Why light weight mice?

Ravendarat

I see this being a big thing now a days, seems like everyone is chasing lighter and lighter mice. What is the benefit to this? Are people actually able to see an appreciable difference in their reaction time by having a mouse weighing a few grams less? Just seems unlikely to me but I am thinking I might have to replace my Dark Core Pro mouse as its having some left side double clicking issues so now I am starting to look around and wanted to see what the perceived advantage was

From a purely physical standpoint, the lighter something is the less inertia it has the faster you can accelerate at the same force. So in a sense it should allow for faster mouse movements with less work, but how much of a difference that makes in the practical sense, I'd say mostly for professional players beyond a certain point.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

For me, it helps with wrist/hand fatigue is my main reason. Right now I main the Steel Series Prime Wireless which is 80g and I find it to be around the sweet spot for me, though have used lighter with the PUC Ergo and Glorious Model D for example. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

The lighter the mouse, the more accurate it is to your wrist movements due to less kinetic energy, basically.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Well also that's up to preference really - if you are having issues or discomfort try a lighter mouse. if you are like me and have manly strong hands - maybe even weight down your existing one as i find light mouses feel kinda cheap in my hand.

1 hour ago, Ravendarat said:

seems like everyone is chasing lighter and lighter mice

Also i think that's just folks being competitive, like chaising a high score in a game

Futureproof your builds and try not to fry anything

Just learned this topic in physics. The lighter an object the less inertia it has. which is like a threshold until the force acting upon it causes it to accelerate. This allows faster movement in games for example, such as krunker, which requires really quick 360s. The other perspective however is that some people, such as sniper users (me), prefer slower movement for accuracy, which can be beneficial in some cases

As people already mentioned the basic physics behind it... yeah it definitely has difference, especially aim wise.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

This is why some prefer mice with adjustable weight (via pucks or some such).  It used to make more of a difference back in the days before mouse bungees, when all mice were corded, and lighter mice tended to spontaneously move if you released them.

I'm sure lightness can help.  That said, if shaving a gram from your mouse weight is going to be on par with diminishing returns from 165hz > 300hz monitors.

Yes. However there are dimininshing returns in my opinion. I remember when my 85 gram fk2 was considered lightweight, now i use a 55 gram ultralight 2. Soon i will get a 39 gram HSK wireless.

A light mouse is absolutley better and the lighter the better for competetive play. However shape is still the main factor when considering a mouse.