Best hard drive erasure software?

Hi all,

I'm moving all of my old data off of two HP laptops. As nice as they are, Envys from 2010 and 2014, its time. The plan is to also blank the hard drives before taking them to an E Waste center. What's the best software to totally blank the drives and make sure that there isn't any old data left? I'm especially worried about financial data being there as I'm an avid player of the stock market and I have a lot of account information on them. Both laptops have DVD/CD drives if that matters, so the software could be on disk. Free is fine, but I absolutely don't mind paying for high quality software if it will get the job done.

Many thanks!

Bob

Check the drive manufacturer and just download the manager utility.

Most drive have an eraser function (some call it sanitize), do it 2 or 3 times it should be ok.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Personally would just keep the drives and destroy them, if you are worried

PC: Ryzen 7 2700 | RX 5700 XT | Asus Prime B450-PLUS | CoolerMaster Masterwatt 600W | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM | 512GB NVME SSD & 7TB combined HDD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and WIndows 10 Pro x64

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" 2015 | i7-4870HQ | R9 M370X | 16gb | 1tb SSD

iPhone 13 Pro Max | 256GB | iOS 15.7

My Folding Stats | #MuricaParrotGang

• 4 weeks later...

guttman drive wipe slow YES effective YES

can be found on any search engine 

I've used the DBAN utility (Darik's Boot and Nuke) to totally wipe hard drives.

To be safe, I make sure that ONLY the drive(s) I want to wipe are physically connected to the PC, I unplug everything else. (I'll usually boot DBAN off a USB/DVD/CD, and that shouldn't show up as an option for a device to wipe; also I think DBAN is not recommended for wiping SSDs.)

Before you do a fancy wipe: shoudn't formating be suffecient? or do have stuff on them that's a NDA (nondisclosure)? because if your taking them to get recycled anyway, why not save yourself a headache, and if their' getting taken appart? probably don't need to bother.