Accidently reversed flow (I think..) on on the CPU Block

Hi All,

While re-doing my loop, I forgot to take into consideration of the inlet and outlet of my CPU Block. it is a Barrow LYT intel block with no clear indication of the inlet and outlet on the block itself. Picture as attached, the way I have set it up is block inlet on the left and outlet in the right.

image.thumb.png.c58dd25d30cbc38f99d552bc44269f69.png

Did I, indeed reversed the flow? If yes, will I gain much by flipping the in/outlet on the CPU? 

Thanks, 

Based on what CPU waterblocks I've worked with water is usually forced down directly at the die then drained from the sides/bottom. The tap on the right looks like the inlet and the left looks like the drain. So yes, it is backwards.

Is it worthwhile to go through the trouble of fixing it? Well, not all blocks are created equal so although this should still work I can't say what you'll gain or lose by not fixing it.

Often though GPU blocks are bi-directional so if it's easier for you you could reverse the inlet/outlet on the pump instead of pulling the block off the board.

General rule of thumb: if it has a jet plate, it's better to not reverse flow.

While some blocks have very rough jet plates with which this isn't a big issue, if the jet plate actually does its job correctly and is designed properly, reversing flow will significantly impede performance. 

You'll have to have a look at your temps and compare to the values you had before the switch.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

2 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Based on what CPU waterblocks I've worked with water is usually forced down directly at the die then drained from the sides/bottom. The tap on the right looks like the inlet and the left looks like the drain. So yes, it is backwards.

Is it worthwhile to go through the trouble of fixing it? Well, not all blocks are created equal so although this should still work I can't say what you'll gain or lose by not fixing it.

Often though GPU blocks are bi-directional so if it's easier for you you could reverse the inlet/outlet on the pump instead of pulling the block off the board.

1 hour ago, bowrilla said:

General rule of thumb: if it has a jet plate, it's better to not reverse flow.

While some blocks have very rough jet plates with which this isn't a big issue, if the jet plate actually does its job correctly and is designed properly, reversing flow will significantly impede performance. 

You'll have to have a look at your temps and compare to the values you had before the switch.

Thank you guys for the swift response. 

The thing is, there is no marking on the block for the outlet and inlet. I am colling a 10850k underneath that block though. 

As for the block itself, there is a plastic, diamond-shaped gateway. based on the picture above, this plastic path will guide the water to the jetplate and the fins from right to left. 

Regarding temperatures, on Cinebench 23, CPU maxed out at 80C with ambient temperature of 30C in the room without AC. The loop consists of a 280mm plus a 360mm radiators. 

I just want to gauge, via your experience if it is worthwhile to drain the loop, flip the block and refill. 

12 minutes ago, Imannudein said:

Thank you guys for the swift response. 

The thing is, there is no marking on the block for the outlet and inlet. I am colling a 10850k underneath that block though. 

As for the block itself, there is a plastic, diamond-shaped gateway. based on the picture above, this plastic path will guide the water to the jetplate and the fins from right to left. 

Regarding temperatures, on Cinebench 23, CPU maxed out at 80C with ambient temperature of 30C in the room without AC. The loop consists of a 280mm plus a 360mm radiators. 

I just want to gauge, via your experience if it is worthwhile to drain the loop, flip the block and refill. 

well its a slot across the fins and gets the water in the center and out the sides. going the other way around you want be jetting the water at the block but at the outlit. and its will just slow down the flow like a bottle neck. no idea longturm what it will do. i would think you get better temps the right way?

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

3 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

well its a slot across the fins and gets the water in the center and out the sides. going the other way around you want be jetting the water at the block but at the outlit. and its will just slow down the flow like a bottle neck. no idea longturm what it will do. i would think you get better temps the right way?

I'll try to flip the block at the earliest and report back. I only have distilled water as I have exhausted all CryoFuel at hand. Hence the reluctance. 

1 hour ago, Imannudein said:

I'll try to flip the block at the earliest and report back. I only have distilled water as I have exhausted all CryoFuel at hand. Hence the reluctance. 

Drain into a clean bucket and reuse. Also: you don't need to drain fully, just make sure the block is the highest point when you unscrew and drain below the block.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

So I flipped the block tonight. Per below:

image.png.d0c06af2875c67c54f79bba365aaf527.png

Temperature dropped a couple of degrees but that could be attributed to drop in ambient or even margin of error. 

Before:

163607779_Screenshot2021-10-18230958-2.thumb.png.e18591425fadac877050e8a2947dc737.png

After:

666878094_Screenshot2021-10-18191736.thumb.png.5d463f58b001f8c9ffba3237713b2528.png

In summary, I can now stop staring at the block knowing I have corrected the flow. At no benefit or detriment to the CPU temperature. 

Thank you all for your kind replies.