How much performance loss when underclocking GPU?

Omie

So long story short, I’ve had my GTX1080Ti (Asus) for about 4 years now and I believe the factory OC on it has become unstable which I’m assuming is due to natural degradation.

Several months ago, the card suddenly started crashing in all games unless I downclock the core clock by -150MHz in MSI  afterburner.

Is this the best way to go about handling the crashing issue? I’m also curious if downclocking the core clock by -150MHz will reduce my fps in games by a significant amount.

11 minutes ago, Omie said:

So long story short, I’ve had my GTX1080Ti (Asus) for about 4 years now and I believe the factory OC on it has become unstable which I’m assuming is due to natural degradation.

Several months ago, the card suddenly started crashing in all games unless I downclock the core clock by -150MHz in MSI  afterburner.

Is this the best way to go about handling the crashing issue? I’m also curious if downclocking the core clock by -150MHz will reduce my fps in games by a significant amount.

150MHz really won't do much. Trust me, if you disable the FPS counter, I'm almost certain you won't see and feel a difference. 150MHz might give you a couple of FPS. Don't worry too much about it. 

I'd even recommend doing a proper undervolt, targeting -150MHz from stock clocks - you will get a good undervolt from doing it, probably also lower power consumption by 30/40 watts. 

And btw - sorry to hear your GPU started crashing... F

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

4 minutes ago, Omie said:

I believe the factory OC on it has become unstable which I’m assuming is due to natural degradation.

Very unlikely with so little overclock and in just 4 years. It is most likely due to components overheating, if you havent before, it is time to replace your thermal paste and thermal pads. That little underclock only would make a difference where your GPU is getting maxed out.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

You're looking at a 8-10% lower frequency compared to stock (my 1080Ti boosted to around 1850Mhz when it was running on stock settings, which is why i'm taking this as a reference). So expect roughly 8-10% lower performance.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

5 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

You're looking at a 8-10% lower frequency compared to stock (my 1080Ti boosted to around 1850Mhz when it was running on stock settings, which is why i'm taking this as a reference). So expect roughly 8-10% lower performance.

Hmm, when I had my 1080Ti, I don't think I saw nearly a 8-10% in performance reduction from undervolting but I might remember wrong. 

@OmieSorry OP, I said you might lose a couple of FPS... Maybe it's a bit more in some games. 

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

6 minutes ago, BetteBalterZen said:

Hmm, when I had my 1080Ti, I don't think I saw nearly a 8-10% in performance reduction from undervolting but I might remember wrong. 

@OmieSorry OP, I said you might lose a couple of FPS... Maybe it's a bit more in some games. 

Undervolting doesn't always mean losing frequency. Sometimes you even gain frequency because you have more thermal headroom and the GPU boost will boost further.

Or did you undervolt AND apply a negatve frequency offset?

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

Undervolting doesn't always mean losing frequency. Sometimes you even gain frequency because you have more thermal headroom and the GPU boost will boost further.

Or did you undervolt AND apply a negatve frequency offset?

Yes that is true and I know this - but I always monitor my clock frequency when using custom profiles via Afterburner. And I always tune my undervolt to make the frequency stay locked at the frequency I target - or atleast I try to lock it, hehe - sometimes it fluctuates a little bit because of boosting algorithms. 

And no, I always only "undervolt" via the voltage curve in Afterburner. 

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

7 hours ago, Levent said:

Very unlikely with so little overclock and in just 4 years. It is most likely due to components overheating, if you havent before, it is time to replace your thermal paste and thermal pads. That little underclock only would make a difference where your GPU is getting maxed out.

It’s actually the Asus GTX1080Ti OC edition and I think it has one of the highest boosts compared to other GTX1080Ti’s.

Also I never replaced thermal paste/pads on my GPU and it looks a little daunting to me.

Do you think it’s worth reseating the GPU back in its PCIe slot? I never reseated it before and it’s been 4 years, is it possible that dust can cause the crashing issues? 

Just now, Omie said:

Do you think it’s worth reseating the GPU back in its PCIe slot? I never reseated it before and it’s been 4 years, is it possible that dust can cause the crashing issues? 

Dust can make thermals worse, blowing the dust off will help with temperatures BUT if you are doing that you REALLY should do pads and paste as well. Reseating the GPU is a hopeless measure, dont take anyone who suggests that for this type of issue serious. Factory overclocks are also never so high that they reduce cards durability even if its the highest clocking card that was for sale.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

Dust can make thermals worse, blowing the dust off will help with temperatures BUT if you are doing that you REALLY should do pads and paste as well. Reseating the GPU is a hopeless measure, dont take anyone who suggests that for this type of issue serious. Factory overclocks are also never so high that they reduce cards durability even if its the highest clocking card that was for sale.

