it. I am planning on pulling the whole loop apart this weekend and cleaning it, putting fresh fluid in. I'm hoping that might help

I've got a similar setup to you, full custom loop with a 3080 and a 5900X, same block, but with dual 360mm rads and running a different motherboard (X570 Taichi). My temps are 40-50C at idle and 65-75C under load, so there's definitely something wrong with the system. I'd monitor voltage to make sure that the BIOS on the board isn't running at something insanely high (1.6V or something stupid high like that, but if it was running that high you'd probably have heard a pop). Only thing else I can think of is the microfins in the block are clogged, but you would've seen temps being that high with the 3900X. 1 year is the mark that most people recommend swapping the fluid in the loop anyway, so you probably want to do a full coolant swap and block cleaning anyway. Unless the pump somehow died at the same time you upgraded the system, the microfins are probably your culprit.

Pretty sure I found what the issue was. 

haven’t been able to get much further had to take a trip into Halifax. 

when I filled my loop last time I forgot to put in a biocide. 

B6FCB4E7-F4D8-45BD-8362-A3E4C4969765.jpeg

B7E414B6-7C67-4933-8B7A-FE26157A2535.jpeg

8 hours ago, Bitter said:

Gross, what is that?!? What coolant did you use so we can all avoid it.

It was just Distilled water, I forgot to put a biocide in. 

4 hours ago, fayt_shadows said:

It was just Distilled water, I forgot to put a biocide in. 

I don't think you get green from straight distilled water that quickly unless you're running mixed metals in the system? I've rain straight distilled water in loops before but only with one metal, never got green goo.

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

I don't think you get green from straight distilled water that quickly unless you're running mixed metals in the system? I've rain straight distilled water in loops before but only with one metal, never got green goo.

There is one rad that I'm not sure what the core is made out of, but the cpu block and other rad are both copper core.