Compatible keycaps with the TM680 keyboard?

DonaldChamp

Recently purchased the TM680 board and case, however struggling to find a keycap set for it that has the correct keys for the layout. Searched for the past hour or so and can't seem to find any that I know will fit the board.

Does anyone have any idea as to which ones do fit or where I can possibly look? Thanks in advance.

There are a couple things to consider with a keycap set.

The first aspect is the mounting style, which is the easiest to discuss. This keyboard uses Cherry MX or Gateron switches, which use the 'Cherry-style' cross on each keyswitch. 99% of keycap sets on the market use this.

The second aspect to think about is the keycap sizes. These sizes are discussed in 'U', or the 'unit'  of measurement for a keycap. Your alphanumeric keys (A, B, C, 1, 2, 3, etc.) are 1u sized. The other keycap sizes are based on it, such as your the left Ctrl, Alt and Windows being 1.25u, Backspace being 2u, etc.

This keyboard is mostly adheres to the default sizes, with only the right Alt, Fn, Ctrl and Shift deviating from the standard. The Alt, Fn and Ctrl are 1u, while the right Shift is 1.75u. While not the default size, these are still very common to see in aftermarket sets.

The third aspect is the keycap profile. Keycaps have different heights and slopes, depending on the row you're looking at. With most keycap profiles, your F-keys are taller and steeper than the bottom row keycaps. This is mostly a non-problem, except maybe for the Delete/Pg Up/Pg Dn keys on the right side of this TM680 board.

Counting from the bottom row, the first two rows share keycap shape, then the third, fourth and fifth row are slightly taller/steeper on most keycap profile (excluding DSA, XDA and G20, which have keycaps with all the same profile).

This means Delete is still in the same row it always is, but Pg Up and Pg Dn are both in a lower row than usual and their profile could stand out. Whether that will bother you is personal opinion.

So that basically leaves you with the option to look for 'Cherry MX'-compatible keycap sets, which include the 1u right modifiers and a 1.75u Shift, in whatever profile you want (keeping in mind the different slopes on the different rows for Pg Up/Pg Dn).

Whether you want ABS/PBT/etc., shine-through or not, etc. is all up to persona preference too.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Hey there.

8 hours ago, DonaldChamp said:

Does anyone have any idea as to which ones do fit or where I can possibly look? Thanks in advance.

As minibois mentioned earlier, the TM680 right modifier keys (1.75U Right Shift, 1U Right Alt, 1U Right Fn, 1U Right Ctrl) narrows down your selection of keycap sets.

unknown.png

TM680 Layout

I'd suggest looking for keycap sets compatible with 75% boards. Examples:

On 4/23/2021 at 9:33 PM, Eschew said:

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)