I see. I just feel like I’ll mess up if I try replacing the paste/pads.

My card has a base clock of 1570MHz and boost clock of 1683MHz. So if underclocking the core clock by -150MHz, will I lose a lot of performance? Someone in this thread said about 8-10%

2 minutes ago, Omie said:

I see. I just feel like I’ll mess up if I try replacing the paste/pads.

My card has a base clock of 1570MHz and boost clock of 1683MHz. So if underclocking the core clock by -150MHz, will I lose a lot of performance? Someone in this thread said about 8-10%

You will only loose performance when your GPU is running at %99 uitilization. 8 to 10% seems about right, every card, every game, every system is different.

If you underclock your GPU core, and you continue to have a crashing issue, then you probably will want to look at the memory on the card instead.

If you have a crashing issue with both the GPU and memory underclocked, then you probably have an issue elsewhere.

Do what Jay from JayzTwoCents suggested, and run DDU then install a new driver fresh, and see if this fixes your crashing issue. If it doesn't, then log your temps. If your GPU is running really hot, like 100°c or hotter, then it's time to clean your HSF on the GPU, repaste, and repad the card.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

2 hours ago, Omie said:

it's closer to 5% for you, i measure more by power draw with clock speeds optimized

my 220w undervolt profile (fans are also off) is about 90% the performance of the 340w profile

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

23 minutes ago, Sarra said:

If you underclock your GPU core, and you continue to have a crashing issue, then you probably will want to look at the memory on the card instead.

If you have a crashing issue with both the GPU and memory underclocked, then you probably have an issue elsewhere.

Do what Jay from JayzTwoCents suggested, and run DDU then install a new driver fresh, and see if this fixes your crashing issue. If it doesn't, then log your temps. If your GPU is running really hot, like 100°c or hotter, then it's time to clean your HSF on the GPU, repaste, and repad the card.

My crashing issues are completely solved once I underclock the core clock on the GPU. After setting it to -150MHz, I don’t experience any crashes at all.

Also my GPU temps are fine so no overheating there. And I’ve tried running DDU to reinstall fresh drivers. Unfortunately the only way I can get the GPU to stop crashing is to underclock the core clock. That’s why I’m thinking it may just be degradation causing the factory OC to become unstable, especially since I’ve had the card for ~4 years now.

13 minutes ago, Omie said:

My crashing issues are completely solved once I underclock the core clock on the GPU. After setting it to -150MHz, I don’t experience any crashes at all.

Also my GPU temps are fine so no overheating there. And I’ve tried running DDU to reinstall fresh drivers. Unfortunately the only way I can get the GPU to stop crashing is to underclock the core clock. That’s why I’m thinking it may just be degradation causing the factory OC to become unstable, especially since I’ve had the card for ~4 years now.

The last two things I can think of suggesting are: 1) Reseat your card. Power off the system, pull the side panel, pull the screws holding the card into the case, pop the connector lock, pull the card out, use a clean pink eraser on the contacts to gently clean them, then reinstall it.

If that doesn't help, then if you're comfortable enough, do 2) a BIOS update. No idea who made your card, but they should have updated BIOS available for it.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

11 hours ago, BetteBalterZen said:

Hmm, when I had my 1080Ti, I don't think I saw nearly a 8-10% in performance reduction from undervolting but I might remember wrong

11 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Undervolting doesn't always mean losing frequency.

For the record,  my 3070 performs much better when undervolted .

Like 1925mhz stock, 2010mhz with undervolt -- which doesn't necessarily  translate to a lot more fps, but certainly not less...

***i should also note while it definitely uses less voltage its still using the same amount of wattage (~270w power limit) which i don't fully understand... 🤔

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, Omie said:

150 isn't that much... but you really should look into undervolting instead, not the same thing as underclocking, and it can actually gain performance due to thermals etc, as said above. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

150 isn't that much... but you really should look into undervolting instead, not the same thing as underclocking, and it can actually gain performance due to thermals etc, as said above. 

I'm just a little confused with undervolting. If my GPU is already crashing at default clocks, then wouldn't undervolting not change anything and still cause crashing? My GPU temps are fine and the crashing isn't caused by overheating, so I don't think it's an issue with the voltage being too high or anything like that.

9 hours ago, Omie said:

I'm just a little confused with undervolting. If my GPU is already crashing at default clocks, then wouldn't undervolting not change anything and still cause crashing? My GPU temps are fine and the crashing isn't caused by overheating, so I don't think it's an issue with the voltage being too high or anything like that.

It seems like an odd fix you found, but hey, if it's working, you don't have to keep tinkering. Just not sure if you'll experience further issues in the future.

5600x/RTX 4080

“1. Never tell everything at once.” - Ken Venturi's Two Great Rules of Life