October 18th Apple Event - Unleashed - Apple Silicon, MacBook Pro upgrades, HomePod mini, AirPods 3rd Generation

BondiBlue
Go to solution Solved by BondiBlue,

Summary

The Apple Unleashed event is over! Here are the new products that were announced:

• AirPods
    • New AirPods 3rd Generation: MagSafe wireless charging, Adaptive EQ, and longer battery life
  • HomePod mini
    • In addition to Space Gray and White, HomePod mini now comes in Blue, Yellow, and Orange
  • Apple Music
    • New Voice Plan starts at $4.99/month, allows for Apple Music through Siri, including new custom playlist
  • And yes, new Macs and Apple Silicon
    • The M1 chip is now part of a lineup of three SoC designs, including the M1, M1 Pro, and M1 Max
    • The MacBook Pro has been redesigned, bringing back more ports, MagSafe charging, better battery life, and more
      • The 14" MacBook Pro starts at $1999, and the 16" starts at $2499. The 13" M1 MBP is now the base model
      • Support for up to 64GB of unified memory and 8TB of flash storage
      • M1 Pro and Max both have 10 CPU cores, and M1 Max can have up to 32 GPU cores
      • Fast charging has been added to the MacBook Pro, allowing for up to 50% charge in only 30 minutes

My thoughts

I'm really excited for the new MacBook Pros. I plan on upgrading to a new 16" MacBook Pro within the next couple months, and I can't wait. 

Sources

Apple Events

The Verge

1 minute ago, saltycaramel said:

totally plausible that some titles are just clickbait channels came up with on their own

They are all click bait titles, LTT videos are that, self admitted. That's like asking "Do you like views" and them answering "No", don't see that changing any time soon.

1 minute ago, saltycaramel said:

I’m not the one who’s decided to play the two-step unveiling hype game. 

That’s Intel. 

Huh?  its just a way of saying that until the Intel shit hits the shelves and is tested in the real world,   anything we read or say about them now is speculation at best and simply made up rubbish at worst.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

18 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Huh?  its just a way of saying that until the Intel shit hits the shelves and is tested in the real world,   anything we read or say about them now is speculation at best and simply made up rubbish at worst.

I see. (not a native speaker here)

Still that’s per Intel deliberate timeline (1st embargo for teasing, dry hump unboxing, explaining e-cores, explaining ddr5, etc. was lifted yesterday and 2nd embargo for reviews will be lifted on 4th Nov). That’s the way it’s intended. Also “speculation” from the people who are benchmarking them already is of some significance.

1 hour ago, saltycaramel said:

I see. (not a native speaker here)

Still that’s per Intel deliberate timeline (1st embargo for teasing, dry hump unboxing, explaining e-cores, explaining ddr5, etc. was lifted yesterday and 2nd embargo for reviews will be lifted on 4th Nov). That’s the way it’s intended. Also “speculation” from the people who are benchmarking them already is of some significance.

I certainly wouldn't take any companies word or early release PR as an indication of anything.  They are all shocking,  everything from unqualified bar graphs to irrelevant benchmark comparisons and flashy tech acronyms that mean little in the real world. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 hours ago, leadeater said:

Doesn't have RGB, can't be better.

~50 fps vs ~18 fps export performance, that RGB has some heavy lifting to make up for.

I mean the leap is so huge that it actually makes me wonder if anything else is worth investing in, especially desktops. I'll wait for more reviews but so far it seems like selling my gaming desktop and my MacBook Air to get a MacBook Pro isn't a bad option.

11 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

selling my gaming desktop

I think I'd still recommend you kept a gaming console hanging around (good look getting hold of one) if you want to play the latest and greatest.

The colour issue on the video when in Resolve is weird though. I hope he's used Feedback Assistant to report that to Apple instead of just moaning about it on YouTube.

6 minutes ago, Paul Thexton said:

The colour issue on the video when in Resolve is weird though. I hope he's used Feedback Assistant to report that to Apple instead of just moaning about it on YouTube.

I would not be surprised if this is an issue with resolve not reading the colour space of the screen correctly. It might not have expected the laptop monitor to have that color space so might not have attached the correct metadata tags to the view. Apples colour space stuff is quite complicated and if your doing stuff that includes HDR content (as this did) you need to ensure you annotate the views rendering HDR data so that those parts fo the screen get the full HDR range while the rest of the UI is nice and useable. 

5 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

You’re right.

Unless they pump the frequency a bit thanks to the desktop-grade cooling in the iMac Pro and MacCubePro. 

I strongly doubt that will happen.

What we will see is more CPU cores, more GPU cores, maybe some more NPU cores and maybe some more ASIC stuff but no frequency bump.

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

I certainly wouldn't take any companies word or early release PR as an indication of anything.  They are all shocking,  everything from unqualified bar graphs to irrelevant benchmark comparisons and flashy tech acronyms that mean little in the real world. 

I agree, and Intel, or AMD to be fair putting out PR and benchmarks with tech acronyms no one is going to care about except reviewers isn't anything new, not sure why anyone is surprised.

I don't get excited for PR and first party benchmarks anymore, reviews with real benchmarks is much more interesting.

19 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

Easy to replace batteries with pull tabs

https://www.ifixit.com/News/54122/macbook-pro-2021-teardown

Right to replace battery. 

For damage repairs, still a good idea to have AppleCare probably. 

To think that just 4 years ago MS released an Alcantara-lined Surface Laptop that could only be opened destructively. What were they thinking. 

If you're going to make a comparison at least be fair with it, the 2019 mbp has a glued in battery. Pull tabs are better, but not when they break and not nearly as nice as screws.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+16-Inch+2019+Battery+Replacement/135185

I’ve made no scientific comparison.

