Damn, Apple.

8 hours ago, nas01 said:

I have a question, apart from the music industry and some media industry, are there that many users that would be able to take advantage of the mac pro and max GPU. From what I know most of the most of the users that would be able to take advantage of such a GPU would be using windows. Either gamers where most games are in windows, or engineering and scientific fields where CUDA is the industry standard.

I don’t know the status of M1 support but engineering using software like radiance and different forms of CAD.

But yeah just as with x86 ecosystem in engineering you rent server time for most real heavy lifting and can do with a less powerful GPU most of the time.

Also some ”industry standard” simulation software (in my field, in my country) is so poorly written so it’s CPU only and really can’t be divided up in more than 4 threads before you get computational errors (transient determenistic calculations).

As for CAD it depends on what you do, I use AutoCAD and make only smaller drawings of details. In my case it’s doable on my work windows laptop with intel integrated graphics. But doing the same on my OG M1 mac is a much more plesant and fluid experience. So in my case the M1 Max or Pro is really overkill even if I would want one (and the only computer game I really play on my Mac nowadays is Civ6 and it runs good on the OG M1)

On 10/20/2021 at 9:41 PM, IsaacisWeeb said:

Every single person i know with a  computer and a mouse have a Bluetooth mouse that uses a donlge

They don't need to use the dongle though if they have on board Bluetooth.

and i have never even seen a USB C mouse in my life

That's okay, they're all over Amazon.

On 10/21/2021 at 12:10 AM, atxcyclist said:

Apple has been really kicking butt and taking names with their new M1 stuff. I have a family member that's probably going to wait on the eventual price drop of a 14", they don't really need high-spec hardware but their 2013 MacBook Pro has treated them well and it's about time for an upgrade. They could have probably gone with the first gen M1 Air and been quite well taken-care-of, but having some more ports and Magsafe charging are great features.

Apple doesn’t drop prices on Macs, they just discontinue and absorb remaining stock for parts and replacements. Some retailers will take $100-150 off occasionally but that’s it, they won’t go below cost because Apple takes vendor returns.

Only way to get any significant reduction in cost is to buy used, unfortunately.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20