I’ve made a “how far we’ve come” comment about 2 extremes we’ve witnessed in the span of a few years.

Hopefully we’re now past those dark times, both on the MS and Apple side. (but that MS laptop was egregiously bad at that)

35 minutes ago, Paul Thexton said:

dam you beat me to it. Finally someone on YouTube made a video on gaming benchmarks. I used to remember that’s what every tech channel did, but now they don’t even care anymore…  

4 minutes ago, Dionyz said:

dam you beat me to it. Finally someone on YouTube made a video on gaming benchmarks. I used to remember that’s what every tech channel did, but now they don’t even care anymore…  

Yeah. Especially when it comes to Macs. Andrew's channel is really excellent.

I haven't bought my new Mac for gaming, but it's a nice little bonus to know that there are at least some fun games to play should I get the itch to.

8 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Pull tabs are better, but not when they break and not nearly as nice as screws.

Given that the last think you want to do is put a single point of pressure on a swelling battery (or even when the device is dropped) the challenge with screws is how you use them to retain the battery without creating a non-uniform point of pressure and thus risking a battery fire.  

You can put the entire battery in a rigid case, this reduces the volume by quite a bit.

You could try to retain it using a brace bar across the battery but this does result in a localised pressure long the edge of that brace as the battery expands. (remember most many will not bother replacing it haver ears it is to replace).  

If these strips are like the phones then if they break you can still remove them with height + cleaning alcohol.  

1 hour ago, hishnash said:

Given that the last think you want to do is put a single point of pressure on a swelling battery (or even when the device is dropped) the challenge with screws is how you use them to retain the battery without creating a non-uniform point of pressure and thus risking a battery fire.  

You can put the entire battery in a rigid case, this reduces the volume by quite a bit.

You could try to retain it using a brace bar across the battery but this does result in a localised pressure long the edge of that brace as the battery expands. (remember most many will not bother replacing it haver ears it is to replace).  

If these strips are like the phones then if they break you can still remove them with height + cleaning alcohol.  

Or you could transition to different battery technology that doesn't even have this problem at all. There's lithium based battery technology that you can literally cut sections off the battery or stab through it and it keeps working and does not explode in your face.

If you want to find out what it is I'm fairly sure it was in a PBS documentary on battery technology.

Edit:

Found it

Just a clip from the entire documentary but the relevant section so better

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

Or you could transition to different battery technology that doesn't even have this problem at all. There's lithium based battery technology that you can literally cut sections off the battery or stab through it and it keeps working and does not explode in your face.

For sure the current generation of batteries the industry is using as very scary but likely at this point in time this is supply constrained for a product that will sell in the volumes of these macBookPro laptops. 

13 minutes ago, hishnash said:

For sure the current generation of batteries the industry is using as very scary but likely at this point in time this is supply constrained for a product that will sell in the volumes of these macBookPro laptops. 

Well Apple could just buy rights to make them 🙂

14 hours ago, hishnash said:

Or they could just make phones like they used to with a removable back and battery so if it does have an issue any clown with fingers can get it out.  

But hey, it's far better to sell a whole new phone than to make products user serviceable and last a few years longer. 😡

48 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Or they could just make phones like they used to with a removable back and battery so if it does have an issue any clown with fingers can get it out.  

Would massively reduce battery size, your talking less than 50% the capacity.  

50 minutes ago, mr moose said:

But hey, it's far better to sell a whole new phone than to make products user serviceable and last a few years longer. 😡

You can be agree but iOS users tend to keep their phones and use them for much longer than android phones. Turns out it is cheap and easy to get a older phones battery replaced almost anywhere in the world. Unless you make the capacity extremely small there would be no good reason for this to be easily user-replaceable the tradeoffs for day to day use are just way to high. And it would also be a nightmare to keep water tight leading to many many more failing phones (water damage is what kills most electronics). 

15 minutes ago, hishnash said:

Mmmm I very much doubt much capacity would be lost. Firstly the battery can already be replaced so the issue is with the case and the ability to open it which is very much not a hard issue to solve, don't even need the entire back to come off just a panel section to access the battery which is not only doable it has been done.

If it requires 1mm extra thickness then that is both a worth while trade and barely noticeable if at all.

Here I see water ingress resistance as the only real valid problem.

8 minutes ago, hishnash said:

Doesn't have too, and certainly not by 50%.   We are literally only talking about a plastic case 1mm in thickness. 

8 minutes ago, hishnash said:

You can be agree but iOS users tend to keep their phones and use them for much longer than android phones. Turns out it is cheap and easy to get a older phones battery replaced almost anywhere in the world. Unless you make the capacity extremely small there would be no good reason for this to be easily user-replaceable the tradeoffs for day to day use are just way to high. And it would also be a nightmare to keep water tight leading to many many more failing phones (water damage is what kills most electronics). 

And imagine how much longer they could use them for if they could replace the battery and screen when they die.   Arguments about water tight,  thickness and comparisons to other companies don't hold.    I've  carried a mobile phone since 1993,  Water was never a problem,  dropping them was never a problem, putting them in your pocket was never a problem, batteries running out or being hard to replace were never a problem. Literally all the problems apple (and whoever else) tell you need to be fixed by making them as non-serviceable as they can were never problems before.  It's just  BS to sell more phones.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Here I see water ingress resistance as the only real valid problem.

I don't even see that as a problem,  it was never a problem before

18 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I don't even see that as a problem,  it was never a problem before

Not so much a problem, but they are more resistant now. But you don't actually need to go 5m diving with your phone so 🤷‍♂️

Phones are weaker now though, much weaker, the quest for thinness and edge to edge screens means they are inferior to pre-2010 era phones.